Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh Hell Yeah
Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
also,  with teams putting dominant pass rushers on their left side these days,  I dont get the rush to kick ONeil to the O left side.  we have had plenty of issues protecting our QBs front sides over the last few years as well.  IMO leave him there for at least another year and let him continue to gain experience,  then work on kicking him to the left side once the interior is fixed (hopefully this year)
Like last year with Remmers as an option to move inside, I think the Vikings are setting up contingencies based on whom they're able to get in free agency and the draft. For example, say they're able to land Rodger Saffold. In my opinion that means Reiff stays on the left and O'Neill stays on the right. Say the best player in the draft is Andre Dillard, a left tackle only. That likely means Reiff probably moves to left guard. Jawaan Taylor? He plays on the right, O'Neill moves to the left and Reiff inside. 

For the record, I'd prefer O'Neill stay on the right as well. But you never know who's going to accept the money you'e offering in free agency and, in the draft, what position the best player available plays. Vikings have to acquire as many good players as possible, regardless of their position.  
like I said though... fix the interior this year and then look to move ONeil to the left side in a year if necessary or warranted by Reiffs contract situation.  I just think that we need to let players get experience at 1 spot before asking them to move and learn new spots.  position flexibility is nice, but when it comes to my starting 5 I am less concerned about how they play other positions and more focused on the 1 that I want them to play all the time.  aside from Berger playing RG (average or so) and his ability to jump inside to center and do an OK job,  what other position jumps have been made across the front 5 that have worked out for the team?   

Remmer from RT to RG... enough said on this one
Hill from LT to RT... didnt pan out
Fusco from RG to LG.... fail
Sirles from OT to OG and back and forth and back and forth... solid prospect that was allowed to walk because he never got comfortable at one spot

I am sure there are more,  but our recent track record and associated failures suggest to me that its best to just focus on the OG spots this year and then look to improve the rest.  maybe it works out, but I am sure you of all understand my concerns with the Vikings OL.
So what if the highest rated player on their Board in the 1st was a pure Tackler like Taylor or Dillard?

Since neither one profiles to kick inside, and you constantly state you aren't comfortable counting on a college player switching spots in the Pros, what do you do?

Do you reach for a lower rated pure Guard? Take BPA at DT or LB? Try to trade down?

I've said it before but it bears repeating: you can't box yourself into one approach to fixing a Line with so many holes.

There's a lot of talk about FA but the only name consistently mentioned is Saffold. What if he doesn't want to trade LA weather for Minnesota weather? What if his asking price is too big considering his age?

And who else exactly is out there at Guard in FA?

Meanwhile, there are not one but 2 good to really Centers in FA. Grabbing one and kicking Elf to OG, where by most accounts he was better in college, is an approach that your rigid stance doesn't seem to allow for.

Same for passing on Dillard or Taylor in the 1st if Jonah Williams and Cody Ford are off the Board which is entirely possible as I personally have both rated higher than Ragnow and Price.

Fixing the Line requires the FO to keep all options on the table, not narrowing them down as you would seemingly have them do.
I agree that one of the biggest advantages have is that they aren't really boxed in with their current lineman. They conceivably get out of any deal and have multiple players who can fill numerous positions.

The question that bears answering is how confident the coaching staff and front office is that they'll draft a day one or multiple day one starters. It's tough to answer since you don't know whats going to be on the board when you pick. 

As of today the Vikings starting 5 is probably some combination of Reiff - Collins - Elflein - Remmers - O'Neill. You probably get Rashod Hill back as an RFA but you still are left needing to fill some major holes before you get to the draft. Although I laid out the Remmers is likely not part of the solution, that doesn't mean they won't carry him into training camp (unless you they find an alternative worth his cap space). But with that said I doubt they are going to leave this thing into the hands of how the draft board falls considering that screwed them a year ago. 

My guess is that they tender Rashod Hill, resign Easton, and bring in two mid-level guys. Bill Turner would be a guy to watch due to numerous tea leaves, and the other could be more of a veteran retread such as Michael Person who they attempted to trade for last season. 

That gives you some combination of Reiff - Easton/Person - Elflein - Remmers/Turner - O'Neill going into the draft. Although not glamorous if all went wrong they have about 3 different combinations with that line that would have at least an outside shot of being average. But more likely you draft someone like Jonah Williams in the first and you're good. 

That leaves you a ton of guys with flexibility to find the best 5: 

Reiff (OT/OG), O'Neill (OT), Williams (OT/OG), Remmers (OT/OG), Elflein (C/OG), Easton (OG/C), Turner (OG/OT)

My point is that although the Vikings need to spend early draft picks on the line they need to have something they're somewhat comfortable with prior to late April.