Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ngakoue to Vikings
that works!

After a full morning of calling him Yannick Noah, I finally figured out how to say his name:

Yah*Nick In*Gah*Kway

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@ArizonaViking said:
I would not be surprised considering the Viking's salary cap issues, that someone will be traded in the next few days to off-balance Ngakoue's salary...
Word is they want to renegotiate Reiff's contract.
Why would Reiff make a change?  Unless they add years?

Remember all those who argued that paying Kirk Cousins would prevent us from fielding a competitive roster? Well, we've paid him for 3 seasons now and have him signed for two more. Meanwhile, we've been able to keep and/or sign Ngakoue, Hunter, Pierce, Kendricks, Barr, Harry, Harris, Rudolph, Thielen...and so far anyway, Cook is planning to play for us this season, hopefully allowing us to push that money to 2021, when contracts for Reiff, Rudy and maybe even Harry go off the books. I know that's a hard pill, but Harry has zero dead cap in '21. And about a $10M savings. 

I was not expecting this move at all. I figured that Odenigbo would at least be a decent starter and the bigger questions on the DL were a lack of talent at DT and no clear rotational DE. Ngakoue is "only" 6'2 245 with 32.5" arms, so I did not think that he'd fit the physical profile Zimmer usually looks for in a DE, but he's clearly been an effective if not dominant pass rusher, so production takes precedence over measurable. It's an opportunistic move for the Vikings. Jacksonville dropped their price for Ngakoue, Ngakoue took a pay cut to facilitate a move, & prior to the deal the Vikings were expected to have 14-picks in 2021, so moving a 2nd isn't as bad as it would normally be.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Ngakoue to get up to speed. I'm sure they can work him in on some sub packages early on and Odenigbo can hold the fort in the mean time. Plus in obvious passing downs, Odenigbo can move back inside and help cover for the lack of pass rush that we have at DT. Plus, both Hunter and Ngakoue are only 25, so if they can agree to a long term deal with Ngakoue, then Vikings should have a nice tandem of pass rushers for at least the next 5-years. They just need to make sure that they finally do something about 3T in 2021.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Remember all those who argued that paying Kirk Cousins would prevent us from fielding a competitive roster? Well, we've paid him for 3 seasons now and have him signed for two more. Meanwhile, we've been able to keep and/or sign Ngakoue, Hunter, Pierce, Kendricks, Barr, Harry, Harris, Rudolph, Thielen...and so far anyway, Cook is planning to play for us this season, hopefully allowing us to push that money to 2021, when contracts for Reiff, Rudy and maybe even Harry go off the books. I know that's a hard pill, but Harry has zero dead cap in '21. And about a $10M savings. 
I can definitely see Reiff gone next year, considering Ezra's waiting in the wings. And Anthony Harris might not stick next year, so there's that to ponder as well. But I still think guys like Harry, Rudy & Barr can stick next year with restructures that'll lessen the cap hit...or at least I hope so.

If anything, I'm just glad we have Brez on our side to worry about this and do his magic.

With Hunter and Ngakoue crashing on the edges on passing downs, it will sure take some of the pressure off our rookie and inexperienced corners...