Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, we knew this was inevitable; Mankato feeling the pinch
Quote: @JoDakota said:
Only people who have a right to complain IMHO are the business owners and workers in Mankato. They knew this was coming eventually, the team gave plenty of notice. The vikings stepped up with a great new facility that can help lure FA's here. The team is Minneapolis based, why not have training camp Minneapolis based??? Plus the top notch training and medical facilities I assume the team has there?

Seems like a positive move for everyone. It moved it an hour farther from me, but I still see it as a positive move.
That's a retarded thing to say on a fan message board.  Fans opinions don't matter?

So your thoughts on anything to do with the team are all worthless unless they go along with management? 

I appreciate what the Wilfs have done for the team on the field,  but the moves off the field have done relatively nothing positive for me as a fan.  The new stadium is nice,  but spendy as hell and honestly I would rather have the pre game festivities as part of my game day exerience than a flashy stadium,  for me once inside, the game is the attraction,   not the venue.  

The cowturds jumped around with their camps countless times...it's called MARKETING"! Geez Mankato had a fucking 45 year run...I think the turds held TC in Austin for 7 years and have been at at least 10 different locales. Stretching from Oregon to Wisconsin to San Antone to Cali and even Michigan. They've been in Cali for the last 8 years...again they are getting a new generation of fans. Those in Mank. will just have to move on and except teams are in it for the $. We'll see if it's good for the players as well as the teams fans...hopefully it is. BTW how the fuck do you think Dallas became Americas team? They are followed by more fans then any other team and are the 2nd highest valued TEAM IN THE WORLD! I also have nearly no real like or dislike of them. They haven't contended since the Vikings basically gave them the biggest bounty of draft picks and thus 3 SB wins in 4 years.

I was thinking that Mankato should do some sort of "fantasy camp" kinda thingy. Offer fans the opportunity to "live" what their former heroes lived through. I knew a guy that did the Yankees experience, for an obscene amount of money, but he met and hung out with Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford, Joe Pepitone, Bucky Dent, etc. Said it was the best extravagant expense he ever shelled out. 

Offer up an old school Vikings training camp experience for maybe $2500 for a few days and cycle through 8 or 10 different groups. Sleeping in the dorms, eating in the cafeterias, going through drills, scrimmaging, film study, etc. Mankato State could partner up with local businesses....I'm sure participants would be bringing some family along for a few days and they would in turn need hotel accomadations and also need to eat.

They could bring in some B and C lister Vikings ( just spit-balling, but guys like Hovan, Chris Walsh, Moe Williams, etc) and offer some sort of coaching internship to former NFL and College players who are interested in pursuing a coaching career. And, of course, Mankato State players and coaches, too. 

As a matter of fact, this could be a league-wide initiative. I'm sure most teams have ties with former training camp sites and the NFL could use this as a vehicle for grooming coaches, refs, training professionals, nutrition experts, sports medicine professionals, etc. Call it the NFL Training Camp Experience and market the hell out of it. There, I just created another multi-million dollar generating venue for Roger and his boys. You're Welcome, but I do want a % of the revenue!

LOL....I didn't say you can't have an opinion, I said I disagreed with your opinion. I said IMHO I believe.

Progress and change come all the time. Like it or not, this is a big money business, and in order to attract top free agents, having the new facility with top notch amenity's will sure help. From what I heard, the old facility at Eden Prairie were in tough shape.

Mankato had a nice long run. The new one is farther from me, but I still support it, because it is better for my TEAM. The TEAM is the most important thing, and getting a better chance at top notch FA's is what is est for all fans.

Sorry if my opinion offended. 

LOL....I didn't say you can't have an opinion, I said I disagreed with your opinion. I said IMHO I believe.

Progress and change come all the time. Like it or not, this is a big money business, and in order to attract top free agents, having the new facility with top notch amenity's will sure help. From what I heard, the old facility at Eden Prairie were in tough shape.

Mankato had a nice long run. The new one is farther from me, but I still support it, because it is better for my TEAM. The TEAM is the most important thing, and getting a better chance at top notch FA's is what is est for all fans.

Sorry if my opinion offended. 
Only people who have a right to complain IMHO are the business owners and workers in Mankato.

yeah,  so in your "honest opinion" fans dont have the right to disagree with ownership unless we are financially hardshipped... and you said this on a fan message board.  this would be a damn boring place if we all toed the line and sat around drinking purple kool aid.

of course its business, and of course change comes,  but do people have to like it?  its part of life,  we all have shit we dont appreciate,  we grumble about what we cant control,  and we fight for or against what we can.  I am getting steam rolled up here by excell energy and its bull shit machine,  some say its business, some say its progress,  I say its going to have a negative affect on my enjoyment of my life and property,  I dont have a financial loss (yet)  but do I still have the right to piss and moan about these fucking wind towers that will be constructed in my area?

as far as supporting the team,  are you going on record and saying that you are 100% always behind what the ownership thinks is best for the team?  I think the new facilities will certainly help with FA,  i dont think holding training camp there will really do much for drawing free agents.  Hell the wilfs are developers,  they could have build a hotel in kato to house the team in a more posh environment and still held camp there,  but that wouldnt have made them the recipients of all the coin.  now they will financially control almost every aspect of the fan experience at camp,  thats what this is about,  dollar bills,   not making the team better.

and your opinion doesnt offend me,  i just think its a bit off.

So we disagree. I said sorry if my opinion offended. I think the new facility is a big help in landing FA. We bring a FA in here that has lived in the south his whole life, we better have some facilities that make up for the weather they will have to live in. The new stadium is a draw to FA. So is the new headquarters. Why wouldn't the vikings use their own facilities? It only makes sense. They have great new practice facilities, top notch weight and training facilities and no moving all the equipment needed for training camp.

The only reason for leaving it there would be for nostalgic fans, which, here it is again, IMHO doesn't come close to in comparison for all the positives. I don't think it's even close. They gave plenty of notice this was going to happen. 

So we disagree. I said sorry if my opinion offended. I think the new facility is a big help in landing FA. We bring a FA in here that has lived in the south his whole life, we better have some facilities that make up for the weather they will have to live in. The new stadium is a draw to FA. So is the new headquarters. Why wouldn't the vikings use their own facilities? It only makes sense. They have great new practice facilities, top notch weight and training facilities and no moving all the equipment needed for training camp.

The only reason for leaving it there would be for nostalgic fans, which, here it is again, IMHO doesn't come close to in comparison for all the positives. I don't think it's even close. They gave plenty of notice this was going to happen. 
nobody said they were pulling the rug out,  its just a change that I dont think does anything for me as a fan as there are other teams that dont hold camp at their own facilities and they dont seem to have issues attracting FAs.  yes winter park was not working any more,  I have no issue with the new facility for their head quarters,  just dont think it does much for me as a fan and I question how much moving camp there actually does for attracting FAs.

If you were a free agent, would you rather have camp at a state of the art facility with modern amenity's or travel 65 miles to a college campus and live in a dorm for a couple weeks. I can see a potential FA would consider all possibilities.  It doesn't do anything for you as a fan......but the upside is mostly positives from the TEAMS perspective, and it probably opens camp up to a lot of Cities based fans that would not go to Mankato, which is another win for the TEAM.

I put TEAM above all else, and this new facility is a winner all around for the TEAM. It does stink for the local businesses in Mankato, but they have had ample time to prepare. I feel bad this positive change for the TEAM doesn't fit you personally, but TEAM FIRST is my motto. 

Here's another community upside to the new facility. The vikes are serving their community.....pretty cool.

EAGAN, Minn. — The Vikings new headquarters, Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center, is completing its first week of hosting Verizon Vikings Training Camp.
More football is on the way.
On Tuesday, the Vikings and Minnesota State High School League announced plans for TCO Stadium to host a total of five football games on three separate weekends in 2018.
The events will include a regular-season game on Sept. 28 between Farmington and Eagan (home team) and a regular-season game on Oct. 12 between Lakeville North and Prior Lake (home team). TCO Performance Center also will serve as an MSHSL Playoff host site for a total of three state quarterfinal games on Nov. 9 and 10.
The scheduling of the games fulfills a commitment to the community that was front-and-center during the design and construction of TCO Performance Center and TCO Stadium.
“The opportunity to share our new facility with the community and with the high school sports teams was always an emphasis of the design of TCO Performance Center from the beginning,” Minnesota Vikings Chief Operating Officer Kevin Warren said. “The chance to connect with fans, parents and players at the high school level is an important part of our ongoing youth football events, and we will proudly share our field with Minnesota high school teams.”
It also is another way to support high school football, which Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said is a “unifying and long-standing tradition across our country.”
“We are honored to host high school football games at our new TCO Performance Center facility.” Spielman said. “The lessons and values learned playing high school football extend well beyond the playing field. The game of football creates bonds and relationships that last a lifetime.”
Scheduled games
Friday, Sept. 28 – Farmington vs. Eagan (home) at 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 12 – Lakeville North vs. Prior Lake (home) at 7:30 p.m.
Friday-Saturday, Nov. 9-10 – MSHSL Quarterfinal Playoffs

If you were a free agent, would you rather have camp at a state of the art facility with modern amenity's or travel 65 miles to a college campus and live in a dorm for a couple weeks. I can see a potential FA would consider all possibilities.  It doesn't do anything for you as a fan......but the upside is mostly positives from the TEAMS perspective, and it probably opens camp up to a lot of Cities based fans that would not go to Mankato, which is another win for the TEAM.

I put TEAM above all else, and this new facility is a winner all around for the TEAM. It does stink for the local businesses in Mankato, but they have had ample time to prepare. I feel bad this positive change for the TEAM doesn't fit you personally, but TEAM FIRST is my motto. 
looks like about a third of the teams in the league hold their camps at alternate locations such as colleges and hotels.  I doubt free agents really give a shit about where they are spending the first couple weeks of camp season.  the players grumbled about camp,  but i doubt we honestly lost any free agents because camp was held in mankato... or that we will be signing any because they dont have to spend 2 weeks in mankato.  again,  no issues with the new facility,  but for me as a fan it does nothing in terms of hosting camp there so why should I be happy about camp being there.  (rhetorical,  dont bother answering)