Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings trade for OL help
Quote: @"Poiple" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Its irritating to see the Vikings in this situation. As feared, the offensive line is going to be a weakness. I'll save any real vitriol until after the 49ers game, but its a worrisome predicament. 
sounding kind of negative their Sticky.  might want to watch that.
lol.  Smile

Pat Shurmur is a good dude and obviously holds the Viking's org. in high esteem:

“No, I think the trade was good for both (Minnesota and us). We got a pick in return for Brett Jones. He’s one of my favorite guys and he’s going to a really good place. With their situation in the offensive line, he’s going to have a chance to compete to maybe be their starter. I’m pretty familiar with their situation and he’s going to a very good place, so I’m happy for him because he’s a real likable guy. He works hard, he’s tough, and I feel like if he can’t be here – I tell the players all the time, we want you all to be here; if you can’t be here, we want you to be somewhere good, and that’s a good place.”  - Pat Shurmur

Money undoubtedly played a factor in the decision. The Giants free up $2.9 million in cap space by trading Jones, according to Over the Cap. They had just $1.48 million in cap space prior to the move.
Jones may prove to be a steal of a trade for Minnesota, especially with starting center Pat Elflein still recovering from two offseason surgeries.
The decision to trade Jones is definitely a head scratcher for Giants fans, especially if they only receive a seventh-round draft pick in return.

now if we couldmfind 3 or 4 just like him we could be ready for the season.  Unbelievable the way the OL guys have been falling the last few years.

p.s. I think I like Jones starting at guard more than I do Compton when Elflein returns. Might be a nice chess move for the season when its all said and done. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Pat Shurmur is a good dude and obviously holds the Viking's org. in high esteem:

“No, I think the trade was good for both (Minnesota and us). We got a pick in return for Brett Jones. He’s one of my favorite guys and he’s going to a really good place. With their situation in the offensive line, he’s going to have a chance to compete to maybe be their starter. I’m pretty familiar with their situation and he’s going to a very good place, so I’m happy for him because he’s a real likable guy. He works hard, he’s tough, and I feel like if he can’t be here – I tell the players all the time, we want you all to be here; if you can’t be here, we want you to be somewhere good, and that’s a good place.”  - Pat Shurmur

Money undoubtedly played a factor in the decision. The Giants free up $2.9 million in cap space by trading Jones, according to Over the Cap. They had just $1.48 million in cap space prior to the move.
Jones may prove to be a steal of a trade for Minnesota, especially with starting center Pat Elflein still recovering from two offseason surgeries.
The decision to trade Jones is definitely a head scratcher for Giants fans, especially if they only receive a seventh-round draft pick in return.
He does hold it in good esteem, as he should. I like the trade, something had to be done...

Vikings acquire C Brett Jones for 2019 pick

[Image: 10356.jpg]
Vikings acquired C Brett Jones from the Giants in exchange for a 2019 pick.
Minnesota has dealt with several injuries in the trenches during camp. Trading for Jones at least ensures an experienced body at center if starter Pat Elflein (ankle, shoulder) isn't available in Week 1. Jones also brings a utility factor to the Vikings as he's started 12 games at center and two at left guard in his career. Jon Halapio was entrenched as the Giants' starting center since OTAs and had outperformed Jones in camp every step of the way. Jon Greco will now takeover as the Halapio's backup for New York.                    
Source: Art Stapleton on Twitter
Aug 26 - 4:32 PM

Jones is 6'2" and 312 lbs.  Built for a guard.  Low center of gravity and can get low on his blocking.  Looks like a fighter in a pile-up.

Quote: @"suncoastvike" said:
It seems like an insurance move. 7th rounder isn't over paying for depth. Steep salary for depth might be. I hope this ain't another season of desperation moves like 2016 when we hired guys off the street mid season only to have them get injured. Good thing is they got 2 weeks to get him ready and he should at least be in football shape by not beings on the sofa for a year.
I don't think adding Jones is anything like signing Jake Long in the midst of 2016. Long was old, physically broken, and had not been on a roster. I expect Jones to start at Center as soon as he is up to speed on the playbook. As others have said, when Elflein is back one of those 2 could be at LG. Not sure Edison has a spot on the roster once Elflein is back.

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
It seems like an insurance move. 7th rounder isn't over paying for depth. Steep salary for depth might be. I hope this ain't another season of desperation moves like 2016 when we hired guys off the street mid season only to have them get injured. Good thing is they got 2 weeks to get him ready and he should at least be in football shape by not beings on the sofa for a year.
I don't think adding Jones is anything like signing Jake Long in the midst of 2016. Long was old, physically broken, and had not been on a roster. I expect Jones to start at Center as soon as he is up to speed on the playbook. As others have said, when Elflein is back one of those 2 could be at LG. Not sure Edison has a spot on the roster once Elflein is back.
I don't either. I just said I hope this season doesn't become like that. I don't believe it will. Long was desperation move because of bad planning and timing on our part. This really is more proactive. Just my usual nervous reaction to what's been going on lately. Forgive me that.

maybe i am jaded,  maybe the giants did us a solid,  (although I am not sure why after we blocked them from Stefanski)  but I am not convinced Jones is a player ready to start for the Vikes.  I understand the Giants needing cap relief,  but given the OL woes around the league,  how are we able to get a "starter" for only a 7th round draft pick?  seems to good to be true.