Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jameis Winston suspended 3 games
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
they have to ride it out with him right now.   you cant just cut a first round QB that is playing decent.  his trade value will increase if they stick with him a bit and then put him on the market vs just cutting bait right now.  yes he is a piece of shit,  but he is a piece of shit with value and the bucs wouldnt be doing right by their fans to just cut him outright.
The fans seem less then 50-50 on him now.  You are right that cutting him would be a mistake given that he's got some value. I'd say only 25% want to cut him now. Many do want to draft another one next year. He has changed his life since this happened. At least on outward appearances. He lost alot of trust though. 
thats why I say roll with him... he is a sunk cost and the only way they lose is if he screws up again at which time they cut him immediately to give the appearance of being tough, and dont look back.
They could lose if as Jor-El says he gets hurt. That's been brought up as a reason not to risk it. $20 million reasons actually. Injury really in my mind is not so much a risk. He is physically dominating. I never liked the guy since FSU. Thought he was trouble. I don't think he's worth risking a new $100 million contract. This really screws the Bucs. They have to roll out Fitzpatrick against 3 tough teams. If they go 0-3 people will scream for Winston. If they are 2-1 and the sentiment stays negative on him. They might not risk getting him hurt. His numbers aren't bad. However with him out and Fitz playing well a few games last year. People have started taking notice of weakness in his game. 2 great WR's that he can't hit deep down field. One speedy Jackson who he can't utilize. Other a 6-5 target that barley broke 1000 yards last year.
they knew about his off the field shit when the picked up his 5th year option in may.  they were willing to risk it then and they still should be.  if he can rebound from this and put something decent on tape.... then they might have some trade value,  or a real franchise QB if he convinces them he has turned the corner both on and off the field.  cutting him or even trading him for peanuts right now would be a mistake IMO.
My understanding of the 5th year option for next season is it's only guaranteed if he's injured and can't be cleared by March. Yes picking up the option on the 1st overall draft pick is a no brainer. I think they very well knew even last season something happened that could effect his availability in the future. Koetter was well reported to have had some kind of strained relationship with Winston last season. Some now feel that they found out evidence that Jameis's adamant denials were, maybe not so true. This wouldn't be a issue if he wasn't a 1st overall. He'd be gone aready.

I'll just add that Jameis not only denied but out right lied. He said he wasn't in the front seat. He was. He said he was never alone with her. Not true. Made up some bs story about some unnamed 3rd person who did it. This person had since been named and is doing time for his own rape. Or so I've heard. However was not the one who grab this girls privates. His #1 witness was the same as when he beat the rape charge at FSU. All this was known and they still were willing to roll with him. It becomes harder once it's PUBLICLY known. People act like this just came out. Most don't notice till it's an embarrassment. Those are the ones teams fear for PR reasons. 
Ps: A disclaimer. I'm a Gator fan so salt need be applied to my feelings on Winston...lol.

It's interesting because he is so polarizing. I remember when he was drafted thinking it could go either way. I didn't want anything to do with him at the time and thought he was going to have issues. He was hyped up like crazy. And they will hype him regardless. 

There is one every year in the NFL. And there are those that end up behind bars when their career is over. If he doesn't change, he will be a prime candidate.