Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Think We Have A RT
Quote: @pumpf said:
@Caactorvike said:
Does anyone have an answer as to why so many batted balls today?  i remember at least six. I know its happened before but not to the extent it did today.  Is this on cousins or the OL?
Good question.  I think it is a combination of things.  First of all, the pocket that the OL created was smaller than most QBs would prefer.  That means that the DL was closer to him and- therefore- in a better position to block balls.  Second of all, there are times when Cousins makes his mind up early and fires the ball after a 1 step drop.  Arizona looked to be prepared for that and- rather than trying to rush him- they prepared to jump up into the passing lane (Cousins likes those quick slants).  Or it could just be that it's all a coincidence and the Cardinals got lucky...?
IMO they had that as part of the game plan.  We tend to run lots of short quick passes and it makes sense to try and bat those down as the pass rush won't get home on quick passes and the short ones are easier to bat down.

As to O'Neill, he has surprised me, playing so well early one.  It is a good sign.  I figured he would get exposed if he started, but held up well.  And we must remember what Hill is, he came to us as a UDFA stolen off a practice squad.  A UDFA that is good enough to start at either tackle spot.  Yes he struggled against Jones, but many NFL starters do.  He isn't a top 10 pick and has flaws, but all in all, a pretty damn solid find. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@Caactorvike said:
Does anyone have an answer as to why so many batted balls today?  i remember at least six. I know its happened before but not to the extent it did today.  Is this on cousins or the OL?
Good question.  I think it is a combination of things.  First of all, the pocket that the OL created was smaller than most QBs would prefer.  That means that the DL was closer to him and- therefore- in a better position to block balls.  Second of all, there are times when Cousins makes his mind up early and fires the ball after a 1 step drop.  Arizona looked to be prepared for that and- rather than trying to rush him- they prepared to jump up into the passing lane (Cousins likes those quick slants).  Or it could just be that it's all a coincidence and the Cardinals got lucky...?
IMO they had that as part of the game plan.  We tend to run lots of short quick passes and it makes sense to try and bat those down as the pass rush won't get home on quick passes and the short ones are easier to bat down.

As to O'Neill, he has surprised me, playing so well early one.  It is a good sign.  I figured he would get exposed if he started, but held up well.  And we must remember what Hill is, he came to us as a UDFA stolen off a practice squad.  A UDFA that is good enough to start at either tackle spot.  Yes he struggled against Jones, but many NFL starters do.  He isn't a top 10 pick and has flaws, but all in all, a pretty damn solid find. 
Agree. Before we criticize Hill too much, let's not forget that Chandler Jones made 6X Pro Bowler Joe Staley look silly last week. It was that performance, 6 tackles, 2 TFLs, a strip sack, fumble and fumble recovery, that made him player of the week last week. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@Caactorvike said:

Agree. Before we criticize Hill too much, let's not forget that Chandler Jones made 6X Pro Bowler Joe Staley look silly last week. It was that performance, 6 tackles, 2 TFLs, a strip sack, fumble and fumble recovery, that made him player of the week last week. 
fans always tend to forget that the others teams have studs as well out there trying to win the game.

Quote: @greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@Caactorvike said:

I disagree that Hill is "good enough" to start. He is not a starting caliber lineman in this league and I think most people on this board would agree. 

So.......how can you get the ball out "quickly" and stare down receivers?  I didn't have a stop watch on him but It seemed most passes were way lower then 3 seconds as it has been pretty much this entire season?  I guess I saw a couple times for sure where he was progressing off his first and second reads and still getting the ball out crazy fast so to me it seemed more like inside pressure against our terrible guards which then were close enough to Kirk that it was easily blocked. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@Caactorvike said:

I disagree that Hill is "good enough" to start. He is not a starting caliber lineman in this league and I think most people on this board would agree. 
I know you do.  But the fact that he is starting in the NFL sez something.  And sorry, but we on this board don't mean too much when it comes to rating players. We all have opinions and love to talk about it.  But that is about the end of it.

@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@Caactorvike said:

There's no way you have the RedZone channel and still make that statement.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@TBro said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@Caactorvike said:

So you are essentially saying that Hill doesn't suck as bad as the other team's suckiest lineman? 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@TBro said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@Caactorvike said:

This is true. Its easy for fans to have a narrow perspective and be way too close to the forest for their favorite teams. OT play around the league is B-A-D. The level of athletes in the NFL at DE is off the charts strong today. Pass rusher is one of the hardest things to find and cultivate and its got high value for teams. Its why the Raiders trading Khalil Mack is historically stupid and an epic f#$% up. Its changed the whole energy on the Bears and have made them a NFC contender. One trade. 

So Spielman took a swing at a high upside athletic guy like Brian O'Neill. Comes from a solid program. He looked shaky early in OTAs back in May, seemed to be a real raw project. Now he's like a different player and his learning curve is so much smaller than originally thought. He gets better every game. Still has things to get better at for sure. But he looks like a guy that is going to be starting sooner rather than later. 

@FSUVike said:
@TBro said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
@Caactorvike said:

So you are essentially saying that Hill doesn't suck as bad as the other team's suckiest lineman? 
or as bad as a lot of other teams starting tackles.  its a tough position to fill league wide.