Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stafford traded to Rams for Goff, picks...
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Its the niners on line one with the same offer for Cousins ( except replacing goff with garapolol)   any takers ....besides me?
I doubt any team would give up one 1st round pick for Cousins.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Carl Knowles said:
My question is,... out of the teams making strong offers for Stafford (49ers, Panthers, Colts, Broncos, Washington) would any of them turn their focus to Cousins since he is a "comp type" player to Stafford?
Cousins might actually be a better QB. He's certainly been more durable.

But perception is reality and the likely perception around the league is that Stafford is a toolsy QB whose team has prevented him from greatness. Cousins is the opposite. A QB brought in to take a talented roster over the top and has (so far) failed. 
I think this is absolutely correct. Players' draft evaluation stays with them a long time - IMO it's why Sam Bradford had teams still believing he could be their savior after failing with two franchises and repeated injuries that were adding up to collapse.

Stafford is still seen as a #1 overall pick who many GMs scouted a decade ago and drooled about his talent. He was stuck in one of the worst franchises in the league and still played fairly well. A lot of GMS and coaches think they can magnify his output with a good surrounding cast and coaching. Cousins, OTOH, was a 4th-rounder and my guess is most everyone thinks he overachieved and has peaked, especially since a team that was 13-3 without him has not improved.

Spielman's phone is not ringing with offers for Cousins...besides, nothing has indicated the Vikings have any desire to move him.

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
Zimmer has said it's the worst defense he has coached. If it's going to take him two or three years to rebuild it... Rick might as well take a first round pick for Cousins while the market is hot.

That defense was missing 3 key starters, that's almost a third of it, it can easily be fixed this season.

Quote: @Carl Knowles said:
@supafreak84 said:
@HappyViking said:
@Carl Knowles said:
My question is,... out of the teams making strong offers for Stafford (49ers, Panthers, Colts, Broncos, Washington) would any of them turn their focus to Cousins since he is a "comp type" player to Stafford?

I wonder if Rick is having a busy day on the phone
today?  I wouldn't mind if the Vikes "Herscheled" the 49ers or
some other team for Cousins.

If the 49ers gave us their 1st round pick (12th) and a swap for Garopollo.....bye Kirk
Yes, but what if the Panthers had an offer of the #8 pick plus Teddy Bridgewater on the table for Stafford,... and got outbid? That offer IMO would trump the 49ers #12 pick and Jimmy G.

I believe those offers were on table and the Rams had to dig deeper. 
Did the Rams outbid? I think people are overreacting to the headlines. They got 2 future first round picks - in 2022 and 2023. Isn't the standard trade logic that a pick next year is worth a pick 1 round lower this year? And, since the Rams were 10-6 this year (and won a playoff game) and have a young roster that now added Stafford, those 1st-round picks will probably be in the late 20s.

So that 2022 #1 is worth a #2 this year, and the 2023 #1 is worth a #3 this year. That would mean the Rams actually sent Detroit the equivalent of 1 2nd-round and 2 3rd-round picks in this year's draft. They also have to carry Goff's big contract for a while. This is NOT necessarily a "rebuild the franchise" trade for Detroit. 

IMO the Rams are a lot like the Vikings were when they acquired Cousins in 2018: betting their roster is in its window to win and adding a QB they hope can take them to another Super Bowl. (But...aren't they going to be without a 1st-round pick for 6 years straight??)

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@Carl Knowles said:

I don't think the Vikings have any interest in trading Cousins. First of all, unlike the Lions, they're not rebuilding. Second, they'd have to replace him. With who? Jimmy G? Maybe. But third, unlike the Lions, who sit at #7 and can easily land one of the top 3 QBs, rendering their new QB an expensive "bridge," Vikings don't have the same outlook. 

The only QB who might still be there at 14 is Mac Jones. And while I think he's underrated, call me a little uneasy about watching us waste the careers of Danielle, Dalvin, Jefferson, et al while we wait for the Jimmy-Mac combo to get us to the promised land. Is that even an upgrade? I don't think so. 

I'd rather send an army of picks to Texas for Watson. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@Carl Knowles said:

I don't think the Vikings have any interest in trading Cousins. First of all, unlike the Lions, they're not rebuilding. Second, they'd have to replace him. With who? Jimmy G? Maybe. But third, unlike the Lions, who sit at #7 and can easily land one of the top 3 QBs, rendering their new QB an expensive "bridge," Vikings don't have the same outlook. 

The only QB who might still be there at 14 is Mac Jones. And while I think he's underrated, call me a little uneasy about watching us waste the careers of Danielle, Dalvin, Jefferson, et al while we wait for the Jimmy-Mac combo to get us to the promised land. Is that even an upgrade? I don't think so. 

This is exactly what I've been thinking about Mac Jones...I'm not convinced his upside is any higher than where we are today with KC. 

Now, if the Vikings want to get really bold? And get one of the top 3 qb's? That's a whole other discussion, and one I'd gladly participate in. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Its the niners on line one with the same offer for Cousins ( except replacing goff with garapolol)   any takers ....besides me?
I certainly wouldn't hang up, especially if it's a #1 this draft.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@MaroonBells said:
@HappyViking said:
@Carl Knowles said:

This is exactly what I've been thinking about Mac Jones...I'm not convinced his upside is any higher than where we are today with KC. 

Now, if the Vikings want to get really bold? And get one of the top 3 qb's? That's a whole other discussion, and one I'd gladly participate in. 

Yes, but "boldness" is expensive and risky. Chicago traded 4 picks to move up one spot to take Trubisky. Bust. Rams traded two 1sts, two 2nds and two 3rds to move up to take Jared Goff. Bust. Washington traded THREE 1sts and a 2nd to move up for RGIII. Bust. 

I tend to think in percentages and likelihoods. Cousins isn't a perfect QB, but I just think we're more likely to win a Super Bowl next year with him and a couple additions at 3T and LG, than a rookie QB without those additions. 

That's the thing about the draft. It's a no-peek hand. You hope for Mahomes, but odds say you're much more likely to draw a Wentz or Winston or Mariota or Bortles. And look at what you just paid to look at your hand!

My exception is Watson. If you're talking about a still-young, proven QB? I'd pay a lot for that. I know I'd have to, but there's no risk. You know what he is. 

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I doubt any team would give up one 1st round pick for Cousins.

I didn't expect anybody to come close to the haul the Rams gave up for Stafford.  I think Stafford is a top 15 QB in the league, but he's going to be 33 years old next month. I was figuring maybe a second or third round pick would be the market for him.  This is the start of a very crazy QB offseason so I hope the Vikings are at least open to entertaining offers.  Cousins has had as much or more success in the league then Stafford has with a couple years less starting experience.