Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Gopher football fans, look whats coming
No offense to die hard gopher fans,  but this 8-0 start has some people over looking the schedule.  It could be argued that the best team that they played in those first 7 was SDSU.  Not to take away from the Jack's,  but the gophers could be considered the Patriots of CFB.

Looking at their remaining schedule they could easily end up 9-3,  still a very nice year and will get an invite to a nice bowl game,  but finishing the season 1-3 would leave a bad taste in the mouth would it not?  Especially with all the talk of throwing a bunch more money at the coach. 

I am sure he will get it,  and in comparisons to the rest of the big 10 he likely deserves it,  but where does the salary elevator stop?  What do you give him if he actually wins a major bowl game or some how gets the team into the BCS playoffs?  At some point he is just a public university football coach and not  a guy during cancer, no?

I guess this isnt so much about Fleck as it is the state of coaching salaries being paid from public universities coffers.  Especially if they start paying players more than they already do.

I dont know how for real they are or not...For a college landscape devoid of winning for decades, you gotta take the good when it comes and just steep in it. 

Now if they beat Penn St? Then all of a sudden a lot of the doubt goes away. Thats a big if though. They get The Badgers at home too. 

Signed,
Just enjoying the ride

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
No offense to die hard gopher fans,  but this 8-0 start has some people over looking the schedule.  It could be argued that the best team that they played in those first 7 was SDSU.  Not to take away from the Jack's,  but the gophers could be considered the Patriots of CFB.

Looking at their remaining schedule they could easily end up 9-3,  still a very nice year and will get an invite to a nice bowl game,  but finishing the season 1-3 would leave a bad taste in the mouth would it not?  Especially with all the talk of throwing a bunch more money at the coach. 

I am sure he will get it,  and in comparisons to the rest of the big 10 he likely deserves it,  but where does the salary elevator stop?  What do you give him if he actually wins a major bowl game or some how gets the team into the BCS playoffs?  At some point he is just a public university football coach and not  a guy during cancer, no?

I guess this isnt so much about Fleck as it is the state of coaching salaries being paid from public universities coffers.  Especially if they start paying players more than they already do.
I don't think any Gopher fans have visions of getting into the CFP...  but this team is doing things it hasn't done since like 1960.  Honestly, I'm just looking at it compared to last season and Fleck's first season.  There is definitely tangible improvement with the football team.  Last year, we were blown out by Nebraska and Illinois before the Gophers found themselves later in the year and ripped off some impressive wins including annihilating Georgia Tech in their bowl game.

This year the script has been flipped.  The Gophers struggled a little against their non-conference teams, but have gotten better and better as the season has rolled along.  Instead of losing (and sometimes losing big) to the other teams in our conference, they are killing the teams they should beat.  We'll see what they do in the final 4 games.  This is the real test now.  If they win the Big 10 West, that's quite the accomplishment for Fleck and the football team in only his 3rd year.

I have no issue giving Fleck a salary boost that is more in line with his peers in the conference.  He's earned it IMO. The question you posed about how much a college football coach should be paid is a completely separate topic...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I dont know how for real they are or not...For a college landscape devoid of winning for decades, you gotta take the good when it comes and just steep in it. 

Now if they beat Penn St? Then all of a sudden a lot of the doubt goes away. Thats a big if though. They get The Badgers at home too. 

Signed,
Just enjoying the ride
I am hoping that they can keep the momentum going,  the program deserves a nice year once in a while... and keep that fuggin axe!   Those are my favorite games to watch,  when the schools have a long and storied rivalry with a traveling trophy to play for.   How long has it been since Minny had both the jug and the axe in the trophy case at the same time? - 1986... keep the axe this year and get that jug back next year.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
Fire up!

https://twitter.com/GopherFootball/statu...73824?s=19
I see Corona beer commercials in his future. :p    he reminds me a lot of that old jets HC or of Gruden.

its good for a change of pace,   but that kind of intensity is impossible to maintain or from a players standpoint to take seriously all the time.  it will likely become a joke to the players and will lead to him losing credibility with his team when things arent rolling along as well as they are now.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
https://twitter.com/JessRMyers/status/11...42688?s=19
hes in for an experience... i hope those kids take it easy on him or he may never be the same.  even with all that gear you still dont want to just be peppered.