Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Zimmer never wanted the Vikings to sign Kirk Cousins
Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
I don't think Zimmer wanted Case especially after that comment about the horseshoe and Teddy was hurt by how things were handled. I understand the hesitation with Teddy though. I still think there is one more year of Cousins unless there is a trade partner. They still need to draft a qb. 
well if there is one more year there will be 2 more years.
I don't think they make the final year because of the numbers but we'll see. Hoping for improving the OL otherwise well it will continue to go downhill.
see my above post... if they dont move on from him after this year.... his final year is guaranteed... there is no out for 2022 if he is on the roster day 3 of the 2021 league year which starts in a little over 4 months.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Zanary said:
Meh.

Cousins is one member of a team that's in complete disarray right now.  Atlanta was able to score at will...and they were seen as more pathetic than us going into Sunday's game.

The o-line is an ongoing problem, Cook is missing time again, and it looks like Special Teams is the only portion of the team that's doing...decently...with any consistency.

Cousins is having an awful season, but all of the focus on him is as ridiculous as all of the cap hit for him.  There is a whole team to consider, and the whole team is basically broken right now.
This. The Viking fanbase is SO ready to jump down Cousin's throat for almost anything. Way too convenient. This defense is abysmal. 

And lol at Vikingage. Its basically a gossip column. The headline is clickbait. 
I posted this to stimulate a conversation, not to satisfy your entitlement on all things internet...  B) 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
I don't think Zimmer wanted Case especially after that comment about the horseshoe and Teddy was hurt by how things were handled. I understand the hesitation with Teddy though. I still think there is one more year of Cousins unless there is a trade partner. They still need to draft a qb. 
I don't think they make the final year because of the numbers but we'll see. Hoping for improving the OL otherwise well it will continue to go downhill.
see my above post... if they dont move on from him after this year.... his final year is guaranteed... there is no out for 2022 if he is on the roster day 3 of the 2021 league year which starts in a little over 4 months.
Lolz I think you have to create a new thread where the title reads HIS FINAL YEAR IS GUARANTEED UNLESS HE'S OFF THE ROSTER ON DAY 3 OF 2021 LEAGUE YEAR

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
Lolz I think you have to create a new thread where the title reads HIS FINAL YEAR IS GUARANTEED UNLESS HE'S OFF THE ROSTER ON DAY 3 OF 2021 LEAGUE YEAR
it does seem to be escaping some people doesnt it?   most likely because nobody would think anybody would be foolish enough to agree to that kind of language,  but they would be wrong.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vikergirl said:
it does seem to be escaping some people doesnt it?   most likely because nobody would think anybody would be foolish enough to agree to that kind of language,  but they would be wrong.
Kudos to Cousins' team on that one. Its basically like creating a no trade clause without actually having a no trade clause

So they have to make a decision by March and a deal by June. Cousins agent certainly made a good deal for his client.

So they have to make a decision by March and a deal by June. Cousins agent certainly made a good deal for his client.
horribly one sided contract.

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@Vikergirl said:
Sad but true but the front office went along with it.

@PSBLAKE said:
@Vikergirl said:
Sad but true but the front office went along with it.

The only justification for it is that they lowered Cousins' 2020 cap hit to $21M, down from $30M. They needed that money to give Dalvin Cook a new deal. Those 2 moves - keeping your middle-aged QB for three seasons and giving a RB a large deal - should prove to everyone that there was no intent to "tank" or even rebuild in the next couple years. These were moves by a GM who had faith he had the personnel to contend immediately. Both Cousins' and Cook's contracts tie the Vikings' hands until the end of the 2022 season.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@Vikergirl said:
So what were the other options at the time? Yeah exactly. I am all for moving on but they can't just yet. Unless they find a taker, they are stuck. They have to draft a new qb and he can sit until Cousins moves on somehow.
This is exactly it. Where the vikes were picking in the first round there were no QB's available. Frankly, there wasnt much available until way late in the draft and you arent going to start a late draft pick on a team that just went to the NFC Championship game. On to Free Agents: Cousins was by far the best choice. Some of you Keenum fans will think he was the better choice but just stop, no he wasnt. Teddy was a HUGE gamble at that time and when you are in your window, which the Vikings were, you dont take a gamble on Teddy. At the time it was the right choice because it was really the only choice. It sucks now, for sure, but if you replay the outcome, it's the same 99/100
there were plenty of people that argued that cousins game wasnt worth the money,  and in hindsight... they were right.

there was plenty of evidence that much of what we heard at the time has proven true.

Throws interceptions in clutch moments... check

Locks onto recievers... check

Immobile and doesnt escape pressure.... check

Stats built in garbage time against prevent defenses... check

you can get all that from a gamble or bargain QB and that is exactly what we have gotten and there were quite a few at the time that plenty vocal about it.  
Oh I agree, my argument is they had no other realistic options at QB for a team that just went to the NFC Championship game. Cousins was risky at the time because his record wasnt great, my point is there were no good QB's available in the draft that late in the first round or second round that were going to start. 
but you dont compound a weakness ( the QB position) by overpaying for a QB and then ultimately having to sacrifice at other positions.  we could have gotten Case and Teddy combined for less than what they paid Cousins and been just as competitive IMO.   What Cousins makes up for in accuracy he gives up in lack of pocket awareness and mobility to keenum,  and Teddy wouldnt have been ready that first year,  but he would have been a secure option to compete with a new draft pick if they had let Case go by now.

point is its not as cut and dry that Cousins was the only option IMO,  plenty didnt see it that way at the time and history has proven them right... the doubling down on the mistake is where I am fine with blowin this whole thing up and starting over from the GM on down... that was simply a mistake beyond comprehension IMO.
They were never going to pay Keenum starter money because he's not a starter. The year before Minnesota he threw 9 TDs and 11 picks. The year after, he threw 18 tds and 15 picks. I know he was great the one year for us, but fans on this site need to realize Keenum was not the answer at QB. Also, Teddy was a HUGE gamble at the time, so I do think Cousins was the only viable option at that time for a team that just went to the NFCCG.

Cousins was great last year and he sucks now. The contract sucks and it hurts us moving forward, but at the time it was the right move to sign Cousins (contract shouldn't have been $28MM a year I do agree on that).
So says you Smile. doesnt stop me from my signed Keenum jersey hanging right there with Moss, Favre and Smith.