Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming to terms with Arena Ball
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Just reported: biggest MNF ratings in 4 years for this game. 

Shocked.  Shocked, I tells ya'!

If we want to duplicate last nights game, trade Waynes, Rhodes, Barr, Kendricks, Griffen, and Hunter and get as many draft picks as possible.  Let any defensive FA's walk and take the savings and put it all on OL free agents, WR and RB's and get all the young, raw athletes on D.
We'll give up 40 points per game average but, gee, won't it be exciting!
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12432516]
● SD GIF ● HD GIF ● MP4

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
First we got fake news.
Now, we've got fake football.
'Merica.
Fake, fantasy it's all the same. 
The NFL has so sold itself to fantasy they forgot the football. You know the one. Where trying to stop the team from scoring was half the game. Think it's less then a 1/4 now. 

This message was brought to you by Grumpy old men of America.
Isn't that the appropriate description of our current Head Coach? Last night's game had some amazing defensive performances and plays. Donald for the Rams and Chris Jones for the Chiefs were fantastic to watch. Defense is still relevant, but now the elite teams have High Powered Offenses that have become their identity. Unlike our Head Coach that wants a boring ball control run first offense, the Chiefs, Rams, Saints, etc. have explosive playmakers all over the field and want to score as many points as they can in the shortest amount of time possible. They have zero interest in keeping the score close and letting your defense win the game for you. It may be Video Game football to some, but that is where this seems to be trending and I don't see Zimmer figuring this out before it costs him his job. Our defense has kept us in games but you need to compliment that with a high powered pass first offense to have any shot at beating the best teams in the league. We need more than Thielen and Diggs. Flip and Cousins have forgotten our Tight End, they insist on forcing reps to Treadwell at the expense of Robinson and Bebe, and we need to get our Running Backs more involved in the passing game like the Rams, Saints, and Chiefs do. Cook in space is dangerous but we rarely use him that way. Zimmer seems happy with the offense scoring 24 points per game. Unfortunately, our ramaining games with the Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, and Bears are all against teams that average more points per game than we do. If we continue to turn the ball over at the alarming rate we have been, there is no way to overcome those mistakes and think you will outscore those teams. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
First we got fake news.
'Merica.
The NFL has so sold itself to fantasy they forgot the football. You know the one. Where trying to stop the team from scoring was half the game. Think it's less then a 1/4 now. 

Isn't that the appropriate description of our current Head Coach? Last night's game had some amazing defensive performances and plays. Donald for the Rams and Chris Jones for the Chiefs were fantastic to watch. Defense is still relevant, but now the elite teams have High Powered Offenses that have become their identity. Unlike our Head Coach that wants a boring ball control run first offense, the Chiefs, Rams, Saints, etc. have explosive playmakers all over the field and want to score as many points as they can in the shortest amount of time possible. They have zero interest in keeping the score close and letting your defense win the game for you. It may be Video Game football to some, but that is where this seems to be trending and I don't see Zimmer figuring this out before it costs him his job. Our defense has kept us in games but you need to compliment that with a high powered pass first offense to have any shot at beating the best teams in the league. We need more than Thielen and Diggs. Flip and Cousins have forgotten our Tight End, they insist on forcing reps to Treadwell at the expense of Robinson and Bebe, and we need to get our Running Backs more involved in the passing game like the Rams, Saints, and Chiefs do. Cook in space is dangerous but we rarely use him that way. Zimmer seems happy with the offense scoring 24 points per game. Unfortunately, our ramaining games with the Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, and Bears are all against teams that average more points per game than we do. If we continue to turn the ball over at the alarming rate we have been, there is no way to overcome those mistakes and think you will outscore those teams. 
Great points. Zimmer is the head coach the team reflects his personality. When we had Norv he reflected that personality as well. We had a stud RB they counted on to make it work. Then we didn't. Then Norv walked off the job. Enter Pat. A man like Norv who had some pedigree as a OC and former HC. I think he didn't reflect that personality as closely. He had another idea and enough respect to be given liberty to expand. I don't know yet if Flip has that kind of pull. I don't think simplifying this anymore will be the answer.
I have no trouble with Zimmer's defense. If he allows enough assets to be distributed to both sides equally. Then allow the offense to attack like a modern offense.  We would be better. Of course only my opinion.

Beebe and Treadwell got the same amount of snaps,  Beebe got to run more routes and they both had 1 catch,  although Treadwell got a PI called as well.

Hey...We love us some offense here in Minny...Didnt we all enjoy 98 before that last, fateful game???

I love me some good defense too, hell I was reared on PPE's. I think we have the horses on offense to do the Big O thing this NFL dictates. Except for the OL. 

They're going to have to let some D assets go and focus on drafting better OL. Easier typed than done. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Hey...We love us some offense here in Minny...Didnt we all enjoy 98 before that last, fateful game???

I love me some good defense too, hell I was reared on PPE's. I think we have the horses on offense to do the Big O thing this NFL dictates. Except for the OL. 

They're going to have to let some D assets go and focus on drafting better OL. Easier typed than done. 
I think maybe Barr and Richardson will be the only losses on D,  I would still try and keep Waynes since we really dont know how Hughes will recover and Hill is a major ?,  losing Barr will be felt, but his absence this year will make it easier to move on as even when he was in,  his coverage skills were exposed a bit against the new generation of RBs and the way offenses are using those guys.  Richardson hasnt been the disrupter that I had envisioned,  maybe its him,  maybe LJ isnt doing what he has done,  i really havent been watching the DL as much this year.

Quote: @"TBro" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
First we got fake news.
'Merica.

A big issue IMO is that Zimmer's defense is not especially good at causing turnovers.
2018: 10th INTs, 13th in Forced Fumbles
2017: 13th  INTs,  25th FFs
2016: 12th INTs, 21st FFs
2015: 17th INTs, 25th FFs
2014:  19th INTs, 29th FFs
It's a cautious approach on defense as well as offense. It may well be that we would be giving up more long passes if our DBs were gambling more, and coaching defenders to try to cause fumbles might mean they miss some tackles. But if you think of defensives units that have dominated, have carried their teams, and have SCARED opponents, they caused turnovers. The Vikings don't.
Zimmer isn't fearless on the defensive side of the ball, so why would anyone expect he is going to open it up on offense?

How simple is all this?  When an olineman hooks you with his arm in pass pro its not holding, but if you are covering a receiver its holding/ interference. 

How about a rule to “hold” olineman to the same standard as DB’s.  Effing Rodgers would have every throw called back 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

I am loving the balance of good defense and offense. I don't want our team to have a good defense and struggle on offense or vice versa.

Also in regard to Arena ball, the shoot outs are not my favorite when it comes at the expense of the defense. If the defense is scoring as well, it's more entertaining to me.