Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DePhillipo Fired???
Quote: @dadevike said:
Seems like a panic move. The O line sucks but you can't fire the players so fire the coach that has to run plays behind that line.
Has this line been worse then last year's?  Its basically the same players?  Some how Keenum figured out how to throw behind a just as shitty line. 

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
plenty of blame all around.  This team would be totally different with a better OL--a guard or two and a LT.  Still, it was the right call. Flip was in over his head.  can Kevin Stefanski right the ship?  Praying.
I hear Mcfatty is available???  LOL  At least we get to figure out what Stefanski feels like before the season is over.  He should have gotten the job last year.  This move probably keeps him with us. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@dadevike said:
Seems like a panic move. The O line sucks but you can't fire the players so fire the coach that has to run plays behind that line.
Has this line been worse then last year's?  Its basically the same players?  Some how Keenum figured out how to throw behind a just as shitty line. 
Yes it's worse.  No it's not the same players.  Easton and Berger are gone.  Remmers is playing a completely different position.  Elflein was injured late and spent all offseason recovering and isn't the same.  Maybe Reiff is the same, but I've seen people argue that he's more injured this year.  Who knows of Reiff, but we've downgraded 3 of 5 positions for sure (and 4 of 5, before O'Neill was starting)

Did you guys see how many times our WRs ran overlapping routes or ended up stacked next to each other at the end of their route? I was starting to believe the WRs weren't hearing the playcall right in the huddle or that they weren't understanding the playcall...  Our route concepts had me scratching my head all game long.

The times when Cousins did have an NFL acceptable amount of time to throw his options were fuuuucked. stops, curls, drags... these routes over and over are a recipe for double clutching, hesitating and mistakes. That stuff has also become a reoccurring theme. Where did the offensive design that showed up for the first chunk of the season go? How does Theilen go from record setting to barely touching the ball? The answer is obvious when you watch our route concepts. You can see really fast that he's not even  running the same routes as early in the season - he's been cuffed to whatever the hell we've been trying to do lately. Perhaps Flip was intimidated by the lack of protection week to week but his adjustments game in and out have compounded the problem of low offensive output.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@dadevike said:
One thing Ill say about Keenum - he wasn't a statue behind the O-line - he kept a lot of plays alive with his feet and ability to maneuver out of a collapsing pocket and make a play or two.

Who can replace Pfieffer….lets hire Kris Klue

Quote: @medaille said:
@AGRforever said:
@dadevike said:
Yes it's worse.  No it's not the same players.  Easton and Berger are gone.  Remmers is playing a completely different position.  Elflein was injured late and spent all offseason recovering and isn't the same.  Maybe Reiff is the same, but I've seen people argue that he's more injured this year.  Who knows of Reiff, but we've downgraded 3 of 5 positions for sure (and 4 of 5, before O'Neill was starting)
It's not just the line. Yeah, our line is bad, but this goes far beyond that. There are ways you can lessen the impact of outmatched offensive linemen. There are linemen as bad, or worse, than ours starting on lines all over the NFL. As someone pointed out last night, the rookie we had on the practice squad is starting now in Arizona. A lineman we released earlier this year is starting for the Bears. Even more alarming, going into last night, our line was mostly healthy. There are 3rd string rookies starting for other NFL teams due to injuries. The difference is those teams seem to do a much better job of designing an offense that plays to its strengths and mitigates its weaknesses. 

It was clear to me last night that Flip had absolutely no clue how to do that, nor any idea what the hell he was doing. For the love of God, going into the game, no team in the NFL gave up more yards per carry than the Seahawks. Week before, Nick Freaking Mullins put up 400 yards passing against them. Week before that, McCaffrey put up 237 total yards and 2 TDs against them. 

It's as if Seattle knew exactly what we were going to do before we did it. Same with the Patriots. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if we found out that there wasn't something Flip was doing that was tipping them off. 

...and another thing....

I know I've been giving him a lot of shit lately, but one of the things that impressed me was how well Zimmer adjusted his defense to what Seattle was doing in the first half. 

Offenses usually make similar adjustments to how the defense is playing them. But last night...Nothing. Zero. I think that could be a big part of why Flip is no longer employed. 

Vikings promote QBs coach Stefanski to OC                   
[Image: 13081.jpg]
Vikings promoted QBs coach Kevin Stefanski to offensive coordinator.
Stefanski will replace John DeFilippo, who was fired on Tuesday. Giants coach Pat Shurmur tried to take Stefanski with him when he left last offseason, but the Vikings blocked the interview request. There was some thought Minnesota should have just promoted Stefanski after Shurmur left, and now he will get his shot. Considering coach Mike Zimmer's recent comments, Stefanski will likely lean on the running game a bit more than DeFilippo did this season.

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
Did you guys see how many times our WRs ran overlapping routes or ended up stacked next to each other at the end of their route? I was starting to believe the WRs weren't hearing the playcall right in the huddle or that they weren't understanding the playcall...  Our route concepts had me scratching my head all game long.

The times when Cousins did have an NFL acceptable amount of time to throw his options were fuuuucked. stops, curls, drags... these routes over and over are a recipe for double clutch, hesitating and mistakes. That stuff has also become a reoccurring theme. Where did the offensive design that showed up for the first chunk of the season go? It's not like our offensive line was great then either. We never built on or off of anything good we did; we've gone backwards around the offensive line all season.
I cannot dispute this but what plays will Stefanski call?  They more than likely will run the same offense.  Too late to install a new offense.
Hopefully there are some plays in that playbook that are bit more imaginative.
I think JDF honored what Zimmer wanted.  More runs.

So he just ran the most basic of plays and they got stuffed.
But he at least followed orders.