Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Planning a Florida vacation
Thanks FLVike and TW. I think St. Augustine and Pensacola are the 2 most likely places for us to visit based upon what I'm hearing, but I would love to visit the entire state to be honest. I've never even been to the ocean so this one is a huge bucket list trip for me! (I know, pretty pitiful!) To be technically correct, my mother tells me that she and I went with family to California when I was 1 and there was a trip down to the beach. I'm a little foggy on that memory....
TW you mention the underwater observatory and the dolphin tour. Both of those sound amazing. How far is Dunedin from St. Petersburg? I think the more I'm hearing from guys like you and Barr, the St. Pete area would be an amazing place to visit as well.

St Pete does have lots of art and some good museums. Dunedin is in the same county so close. Dunedin has an historic district which is like a quaint town that got sucked up by a big county. Not a whole lot to do there but it is nice. They run events there all the time. Well run little town. The St Pete/Clearwater area has got a number of these quaint little sucked up towns. For lack of a better term. Dunedin; Safty Harbor, and Tarpon Spring all do events at different times. All pretty close. If any are having events going on while your there it makes it better. 
PS Dunedin throws the best St Patrick's day bash. Music, food all day and night. It's both family friendly or hang out and party later. 

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
St Pete does have lots of art and some good museums. Dunedin is in the same county so close. Dunedin has an historic district which is like a quaint town that got sucked up by a big county. Not a whole lot to do there but it is nice. They run events there all the time. Well run little town. The St Pete/Clearwater area has got a number of these quaint little sucked up towns. For lack of a better term. Dunedin; Safty Harbor, and Tarpon Spring all do events at different times. All pretty close. If any are having events going on while your there it makes it better. 
PS Dunedin throws the best St Patrick's day bash. Music, food all day and night. It's both family friendly or hang out and party later. 

The thing about the Dunedin area that interested me quite a bit was Honeymoon Island and Caladesi Island State Parks. The St. Patrick's Day celebration sounds like a lot of fun! I'm not sure exactly when we're going on this trip but it could be in March or April of next spring. I think we may seriously need to consider the Tampa/St. Petersburg area now that I've gotten more info. I really appreciate everyone responding in this thread!

I live in Jacksonville and St Augustine is nice.  Ponte Vedra is great as well.  I'd suggest Amelia Island one of our favorite spots, very relaxed area.  St Augustine is very historic (first city in the US) and you still have the beach but not a great one.  Amelia island has a great beach, lots of preserve areas and some historic stuff as well.  I've only been in Jacksonville for about 4 months but the city has surprised me and the family really likes it here. 

Thank you for the suggestions, Amazon! I did a quick Google for Amelia Island and it looks like there are some awesome beaches there. I’m not a golfer but the shrimp festival they have there in May caught my eye

Crescent Beach south of St Augustine is very nice.

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

The thing about the Dunedin area that interested me quite a bit was Honeymoon Island and Caladesi Island State Parks. The St. Patrick's Day celebration sounds like a lot of fun! I'm not sure exactly when we're going on this trip but it could be in March or April of next spring. I think we may seriously need to consider the Tampa/St. Petersburg area now that I've gotten more info. I really appreciate everyone responding in this thread!
I have annual pass to Honeymoon Island.  It's amazing.  Note that it's a "natural" beach in that they do NOT groom/rake the sand like they do at Clearwater.  

Also there is a ferry to Caladesi and that island is AMAZING.  

Get out there early if you want to find the best shells.

Quote: @"twgerber" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

I have annual pass to Honeymoon Island.  It's amazing.  Note that it's a "natural" beach in that they do NOT groom/rake the sand like they do at Clearwater.  

This is the kind of stuff I would love to do when we are there....explore beaches, get lots of pictures of the island, spend a lot of time outdoors just enjoying the sun. Thank you for sharing this, TW! I am going to do some more research on these 2 islands this weekend. Man I am getting excited for this trip!

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
@"twgerber" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

This is the kind of stuff I would love to do when we are there....explore beaches, get lots of pictures of the island, spend a lot of time outdoors just enjoying the sun. Thank you for sharing this, TW! I am going to do some more research on these 2 islands this weekend. Man I am getting excited for this trip!
You'll have a great time almost anywhere in Florida! Have fun!

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
@"twgerber" said:
@"prairieghost" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

You'll have a great time almost anywhere in Florida! Have fun!

Thank you, Sticky!Big Grin