Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down go the Pukers
On the one hand I enjoyed their loss immensely.

On the other, they are consistent contenders for 30 years while we are mostly irrelevant, and no single game really changes that sad fact.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
After scoring to make it 28-23 Aaron went over to his defense and said "Get a stop". They did and then his offense went 3-and-out. After holding Tampa to a field goal, they marched down and he was unable to deliver a touchdown inside the 10 yard line, which included a wide open path for a touchdown run. Seems like the moment was a little too big for Aaron
Most people are blaming Lafleur, but as you point out, Rodgers had 3 shots and failed...why does everyone assume "fourth time is the charm"? Maybe they would have scored, but if not - the universal story today would be that Lafleur should have taken the points to make it a game the Packers could win with 1 TD. 

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
Rodgers drops to 1-4 in NFC Championships...!  :o 

The guy just can't win big games.  He's a game manager at best on a bloated contract.  The Viki....I mean Packers should draft his replacement. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
After scoring to make it 28-23 Aaron went over to his defense and said "Get a stop". They did and then his offense went 3-and-out. After holding Tampa to a field goal, they marched down and he was unable to deliver a touchdown inside the 10 yard line, which included a wide open path for a touchdown run. Seems like the moment was a little too big for Aaron
Most people are blaming Lafleur, but as you point out, Rodgers had 3 shots and failed...why does everyone assume "fourth time is the charm"? Maybe they would have scored, but if not - the universal story today would be that Lafleur should have taken the points to make it a game the Packers could win with 1 TD. 
Both deserve blame. You can accept the loss with Rodgers throwing an incompletion on 4th down because that was the right call. The dumb call was kicking a field goal...and how about the Tampa kick returner sliding down with 2:02 remaining...why didnt he keep going to ensure the 2 minute warning hit? Also, Tampa should have declined the off sides when it was 2nd and 1.

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
Both deserve blame. You can accept the loss with Rodgers throwing an incompletion on 4th down because that was the right call. The dumb call was kicking a field goal...and how about the Tampa kick returner sliding down with 2:02 remaining...why didnt he keep going to ensure the 2 minute warning hit? Also, Tampa should have declined the off sides when it was 2nd and 1.
The return guy must have thought he was under 2 mins. He was told to slide to avoid any fumbles. He did it 2 seconds earlier :-)
I have no idea why they did not decline the penalty. That was pretty stupid of them (I thought that was a given). Glad it worked out.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
Because he's Aaron Rodgers who was playing really well despite being under a ton of pressure from Tampa Bay's front 4.

I get the analytics side saying that going for it is about the same win probability as kicking the FG, but in that situation you throw analytics out the window.  Give your MVP QB a shot to tie the game.  If you don't get it, the Bucs are pinned inside the 10 and maybe don't call the same types of plays they did when they were out past the 20 with more room to operate.

In my opinion, LaFleuer should have trusted his QB instead of analytics.  I'd be livid if this was Zimmer and the Vikings in that situation with Rodgers as our QB.  Since it was the Packers, I'm laughing at it instead.

Quote: @"comet52" said:

On the other, they are consistent contenders for 30 years while we are mostly irrelevant, and no single game really changes that sad fact.
and they were cellar dwellars for the 20+ years prior to that 30 year run.  Would you trade 25 years of watching shit football for 2 lombardis,  or do you like having ups and downs with more ups than downs?  i thought it was funny that the 2 final teams in the NFC this year were two teams that would annually fight for 3rd place in the NFCN when I was growing up.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"comet52" said:

and they were cellar dwellars for the 20+ years prior to that 30 year run.  Would you trade 25 years of watching shit football for 2 lombardis,  or do you like having ups and downs with more ups than downs?  i thought it was funny that the 2 final teams in the NFC this year were two teams that would annually fight for 3rd place in the NFCN when I was growing up.
I just want at least 1. I don't think that's much to ask.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"Hawkvike25" said:
Because he's Aaron Rodgers who was playing really well despite being under a ton of pressure from Tampa Bay's front 4.

I get the analytics side saying that going for it is about the same win probability as kicking the FG, but in that situation you throw analytics out the window.  Give your MVP QB a shot to tie the game.  If you don't get it, the Bucs are pinned inside the 10 and maybe don't call the same types of plays they did when they were out past the 20 with more room to operate.

In my opinion, LaFleuer should have trusted his QB instead of analytics.  I'd be livid if this was Zimmer and the Vikings in that situation with Rodgers as our QB.  Since it was the Packers, I'm laughing at it instead.
Yep, I would have went total apeshit. Ridiculousness he didn't put it on Rodgers, who probably would have come thru. But like you say, loved every minute of it.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"comet52" said:

I grew up in the 70's watching great Viking teams stomp on crummy Packer squads.  They kept Bart Starr in the coach job way too long, he was their Mike Zimmer, lol.  Always gonna get em next year...sure you are, bud.

But we don't live in the 70s here in 2020, and 30 years of being 2nd most of the time (or worse) is what I'm tired of.