• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: College entrance cheating scandal
Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@StickyBun said:
@suncoastvike said:
@StickyBun said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Shouldn't the  bigger concern be over "student athletes" getting relaxed admission standards?

Honestly the fact that these schools are propped up with tax dollars and the costs are still sky rocketing it really pisses me off that some Jack wagon that likely cheats and gets slid through the public school system "because the team needs him active" gets a better chance to get into a college that they will never graduate from than a kid who busted his ass academically, but can't hit a 15' J.

Maybe it's time to level the playing field and make all kids earn their way I to college through their academics and really put the student back into student athlete?

Also put in financial penalties for kids who take scholarships and then try and leave early for  the pros. If they are that good they will make great money...make them pay back that scholarship with significant interest so that more kids in other areas can have the same opportunity to an affordable education.  What does a free ride for playing basketball for Duke really do for a kid when they are there at 2 years tops?
Like in China or Japan?  Your whole life is dependent on your entrance exams, unless your folks can afford to send you to another country.
In India, this bribery and fraud to get into colleges is well known and been going on forever. Bottom line: rich kids learn that the rules don't apply to them. Their parents lay down the golden path and they just have to move forward. They'll then use their connections to get them a great job once they graduate. No matter what, they'll be taken care of. 

I live in east Boca Raton, Florida, one of the richest enclaves of wealth in the country. The entitlement by the teenagers is mind blowing. Its an assault on my Midwest sensibilities. They spend money like they are wealthy adults without restriction (Daddy's credit cards). They get realistic fake I.D.s and drink unabashedly in expensive outdoor dining places at 16 years old. Drive Mercedes, Range Rovers and Maseratis. Eat sushi every day. Very expensive clothes and purses/jewelry. Vape marijuana in the open. 
Guess I picked the wrong coast...lol.
Over here my neighbors in the north county they are just as likely to smoke meth and drive camo 4wheeler's. 
Wealth doesn't always ensure success. It's definitely an advantage. Sooner or later someone has to pay them for that degree. Employer's want results not signatures on a paper.
That's where the rubber meets the road for most that cheat their way to a degree, have no coping skills and have been handed everything. But for the uber rich, they'll just keep finding different jobs for their kids to shift to.....that's if they have them work at all. They just want the prestige of a degree from Stanford from a parent's standpoint, to brag. Its called social capital in the wealthy set for kids: meaning I have a Master's degree from Stanford but I'm not using it for a career, but I COULD if I were so inclined (riiiight). Most of these ultra wealthy kids don't do shit after college. 
Wonder why 45 hid all his records, any guesses?
don't you mean 44?

When I heard about this my first thought was about my nephew. He lives in the Cinci area and wants to go to Harvard to become a surgeon. He’s 11 and just finishing 5th grade. In order to enter a school like Harvard you have to prepare young. He’s played sports, learned to play the violin, and worked his butt off already. He recently scored in the top 1% of an exam to get into a highly ranked private school that preps kids for ivy league entrance. He’s skipping to 8th grade this year so it isn’t going to be too long until he applies. 

I would think a spot would be highly likely based on his performance and strong work ethic but the thought of a dream being crushed after so much hard work and sacrifice is unthinkable. For everyone of these kids taking up a spot, some kid who’s worked his/her tail off is getting hosed. It’s truely disgusting and immoral. I’m happy to hear they caught these people and I hope they find more.

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
When I heard about this my first thought was about my nephew. He lives in the Cinci area and wants to go to Harvard to become a surgeon. He’s 11 and just finishing 5th grade. In order to enter a school like Harvard you have to prepare young. He’s played sports, learned to play the violin, and worked his butt off already. He recently scored in the top 1% of an exam to get into a highly ranked private school that preps kids for ivy league entrance. He’s skipping to 8th grade this year so it isn’t going to be too long until he applies. 

I would think a spot would be highly likely based on his performance and strong work ethic but the thought of a dream being crushed after so much hard work and sacrifice is unthinkable. For everyone of these kids taking up a spot, some kid who’s worked his/her tail off is getting hosed. It’s truely disgusting and immoral. I’m happy to hear they caught these people and I hope they find more.
Record-Low 4.59 Percent of Applicants Accepted to Harvard Class of 2022: The Harvard CrimsonHe'll have his work cut out for him, best of luck. 

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/...ions-2022/

@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Shouldn't the  bigger concern be over "student athletes" getting relaxed admission standards?

Honestly the fact that these schools are propped up with tax dollars and the costs are still sky rocketing it really pisses me off that some Jack wagon that likely cheats and gets slid through the public school system "because the team needs him active" gets a better chance to get into a college that they will never graduate from than a kid who busted his ass academically, but can't hit a 15' J.

Maybe it's time to level the playing field and make all kids earn their way I to college through their academics and really put the student back into student athlete?

Also put in financial penalties for kids who take scholarships and then try and leave early for  the pros. If they are that good they will make great money...make them pay back that scholarship with significant interest so that more kids in other areas can have the same opportunity to an affordable education.  What does a free ride for playing basketball for Duke really do for a kid when they are there at 2 years tops?
Like in China or Japan?  Your whole life is dependent on your entrance exams, unless your folks can afford to send you to another country.
what does china and japan have to do with our fucked up college educational  system?  unless theirs is better I dont see the relavancy?
In my wife's dept. She has fewer in state grad students than foreign.  This has been a gradual change since the regents have been de-funding the universities and making it more dependent on out state tuition.  There is no reason to bring in an in state student for 20k per year when you can have an out stater at 40K  or a foreign student at 80k or the child of some one that can make donation, perhaps.   
SDSU kids have been  complaining for decades about all the foreign students that are getting accepted.  IMO at state run (and funded universities) foreign students should only be accepted once all qualifiying in state applicants have been accepted, (including out of state kids from states with reciprocity agreements)  Maybe instead of jacking tuition or relying of foreign students the board of regents and university professors should look at trimming costs.   To many people on pay roll that have no part in educating our kids these days.  I am sure this is an issue at all public colleges,  but I know I hear plenty of alums talk about professors they had 30 years ago that are still on payroll but cant be attached to any actual classes.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:

what does china and japan have to do with our fucked up college educational  system?  unless theirs is better I dont see the relavancy?
In my wife's dept. She has fewer in state grad students than foreign.  This has been a gradual change since the regents have been de-funding the universities and making it more dependent on out state tuition.  There is no reason to bring in an in state student for 20k per year when you can have an out stater at 40K  or a foreign student at 80k or the child of some one that can make donation, perhaps.   
SDSU kids have been  complaining for decades about all the foreign students that are getting accepted.  IMO at state run (and funded universities) foreign students should only be accepted once all qualifiying in state applicants have been accepted, (including out of state kids from states with reciprocity agreements)  Maybe instead of jacking tuition or relying of foreign students the board of regents and university professors should look at trimming costs.   To many people on pay roll that have no part in educating our kids these days.  I am sure this is an issue at all public colleges,  but I know I hear plenty of alums talk about professors they had 30 years ago that are still on payroll but cant be attached to any actual classes.
The costs have been cut, that ship has sailed.  In the 90"s my wife gave 19% of any grants or funding she was awarded for research, to the university.  With other 81% she was able to hire students and fund technology for her lab.  She now has to provide > 60% to the University and has to use self funded students, or ones, that pay to work in the lab (foreign).  She also purchases chairs and other lab equipment that was once part of the infrastructure.  She also has to contract out for maintenance and repair, since all those positions have been eliminated.  You now have fewer faculty and more associate "lecturer's", TA and grad students teaching, because the PI's that advance the knowledge and discovery are stuck doing the things they use to delegate. 

@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The costs have been cut, that ship has sailed.  In the 90"s my wife gave 19% of any grants or funding she was awarded for research, to the university.  With other 81% she was able to hire students and fund technology for her lab.  She now has to provide > 60% to the University and has to use self funded students, or ones, that pay to work in the lab (foreign).  She also purchases chairs and other lab equipment that was once part of the infrastructure.  She also has to contract out for maintenance and repair, since all those positions have been eliminated.  You now have fewer faculty and more associate "lecturer's", TA and grad students teaching, because the PI's that advance the knowledge and discovery are stuck doing the things they use to delegate. 
so where is the money going?  cost to attend these schools is sky rocketing... there is all this "athletic money" coming into these universities which is apparently true since they are all building new athletic facilities.... where is the money if the costs are cut?  It certainly seems like there is something missing from this picture.

while I honestly think of Bush Sr doing this shit to get Gilligan into college. (it was the first wealthy person that came to mind honestly)  here is an interesting twist on this story.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/obama-fami...ns-scheme/

The part of the story that sickens me more than the payoffs, lies and bribes is the mention of the kids theropists.  If you are a multi millionare that has all the resources to give your kids everything in life and give them every opportunity to succedd in life and you child needs a freaking therapist then you are a piece of crap and have totally failed as a parent.  You have totally failed these kids.  They will go through the rest of their life not knowing how to blow their own nose. The funny thing is the hollywood dips*%ts like these people are the ones who take to the media and social media with their opinions that they feel we are supposed to accept because they are rich and famous therefore making them intelligent.   

Interesting story I just read about Jared Kushner, who got into Harvard with average grades, average SAT scores thanks to his parents $2.5 million donation.  And let's not forget Fred Trump's 7 figure donation to Penn to get Twitler into college. 

I'm only shocked it's taken this long to be exposed. 

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
Interesting story I just read about Jared Kushner, who got into Harvard with average grades, average SAT scores thanks to his parents $2.5 million donation.  And let's not forget Fred Trump's 7 figure donation to Penn to get Twitler into college. 

I'm only shocked it's taken this long to be exposed. 
Donations to get kids into colleges have been around since higher educations inception.  Doesnt even matter for private schools since there isn't public money involved.