Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT - Walleye Fishing the Columbia River Gorge
Quote: @"Kentis" said:
There’s sturgeon fishing in this area as well, great fishery!
I saw an episode on "River Monsters" where Jeremy Wade caught a nice white sturgeon there. I've caught shovelnose sturgeon in the Missouri River outside of Bismarck but they are protected here in Nodak because they are too easily confused with the endangered pallid sturgeon that's also found in the Missouri. Sturgeon are fun to catch! Even the small ones feel like you're trying to horse a log out of the water!

Quote: @"prairieghost" said:
@"Kentis" said:
There’s sturgeon fishing in this area as well, great fishery!
I saw an episode on "River Monsters" where Jeremy Wade caught a nice white sturgeon there. I've caught shovelnose sturgeon in the Missouri River outside of Bismarck but they are protected here in Nodak because they are too easily confused with the endangered pallid sturgeon that's also found in the Missouri. Sturgeon are fun to catch! Even the small ones feel like you're trying to horse a log out of the water!
We actually found our guide watching “Angler West TV”  B)

I love Oregon and fly out there for a week or two every year. We usually rent a house on the ocean but I have been wanting to book the same trip you did. That Columbia River valley is beautiful. Very windy though. There is a lot of wind surfing there.
 Walleye fishing has been my lifelong hobby and I have fished a lot of places. The last few years I have been fishing Lake of the Woods, just north of Baudette, in Canada with great results. I have also been fishing the SD glacial lakes around Waubay. I have fished pretty much,the entire Missouri river system in the past, including Sak , by Garrison, and the river around Bismark. Would like to fish the Van Hook arm in the fall, but it's a long haul from Nebraska.
Anyway, congrats on your catch. Nice healthy looking fish.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
I love Oregon and fly out there for a week or two every year. We usually rent a house on the ocean but I have been wanting to book the same trip you did. That Columbia River valley is beautiful. Very windy though. There is a lot of wind surfing there.
 Walleye fishing has been my lifelong hobby and I have fished a lot of places. The last few years I have been fishing Lake of the Woods, just north of Baudette, in Canada with great results. I have also been fishing the SD glacial lakes around Waubay. I have fished pretty much,the entire Missouri river system in the past, including Sak , by Garrison, and the river around Bismark. Would like to fish the Van Hook arm in the fall, but it's a long haul from Nebraska.
Let me know if you ever need a fishing report from NESD.  I am about 20 minutes from waubay and my kid lives to fish and usually knows the what where and how.

We drive through the Gorge frequently...it's massive water, you do need a guide.  I honestly didn't know there were walleye there though.  Thanks for the tip.

No limit....  I’ll have to let my brothers know this. 

Great Photos Kentis looks like a great time.  Thanks for sharing!

Finally got a chance to comment...

Looks like an awesome fishing trip, Kentis!  You guys caught some nice fish.

How many Heinies died on that trip?  Lol

BOOM

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
where at on the coast?  We were in pacific city 2 years ago and drove through that gorge.  Beautiful country for sure.  We just went to the WA coast just north of the columbia mouth.  That river is crazy huge.  Still a bit cool for the ocean, but beat the tourist season and prices, so it was great.

I live in the Columbia River Gorge and let me tell you it's the best fishing in the USA. I grew up in MN but the Columbia River is amazing for fishing! 
And the Columbia is one HUGE river. Several miles wide in most locations. The Columbia pumps more fresh water into the ocean than any river in North America. The mouth of the river that spills into the Pacific Ocean is so violent that all the big  ships have to have a professional driver come on board to be able to make it from the ocean to the river. My Navy buddies said the Columbia river area of the Pacific ocean is the only place that they got sea sick...lol
This is the view of the river on the Washington side about 10 minutes from my house...SKOL[Image: 1lmc5yy0psxm.jpg]

Quote: @"BeaverVike" said:
I live in the Columbia River Gorge and let me tell you it's the best fishing in the USA. I grew up in MN but the Columbia River is amazing for fishing! 
And the Columbia is one HUGE river. Several miles wide in most locations. The Columbia pumps more fresh water into the ocean than any river in North America. The mouth of the river that spills into the Pacific Ocean is so violent that all the big  ships have to have a professional driver come on board to be able to make it from the ocean to the river. My Navy buddies said the Columbia river area of the Pacific ocean is the only place that they got sea sick...lol
This is the view of the river on the Washington side about 10 minutes from my house...SKOL[Image: 1lmc5yy0psxm.jpg]
That’s awesome, planning our next trip for the Boardman area ...  B)