Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justin Jefferson Draft Profile And Highlights
Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
[Image: vILguSrd_bigger.jpg]
Justin Jefferson was one of 5 WRs with Scouts Inc. grades over 90 (deemed a 'rare prospect'), which is the most since 2014. The fact that he was available to Minnesota at 22 surpassed the need for OT/CB at that pick, which the Vikings could address at 25.
I know that some draft experts were saying that most years, Jefferson would be the top WR prospect, but this is such a crazy WR class. I actually wouldn't mind doubling up at WR in the mid rounds, since our depth was really tested when Thielen was hurt last year. We will have Bisi with a year of experience & Sharpe, so better depth than last year, but it's such a deep WR class that I'd like to capitalize some more.

I'm also curious about how the Vikings wil handle the slot this year. Thielen, Jefferson, & Irv Smith are all very capable of playing the slot & I wonder if we'll see them utilize some bunch formations or 3 WR formations where Smith motions into a reiver spot? Jefferson is a really intriguing player & he gives someone who can be a gamebreaker. It's a great first step in recovering from losing a star player.

Quote: @Tyr said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Justin Jefferson was one of 5 WRs with Scouts Inc. grades over 90 (deemed a 'rare prospect'), which is the most since 2014. The fact that he was available to Minnesota at 22 surpassed the need for OT/CB at that pick, which the Vikings could address at 25.
I know that some draft experts were saying that most years, Jefferson would be the top WR prospect, but this is such a crazy WR class. I actually wouldn't mind doubling up at WR in the mid rounds, since our depth was really tested when Thielen was hurt last year. We will have Bisi with a year of experience & Sharpe, so better depth than last year, but it's such a deep WR class that I'd like to capitalize some more.

I'm also curious about how the Vikings wil handle the slot this year. Thielen, Jefferson, & Irv Smith are all very capable of playing the slot & I wonder if we'll see them utilize some bunch formations or 3 WR formations where Smith motions into a reiver spot? Jefferson is a really intriguing player & he gives someone who can be a gamebreaker. It's a great first step in recovering from losing a star player.

I'd like to see them add a WR too, just not sure what traits they'd look for. Would it be a deep threat like Mooney? A guy like Tyler Johnson? Who knows, but I'd like to see them add another receiver into the mix, and hopefully diversify that WR room.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@Tyr said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

I'd like to see them add a WR too, just not sure what traits they'd look for. Would it be a deep threat like Mooney? A guy like Tyler Johnson? Who knows, but I'd like to see them add another receiver into the mix, and hopefully diversify that WR room.
I wouldn't mind a pure deep threat guy, though Jefferson can definitely stretch the field. I'd probably avoid Hamler though, since he'd just add to the slot logjam. Though a dependable receiver like Van Jefferson or Tyler Johnson could make a lot of sense from a depth standpoint. It would help too if whatever extra WR they add would be a plus special teamer as either a returner or in coverage. Not our highest of needs, but with 12 picks, we could certainly add a guy in the 4th or 5th.

i would  like to see van jefferson .i did  did read the  vikings are really high on Hollins  who played late in the  year

STRENGTHS: Crafty footwork and savvy to create separation mid-route…uses hesitation and synchronized stems to snap out of his breaks…squares his body to the ball and attacks with his hands…competitive finisher and breaks tackles due to his body strength and toughness…leverages pursuit after the catch, setting up his cuts and forcing poor angles…fearless over the middle of the field, taking hits and keeping his feet/focus…tracks the deep ball well…mean-spirited blocker and won’t quit until after the whistle…wired right with the motivated, overachiever attitude that will aid his pro transition…impressive production, finishing his junior year second in the FBS in receptions (111) and touchdown catches (18) and third in receiving yards (1,540).

WEAKNESSES: Only average top-speed for the position…more quick than explosive…releases are a work in progress, occasionally taking too many steps to shake free vs. press…strong hands, but will battle focus drops at times (eight drops in 2019)…lean-framed target and lacks ideal bulk…lined up outside as a sophomore, but was almost exclusively inside as a slot receiver as a junior.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at LSU, Jefferson was the “Y” receiver in offensive coordinator Steve Ensminger’s offense, lining up almost exclusively in the slot as a junior. He proved to be Joe Burrow’s favorite target the last two seasons, setting a single-season school record with 111 receptions in 2019, which is the third-most in a season in SEC history (behind Amari Cooper and Jordan Matthews). A throwback pass catcher, Jefferson attacks defenders at the stem and always works to get open, playing with the gritty mindset to finish in a crowd. Although not a burner, his detailed footwork and understanding of route depth create passing windows and always make him available. Overall, Jefferson doesn’t possess elite suddenness, but he is a seasoned route runner with the physical ball skills and competitive make-up that translates to the NFL, projecting as a quarterback-friendly target ideally suited in the slot.

[Image: YGFkanW.png]

With Joe Burrow as his QB, Jefferson exploded for a 111/1540/18 (catches/yardsTDs) season and helped take the college football world by storm with such a devastating passing game. Jefferson’s 2019 numbers are jaw-dropping; he caught a ridiculous 83% of passes that came his way, and a contested ball was caught 92.3% of the time, which blows every other prospect’s percent out of the water. Jefferson has fantastic hands and was able to go up and catch some balls that appeared to be out of his range at first. He also crushed the combine, running a 4.43 ’40 and surpassed most peoples’ athletic expectations. The main concern I have with Jefferson is that he will likely be relegated to the slot, as he did rely on shorter routes and facing slot CBs. He wasn’t quite as adept at getting open via running great routes as others higher on this list; instead, I noticed he was better at getting open against zone defenses and would sit down in a hole and wait for the ball to be thrown to him. Jefferson could end up as the next Michael Thomas if used right.

Justin Jefferson Scouting Report by Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

Mismatch height, length
Red-zone weapon
Tracks the ball well
High points the ball well
Quality route runner
Solid hands
Enough speed to get downfield
Leaping ability
Very good body control
Adjusts well
Experienced and successful against good college programs
Late hands
Great practice player
Pushes teammates to get better

Weaknesses:

Not a burner
May lack deep speed for the NFL
Leaner frame
May not be a big separation receiver
Could be better off as a No. 2 receiver
Could stand to fill out his frame
Should add strength

Summary: Jefferson was a top recruit when he selected LSU, and it took some time for Jefferson to live up to the hype. He made a single catch as a freshman, but broke out as sophomore with 54 receptions for 875 yards and six touchdowns. In 2019, the junior was a superb weapon for Joe Burrow producing a lot of big plays for the Tigers' point-machine offense. Jefferson recorded 111 catches for 1,540 yards and 18 touchdowns. He then helped himself at the NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.43-second time in the 40-yard dash.

There is a lot to like about Jefferson for the NFL, as he has the skill set to be an effective starting receiver. He has mismatch height and length with solid hands, leaping ability, and body control downfield. That makes him very dangerous to make receptions over defensive backs and come down with contested catches even when he is covered. Jefferson high points the ball and is a dangerous red-zone weapon. While Jefferson is not a burner, he has enough quickness to get downfield and challenge defenses. He is a weapon to work the sideline and be tough wideout to defend on back shoulder, fades and slants.

Jefferson may not be a big separation receiver as a pro because he may not have elite speed to run by pro cornerbacks. He could be better off as a No. 2 receiver playing off a No. 1 and taking advantage of single coverage. It would help Jefferson to add some strength and fill out his frame for the next level.

There are some projections of Jefferson being a first-round pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. Some team sources say Jefferson could have a hard time making it into Round 1 because of the plethora of wide receiver prospects. Jefferson could be a good value pick in the second round and has a shot at going earlier.

Another bonus for Jefferson is that sources say the LSU staff raved to teams about Jefferson as a kid and worker. They say he also is a tremendous practice player who loves to compete and makes his teammates better by challenging them on the practice field. Jefferson is on the bubble of the first and second round, but that feedback could help get him into Thursday night.

Player Comparison: Marvin Jones. Jefferson and Jones (6-2, 198) are similar in size with athleticism, size and quickness. They aren't overwhelmingly dominant in their skill set, but are effective with a nice combination of talents. In the NFL, I could see Jefferson being a wideout similar to Jones.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1254567467713564672

A more athletic Keenan Allen?
I didn't like the Keenan Allen comparison at first (saw a couple different media folk make it) because I think Jefferson has better speed but Allen has a little more size. 

However, they both have excellent body control and I think Jefferson can be a high volume WR like Allen so maybe it does make sense.