Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supafreak84's Mock Draft (version 1.0)
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
I think Minnesota needs a guy like Barrimore more than a DE. I think with Hunter and Pierce back, Wonnum might play a lot better. 
Yes, we do. We could feasibly stand pat at DE with Wonnum and Odenigbo in a rotation opposite Hunter and be OK. At the same time, it's such an impactful position worthy of a BPA pick in the 1st or 2nd. Anything beyond that and we're just adding the kind of players we already have. IOW, I draft one early or not at all. 

This is kind of along my line of thinking in that we could platoon Wonnum and Odenigbo again if we needed to and get something from the position, as to where we just cant do that at DT anymore. I also was encouraged by Wonnum flashing last season and with the physical skill set he has, there's upside there...

Odenigbo is a free agent... (IMO) the Vikings will probably not get into a bidding war to keep him.

I love Barmore, but I also like Nixon, Alim McNiell, Marvin Wilson and Levi Onwuzurike too. 

The Vikings will either be the team that starts the run on DT at pick 14,
or they will be the team that hopes a DT falls to them at pick 79.
Or they will move out of pick 14 or move up from pick 79 to land a DT.

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
Odenigbo is a free agent... (IMO) the Vikings will probably not get into a bidding war to keep him.

I love Barmore, but I also like Nixon, Alim McNiell, Marvin Wilson and Levi Onwuzurike too. 

Odenigbo is restricted though. They just have to tender him. Not sure he's worth a 2nd rounder tender, but the Vikings have used it in the past on similar players: Eric Wilson last year....Thielen, NIck Easton.

Yes he is a restricted free agent as mentioned by Maroon and I don't see a real bidding war for him. He is worth bringing back for the Vikings as a rotational player who knows the scheme, is versatile, and sounds like he knows he had a down year and wants to prove he is better then what his play showed last season.

Again give me starting DL of Wonnum, Barmore, Pierce, and Hunter with Odenigbo, Lynch, and whatever else we add in the draft.....getty up!

It's more than just putting a 2nd round tender on him... I think he is guaranteed a base salary of 2.914 M with that tender. Yes, Theilen and Wilson were worth it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you guys really want to pay a rotational guy 3M and then possibly draft another edge rusher when we are currently over the cap??

It's more than just putting a 2nd round tender on him... I think he is guaranteed a base salary of 2.914 M with that tender. Yes, Theilen and Wilson were worth it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you guys really want to pay a rotational guy 3M and then possibly draft another edge rusher when we are currently over the cap??
Like I said, I'm not sure he's worth a 2nd round tender. Tender him at his original round (7th) and see what happens. That's a pretty good deal for us if no one signs him. And if they do, we can match or just let him go. Either way, I don't think it's worth much sweat. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Carl Knowles said:

Like I said, I'm not sure he's worth a 2nd round tender. Tender him at his original round (7th) and see what happens. That's a pretty good deal for us if no one signs him. And if they do, we can match or just let him go. Either way, I don't think it's worth much sweat. 
Agreed....I read an article that said that Odenigbo was the 5th most double teamed DE last season. Yes, that was because we had nothing on the other side, but to let him walk without even an original round tender is foolish.

@MaroonBells   I agree. I hope Odenigbo comes backs.. but I can see another team giving up a 7th round pick and 1.5M to 2.5M for a low end starter.

Because Odenigbo didn't have the success I expected this season (3.5 sacks 3 TFL),.. it kind of hurts the Vikings ability to protect him IMO. Hercules Mata'afa (who moved to DE) and Jordan Bailford (who was added to the roster late in the year) both earned higher PFF grades than Odenigbo.

Depth at DE isn't an issue, we have D.J. Wonnum, Jalyn Holmes, Kenny Willekes, Hercules and Bailford.

Regardless of Odenigbo's return or not, the Vikings must add a blue-chip edge rusher via the draft. I would take Rousseau a 14 and then try to trade up into the 2nd rd for DT Daviyon Nixon or DT Alim McNeill.

Where is the draft at right now?... I think it's safe to say the rush for the DT class will probably not start until after the top 3 or 4 edge guys come off the board.

Daniel Jeremiah (a former NFL scout) has edge guys like Gregory Rousseau, Kwitty Paye, Jaelen Phillips and Jayson Owen all ranked higher than Barmore and Nixon.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah...nkings-1-0

@MaroonBells   I agree. I hope Odenigbo comes backs.. but I can see another team giving up a 7th round pick and 1.5M to 2.5M for a low end starter.

Because Odenigbo didn't have the success I expected this season (3.5 sacks 3 TFL),.. it kind of hurts the Vikings ability to protect him IMO. Hercules Mata'afa (who moved to DE) and Jordan Bailford (who was added to the roster late in the year) both earned higher PFF grades than Odenigbo.

Depth at DE isn't an issue, we have D.J. Wonnum, Jalyn Holmes, Kenny Willekes, Hercules and Bailford.

Regardless of Odenigbo's return or not, the Vikings must add a blue-chip edge rusher via the draft. I would take Rousseau a 14 and then try to trade up into the 2nd rd for DT Daviyon Nixon or DT Alim McNeill.

Where is the draft at right now?... I think it's safe to say the rush for the DT class will probably not start until after the top 3 or 4 edge guys come off the board.

Daniel Jeremiah (a former NFL scout) has edge guys like Gregory Rousseau, Kwitty Paye, Jaelen Phillips and Jayson Owen all ranked higher than Barmore and Nixon.

I'm not as high on Rousseau, and certainly not Paye as some others.  I just think when it comes to impact getting a legitimate 3 technique to compliment the pieces already coming back does more for this team then any other position and you know Zimmer is going to be pounding the table to reboot this defense. To me Eric Kendricks was in the conversation for defensive player of the year prior to injury with Stephen and Johnson as his front.  Can you imagine what he does getting Pierce in their along with say a Christian Barmore? I would certainly place Barmore's upside probably higher then most of those edge guys outside of Phillips

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Carl Knowles said:

I'm not as high on Rousseau, and certainly not Paye as some others.  I just think when it comes to impact getting a legitimate 3 technique to compliment the pieces already coming back does more for this team then any other position and you know Zimmer is going to be pounding the table to reboot this defense. To me Eric Kendricks was in the conversation for defensive player of the year prior to injury with Stephen and Johnson as his front.  Can you imagine what he does getting Pierce in their along with say a Christian Barmore? I would certainly place Barmore's upside probably higher then most of those edge guys outside of Phillips
I agree with you in large part, but I think you highlighted the issue with Barmore: "I would certainly place Barmore's upside probably higher then most of those edge guys". Upside eventually, but what will he be contributing in 2021? I actually see him as a prospect much like Kevin Williams: enormous potential that probably won't be realized for a year or two. Drop him into the starting lineup on day 1 and there will probably be some mistakes, not necessarily an immediate defensive upgrade.