Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is a very good interior line class
I am wondering how much of our O line success was from Keenums pocket presence and scrambling abilities.  Its tough to determine just how good the O line actually was.

G or OT or both, the OL needs to improve...2017 was better than it's been, but that's different than good enough.

I don't have faith in it to go on the road and win a playoff game. Maybe my view is still too skewed by what we had to field by the NFCCG, but I'm not completely convinced of that. 

Lets not forget Case helped that line look better than it was pass blocking wise too. I would not be surprised to see 2 of our top 4 or 5 picks go to this position group. 

I said last year that I wanted to see 2 of our top 3 picks to go to OL,  well they got 1,  so again this year,   I want to see 2 of our top 4 picks to go towards OL.  Wynn is interesting as he could start immediately at G,  has the ability to kick outside to T,  and could learn the C position,  that certainly sounds like a first round quality player to me.   If we could get Wynn in the first and then Price in the second... well that would be about as sweet as it could get.   I dont know what to expect from Compton and the other guys from Philly so I can stop thinking that we really could use 2 new guards as I was not impressed with Easton last year ( Guru says the team is high on him)  and have said for a few years that Berger has to many WTF plays to be a consistent reliable starter.

Easton would make an excellent swing C/OG on a good line.  That should be the goal.

Quote: @SmashmouthD said:
Easton would make an excellent swing C/OG on a good line.  That should be the goal.
This is what I'd like to see.  I'd also like to see us at a place where our swing tackle is also improved.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
the only thing I keep coming back to is this,  with 5 guards already on the roster,  how much of an upside is there over them in taking one at 30?  

Easton, Isidora, Remmers, and the 2 we signed this offseason.

I think Easton could easily be improved upon,  and we really dont know about the other 4,  but even with the top level Guards that should be available at 30, is there going to be as much value there for the Vikings as there might be at other positions?
The Vikings like Easton a lot more than most fans and media members do. Sometimes chemistry trumps individual talent. He works well with Elflein and doesn't have any limitations in what he can do. I think we'll know a lot more about Easton after the 2018 season since he should continue to improve in his second season as a starter. 

As for the Remmers debate I see ongoing, the Vikings want him at guard. But that doesn't mean they're going to reach for a tackle to do that. If the guards available are significantly more valuable they'll scrap moving Remmers for the time being. 
I like Easton!  Like the Vikings (apparently) I don't know why some folks are as down on Easton as they are.  But that's OK.  I just disagree.  I think he's above average... and I'm hoping that he's still ascending as a player.  Isadora seemed like a good "power" guard... but I wonder about him in pass protection.  But I would love it if he stepped up and took the RG spot (and kicked Remmers back to OT).  Then draft an OT (assuming there is a good one there when we pick).

I like Wynn and Price to make this OL top half.  I don't see Remmers as an OG, he's an average RT IMO, which is good enough.  If they get Wynn he or Hill could get worked in in Remmers absence.

Price gives them great talent in the middle and allows the depth to be G or OT they have 3 quality centers starting.

I think Easton, Elflien, Price/Wynn give them a stellar interior.  Reiff can handle LT just finished in that lineup and Remmers is good enough with Hill hopefully developing further to quality depth.  That leaves Isadora and Collins who showed some promise.

I think they are close to top half if healthy add one top prospect and another developmental guy and it will be the best it been since Tice left.

Remmers is good enough at RT? Methinks Cam Newton would have a different opinion.

Folks, Remmers would not have done any better against Jordan or Graham than Hill did.

He's LEAGUE AVERAGE. That looks like Future HOF compared to two years ago but it isn't good enough to win it all.

And he's 29. The odds of him improving at this point aren't good. But sure, let's draft not one but two guards and then get pissed again next season when the team comes up short and the RT is constantly giving up pressure.

I don't feel quite as down on Remmers as FSUV, but I agree that he isn't a great RT.  He's above league average, but not by much.

I feel like Remmers at RG would be very good.  If it makes sense, I'd love to see a new RT next year.  But an upgrade on the right side of the OL is a necessity.

I like Hill, and felt he did a good job as a fill-in down the stretch.  He's not as good as Remmers at OT.

I don't feel like I can have an opinion on Isadora.  Sample size.

Collins looks like an athletic freak.  Sometimes those guys don't work out, though (see Webb, Joe).  But I did love how they used him as a blocking TE when they were short due to injury.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
Remmers is good enough at RT? Methinks Cam Newton would have a different opinion.

Folks, Remmers would not have done any better against Jordan or Graham than Hill did.

He's LEAGUE AVERAGE. That looks like Future HOF compared to two years ago but it isn't good enough to win it all.

And he's 29. The odds of him improving at this point aren't good. But sure, let's draft not one but two guards and then get pissed again next season when the team comes up short and the RT is constantly giving up pressure.
I don't think we are going to have a day 1 starter at tackle sitting there at 30...isn't it you that always says a first rounder should contribute immediately?  I think we could likely find 2 day 1 starters at G in the first 2 rounds but T I think would be a bit more of a stretch.  Even a guy that would displace Collins or Hill would be asking a lot as this year's OT crop dosent seem to be very promising after McGlinchey comes off the board in the early to mid 20s at the latest.

I'm looking at our weakest spots and right now I think our biggest weakness is our guard positions and this happen to play to the strength of this draft.