Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Vikings nail Day 3 of the draft?
So just doing a little more research on Colby Gossett. Just go to Twitter and search him. Now I know many of these are just fans and alumni of App State and not objective player evaluators, but I do this every year with all of our picks, and I'm not sure I've ever seen so much praise. By fan and analyst alike. They love Gossett. Most are convinced that Gossett's going to be one of the steals of the draft...

And there is reason to think they may be onto something. You don't find many guards in the 6th round that are 6-5, 311, 34-inch arms, solid 40, 32 reps, and actually finished among the top linemen at the Senior Bowl in 1 on 1 win percentage against drafted DL.

And before you say, "yeah, same was said about...fill in the blank." No, it wasn't. In fact, in most cases it was the opposite.

Jeff Baca's Shrine game showed a good run blocker who absolutely could not pass block. Chris DeGeare had good athleticism numbers but nothing else. DeMarcus Love had the worst Senior Bowl I've ever seen by anyone. To this day he was the pick that pissed me off the most. Several scouts HATED David Yankey, one called him "undraftable." Willie Beavers was the 2nd lowest graded tackle in college football, and the lowest graded offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl before we burned a 4th round pick on him. It's like we weren't even paying attention. But Elflein, Danny Isadora...and now Gossett. I wonder if we're turning a corner on these mid-to-late round OLs.

Who likes pancakes? 

https://twitter.com/THEAppState/status/8...3363786752

I keep saying it. With Peters out (he was an UDFA) the Eagles had Vaitai at LT, 5th Round pick. Weisnewski at LG. 2nd Round pick but already on his 3rd team. Kelce at Center drafted in the 6th. Brooks at RG from the 3rd Round and on his second team. And Lane was a super high pick, but after Fisher and Joeckel, who were universally thought to be the better players in that draft.

It ain't about where you get 'em. It's about how you coach 'em up.

I think they nailed Day 3.5...

They got some talented and interesting guys.  I would say that they completely nailed it if they had taken a lineman first pick.  As is, its a pretty good draft.  It should be fun to watch these guys.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
I have no problem with the draft. I think the only OL they wanted in the first (not counting Nelson) were McGlinchey, Miller, or Wynn. That's it. None were there and a DB they wanted was - I preferred Josh Jackson but I'm not going to say that I know better. I wanted Hurst, but if he was off their board for medical reasons (after getting almost nothing from Sharif Floyd) I understand that judgment call.

I also wanted a RB, but we have 4 already. And now we got Pettway after the draft. If he can beat out Brown or Ham, that would be great.

I thought Ronnie Harrison went really late and would have been a nice pick, although not a great need. Of course, Jax takes him.

I liked the Auburn kicker pick. We need to stabilize that position for years at a time.

The UDFA class looks really good. If Hill is serious about an NFL career he will make this team.

Let the fun begin.
I thought Harrison was going to be ours and then Jacksonville took him.

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Ask me in 3 years.
did we hit on day three draft from 2015?
We got Diggs and then a lot of nothing.  Day 1 was good and day 2 was great.

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"dadevike" said:
I have no problem with the draft. I think the only OL they wanted in the first (not counting Nelson) were McGlinchey, Miller, or Wynn. That's it. None were there and a DB they wanted was - I preferred Josh Jackson but I'm not going to say that I know better. I wanted Hurst, but if he was off their board for medical reasons (after getting almost nothing from Sharif Floyd) I understand that judgment call.

I also wanted a RB, but we have 4 already. And now we got Pettway after the draft. If he can beat out Brown or Ham, that would be great.

I thought Ronnie Harrison went really late and would have been a nice pick, although not a great need. Of course, Jax takes him.

I liked the Auburn kicker pick. We need to stabilize that position for years at a time.

The UDFA class looks really good. If Hill is serious about an NFL career he will make this team.

Let the fun begin.
I thought Harrison was going to be ours and then Jacksonville took him.
I was hoping for that. Harrison and Hurst. But I do like the Hughes pick.

Quote: @"Bolstad79" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
Ask me in 3 years.
did we hit on day three draft from 2015?
We got Diggs and then a lot of nothing.  Day 1 was good and day 2 was great.
Getting Diggs, who was arguably the best day 3 pick in the entire draft, makes up for a lot of nothing.