Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings centers Pat Elflein, Nick Easton asked to get up to speed
I'm also curious where TJ Clemmings has been lining up. Vikings were trying him at OG in OTAs; still there in TC? No doubt he increases his value if he can play both G and T. Clemmings has become a whipping boy and I hear little mention of him here, but he still probably has the most physical potential of any OL on the team.

If TJ Clemmings makes this roster, I'm going to lose my shit. Seriously. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"twgerber" said:
And I think Easton can play guard just like Elflein.
Maybe so. But that's probably more of a stretch than Elflein, who, by all acounts, actually played better at guard than center. Personally, I think if Easton wins, Elflein competes with Berger at right guard. If Elflein wins, Easton's on the bubble. 
Doubt he is on the bubble.  If he loses, he is a Berger type of backup.  Smart enough to play any spot on the interior.  And a solid backup at center.
How many Berger types do we need and why is he a solid backup?

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"twgerber" said:
Maybe so. But that's probably more of a stretch than Elflein, who, by all acounts, actually played better at guard than center. Personally, I think if Easton wins, Elflein competes with Berger at right guard. If Elflein wins, Easton's on the bubble. 
Doubt he is on the bubble.  If he loses, he is a Berger type of backup.  Smart enough to play any spot on the interior.  And a solid backup at center.

In addition to your starting 5,  I think you need at least one guy that can play both G and C,  and one guy that would be a swing T and be able to take snaps at either spot.  After that grab the next 2-3 guys you dont want to exposed to the waiver wire and hope for the best.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Uh, why?  If he were to get coached up and get it?  At this point, I don't know if he can make it mentally, but he has the physical talents.  Young guy, I am pulling for him.  Not to hopeful anymore, but would love to see him work out.

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"twgerber" said:

Easton?  Well, he filled in last year and performed well enough in his first experience.  How many do we need?  One at least.  And Berger isn't really that anymore.

@"StickyBun" said:
Uh, why?  If he were to get coached up and get it?  At this point, I don't know if he can make it mentally, but he has the physical talents.  Young guy, I am pulling for him.  Not to hopeful anymore, but would love to see him work out.
Why, you ask? Because he's a liability and has shown NOTHING thus far. You seem to like guys like Clemmings and Kalil, who don't perform. But bag on guys like Berger, who do perform. Makes zero sense. You have to move on and they've given Clemmings plenty of opportunities. Who cares about physical talent if it never manifests? 

Why, you ask? Because he's a liability and has shown NOTHING thus far. You seem to like guys like Clemmings and Kalil, who don't perform. But bag on guys like Berger, who do perform. Makes zero sense. You have to move on and they've given Clemmings plenty of opportunities. Who cares about physical talent if it never manifests? 
I seem to like Vikings and hope they turn out.  Sometimes they don't.  And that sucks for Viking fans.  So as long as he is a Viking, I don't have to move on, and it seems odd that you think that you feel right to tell me I should.

As far as Berger, I was always glad he was a Viking.  A good guy to have as he can man multiple spots.  But he was barely adequate as a starter.  Despite PFF having him rated high in the run game (and some translating that to he was a top center in the NFL), he has struggled in pass protection.  Which seemed to be our downfall the last couple of years relying on Berger as the man calling the protections.

So thanks for your concern, but I will continue supporting Vikings until, like Kalil, they aren't.  At which point I will say, good riddance.

@"StickyBun" said:
I seem to like Vikings and hope they turn out.  Sometimes they don't.  And that sucks for Viking fans.  So as long as he is a Viking, I don't have to move on, and it seems odd that you think that you feel right to tell me I should.

As far as Berger, I was always glad he was a Viking.  A good guy to have as he can man multiple spots.  But he was barely adequate as a starter.  Despite PFF having him rated high in the run game (and some translating that to he was a top center in the NFL), he has struggled in pass protection.  Which seemed to be our downfall the last couple of years relying on Berger as the man calling the protections.

So thanks for your concern, but I will continue supporting Vikings until, like Kalil, they aren't.  At which point I will say, good riddance.
Blind support is one thing, thoughtful perspective on players that aren't performing is another. I want performance, and if they aren't, then I'd prefer they become ex-Vikings and put a guy in that does the job. Kalil had plenty of opportunity and so did Clemmings, quite honestly. I don't judge quickly, but if it walks like a talk and quacks like a duck, its a damn duck.

They're all Vikings right now anyway, right? I mean, lol....if Clemmings gets cut and Kerin stays its all good then. So I don't follow your 'supporting Vikings' thing. The roster has to be cut down at some point and some will make it and others won't.

Blind support is one thing, thoughtful perspective on players that aren't performing is another. I want performance, and if they aren't, then I'd prefer they become ex-Vikings and put a guy in that does the job. Kalil had plenty of opportunity and so did Clemmings, quite honestly. I don't judge quickly, but if it walks like a talk and quacks like a duck, its a damn duck.

They're all Vikings right now anyway, right? I mean, lol....if Clemmings gets cut and Kerin stays its all good then. So I don't follow your 'supporting Vikings' thing. The roster has to be cut down at some point and some will make it and others won't.
"If TJ Clemmings makes this roster, I'm going to lose my shit. Seriously. "

If TJ makes the roster, good for him and I will support him. If you blindly won't, that is fine. Just thought it a bit overly dramatic.