Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Be Sure To Tune In To The Roofclaim.com Boca Raton Bowl Tonight
Yo, just keeping it real home fry. Smile 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
The F-it price is going to be quite steep. If he gets passed the Jets, he slides to 4. Tepper is already talking about drafting a QB until you get one that can lead you to a SB. It'll take multiple 1s and additional draft capital to get in range for Wilson. 

On the other hand, if you are set on getting the QBOTF, Lance might be there at 14. It wasn't until someone compared him to McNair that the light went on for me. Seems like a reasonable comp and a guy who would greatly need/benefit from a couple years under the grow light. 

But, it's far more likely that the bulk of these guys turn into Gabbert, Ponder, Trubisky than Mahomes or Watson. Add to that, the financial commitment on the books, a QBOTF is about as likely Kate Upton showing up in my Christmas stocking.
Yea the scenario's are too many right now but I will admit that if we need to get into the 4 range even from 14 we probably don't have the Capital.  We don't even have a second rounder next year, right?  As you also point out their might be someone like Lance available when we pick at around 14.  Who Knows?  I know I am all over Wilson but I am just using him as an example of doing what it takes to get the guy you want.  If our brass love Lance and think he might go before our pick at 14 then I want us to have that conviction to go get him.  If it is Lance or Wilson and we have a chance for them in the 6-10 range then I want us to go for it.  But #4 might be too high for us to get too so I see your point.  I want this team to be ready to pounce as soon as "our" guy is within reach and with a potential 5+ 1st round QB's I think this is the year to do so after due diligence regardless of current QB situation.  Just like most of life...if you wait until the perfect time it will never come.

Trust me, I'd probably sell my soul for Wilson. I just don't see it happening with all the realities of the franchise. I do think it is possible to double dip into the back end of the first and pull off landing two guys to address the OL and DL. 

Not exactly a red rider bee bee gun, but at least you won't shoot your eye out.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
To me he is a similar player and prospect to Baker Mayfield. I'd be surprised to see him slip out of the top 15 picks
Sam Howell from UNC actually reminds me a lot of Baker. Similar size, look, and arm strength

Quote: @"Hawkvike25" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
To me he is a similar player and prospect to Baker Mayfield. I'd be surprised to see him slip out of the top 15 picks
Sam Howell from UNC actually reminds me a lot of Baker. Similar size, look, and arm strength
I'll have to check out more on Howell I have only caught some passing glimpses.

I did find this revealing intel on wiki for him:

Personal life[edit]Howell is the son of Duke and Amy Howell.[14] Howell is a Christian.[15]

So if Wilson would cost this years and next years 1st would you do it?

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
 Add to that, the financial commitment on the books, a QBOTF is about as likely Kate Upton showing up in my Christmas stocking.
You'd only be able to cram one of her breasts in the stocking. Just sayin'. 

Quote: @"Evilleviking93" said:
yes and twice on Christmas.  you do that so fast you dont even have to stop and think about it.  

This years first is about 14,  lets assume next years first is also about 14,  but since its really the equvalent of a mid round 2 in this years draft,  based on the draft pick value charts though that still isnt enough to get into range for Wilson who IMO will be the 2nd QB taken,  likely at 2 or 3.  with the 2 firsts scenario that would get us up to about pick 7 from 14.  would probably have to add all our 3rd and 4th rounders to make that move.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Evilleviking93" said:
yes and twice on Christmas.  you do that so fast you dont even have to stop and think about it.  

This years first is about 14,  lets assume next years first is also about 14,  but since its really the equvalent of a mid round 2 in this years draft,  based on the draft pick value charts though that still isnt enough to get into range for Wilson who IMO will be the 2nd QB taken,  likely at 2 or 3.  with the 2 firsts scenario that would get us up to about pick 7 from 14.  would probably have to add all our 3rd and 4th rounders to make that move.
The Bills moved up from 12 to 7 to get Josh Allen in the 2018 draft.  They gave away their 12 pick and their 2 second round picks (53 and 56) all in that year. So, as JimmyinSD said, f we are picking in the 14/15 range this draft then two 1's is not enough to even get in that 7 range.  

So I would do a deal as the draft unfolds again like Buffalo did.  Buffalo has a deal with the Broncos at 5 but when Chubb fell to 5 the Broncos picked him instead of trading back.  Then the Bills started negotiating their way down the line to get Allen.

We have to wait until the actual draft is unfolding to see if our guy starts falling past 5 then get aggressive.  That is what I am hoping Spelly and the brass are preparing to do.  This draft is supposedly loaded with first round QB's - 5+ and I want the guy that our draft room deems the best after Lawrence and Fields (we don't have enough ammo to get either).  Of course I am a huge fan of Wilson but I will defer to the actual professionals whose careers depend on making the right picks Smile 

Quote: @"minny65" said:
I want us to go get the GM who is best known for drafting multiple HOF QB's.  The GM that didn't have HOF QB's fall right into the draft-able position they already had.  The GM who has never drafted a QB clunker and has never made a bad decision.  Of course that GM does not exist.  Wolf traded with the Falcons for Favre, Ted T drafted Rodgers who most would say fell into his lap, Jerry Jones drafted Dak in the 4th round and Belicheat drafted Brady in the the 7th???  So are these guys proven HOF GM's?  Have these guys then drafted another HOF QB?

What about Mahomes draft - the Chiefs GM who orchestrated - Dorsey - left the team before Mahomes started.  

All these guys were not good QB draft-ers until they were.  That is what the whole draft is at every position but QB is the most important position in football of course.  I don't know of any one GM who can lay claim to finding a diamond-in-the-rough multiple times and is known as the ultimate QB guru draft-er?  I might be missing that person?  IMO - Belicheat is not really a great drafter overall but he did draft Brady, and some serviceable guys like Cassel and then Garappollo etc.  But without the blind squirrel find of Brady would we consider these other QB's a great find?

Anyway:

This is a draft that we are going to be in "move-up" range for a top QB because we should be in low/mid teens and there look to be around 5 QB's as first rounders.  Most drafts do not have more then 2 or 3 projected 1st rounders and this could have 5+ when it is all said and done.  I have no problem with the Wilf's telling Spelly that we need to look towards the future (like 2 years in advance progressive planning) and make a decision for a young QB in round 1.  If they feel like Spelly is not the guy for that job then we need a new GM and coach with a keen eye on QB like the Chiefs and Bills have both done recently.  

I feel like this has become a franchise that just wades-in-the-water of mediocracy with the constant thought we just need to tweak over here and get player X back 100% and all is good.  I've seen enough of this for many years as a Viking fan over many many coaches, GM's, and ownership.  

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas/Hanukkah is a Viking ownership epiphany that we will no longer wade-in-the warm waters of mediocracy or a risk adverse acceptance.  Look into Christmas recent past franchises that have turned their Longships in the right direction towards the New Land/Vahalla with drafting QB conviction.  Everyone should be playing the Immigrant song right now...I will pause for you to do so 3, 2, 1.

Then drumroll....FKin draft Zach Wilson at all cost.  Heck, I'll start a go-F'it-account.

I don't give a rats arse that we have Cousins and his huge contract.  I want the Cousins/huge contract with Zach Wilson vs the Cousin/huge contract without Zach Wilson Smile  I want to have hope for years to come not the tepid warm waters of oh let's draft (non QB) player X at our draft position #15 and all is well in the world.  We can't wait for a stud QB to fall into our laps (like Rodgers) because that is the only position that can turn a ship.  We have had Moss, AD, JJeff fall into our laps and that can make many satisfied and entertained for years but without that QB it is just a warm bath that in time turns into the feeling that someone is pizzing down your leg.

Merry Christmas everyone Smile

After Lawrence, Wilson is my favorite QB in the draft. So far anyway. Just not sure we should sell the farm to go get him. I'm undecided on that. 

I agree completely with the first part of your post. Truth is nobody drafts QBs well. Nobody. The NFL has drafted 273 QBs since Tom Brady was drafted. What's the hit rate? Less than 1%. 
Patriots were so smart they waited 6 rounds to draft Tom Brady. And then they drafted Ryan Mallett. 
Are the Chiefs brilliant because they drafted Mahomes? Well good on them, but this is a team who typically got its QBs via free agency or trade. Until Mahomes, they hadn’t drafted a QB in the first round since Todd Blackledge 37 years ago. A bust.
Seahawks? Because they waited three rounds to draft Russell Wilson? Smart group, that Seattle. Same team who drafted Rick Mirer #2 overall two years after drafting Dan McGuire in the 1st. 
Josh Allen looks like a hit, but this team also drafted EJ Manuel and JP Losman in the 1st. Looks like Tannehill isn't a bust anymore. But this is the same team who draft Marcus Mariota and Vince Young. Baker Mayfield looks like he might be turning a corner. I guess after Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, Brady Quinn, and Tim Couch, they deserve that one. Lucky he fell to them all the way down to #1. Kyler Murray? Same, but Josh Rosen and Matt Leinart would like a word. Lamar Jackson? Kyle Boller. Deshaun Watson? David Carr. Etc, etc, etc.