Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy leaving?
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
Whatever the Vikings' intentions, it appears that the QB situation will depend on Cousins' asking price vs his desire to "win now", Teddy's development/recovery as seen by the Vikings staff, the real condition of Bradford's knees, and exactly how much the locker room loved Keenum.

All that considered, Cousins is the biggest domino in the game.
am I the only one seeing the Vikings getting left with their 4th or 5th option when this all plays out?   They really want Cousins,  but only at X price.  Its close enough that his team keeps them on the hook.  Meanwhile our QBs are wooed away by the other teams that arent really in the mix for Cousins and we get ryan fitzpatrick backed up by mark sanchez ( who gets beat out for the #2 in camp by Sloter)
Given the Vikings' cap space and desirable situation, it would be a pretty big upset if they didn't end up with one of the top QBs. 

Problem is, we don't know who that is. Are the Vikings as high on Cousins as the hype surrounding him? Do they still believe in Teddy's long-term potential given his knee injury? Are the complimentary statements about Bradford real? Or are they just giving him a fighting chance on the market, as teams often do. And might they still want Case Keenum, but at a much lower price than his franchise salary? 

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I feel pretty confident that the Vikings will get the QB they want. 
Same here.  The Wilfs and Rick see the potential on this team and will likely go after what they want.  I fear the opposite really, that we will overspend and hamstring the team in the future.  But as long as we get a ring, I am fine with whatever.

Many people seem so worried about multi-year budget plans for the team. The first, hardest, and only absolutely necessary step in building a championship dynasty: win your FIRST championship. Let's not nitpick the budget to ensure a long-term "division dynasty".
Agree with Jor-El.  People freak put like its their money being spent, yet its not.  Hell I would bust the Salary Cap budget if it led to us winning a Super Bowl, then gladly pay the consequences over the next few years if necessary.   But thats just me.   I also have a lot of confidence in Brezinski to manage our financials.   

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:
Whatever the Vikings' intentions, it appears that the QB situation will depend on Cousins' asking price vs his desire to "win now", Teddy's development/recovery as seen by the Vikings staff, the real condition of Bradford's knees, and exactly how much the locker room loved Keenum.

am I the only one seeing the Vikings getting left with their 4th or 5th option when this all plays out?   They really want Cousins,  but only at X price.  Its close enough that his team keeps them on the hook.  Meanwhile our QBs are wooed away by the other teams that arent really in the mix for Cousins and we get ryan fitzpatrick backed up by mark sanchez ( who gets beat out for the #2 in camp by Sloter)
Given the Vikings' cap space and desirable situation, it would be a pretty big upset if they didn't end up with one of the top QBs. 

Problem is, we don't know who that is. Are the Vikings as high on Cousins as the hype surrounding him? Do they still believe in Teddy's long-term potential given his knee injury? Are the complimentary statements about Bradford real? Or are they just giving him a fighting chance on the market, as teams often do. And might they still want Case Keenum, but at a much lower price than his franchise salary? 

I don't know the answer to any of these questions, but I feel pretty confident that the Vikings will get the QB they want. 
Same here.  The Wilfs and Rick see the potential on this team and will likely go after what they want.  I fear the opposite really, that we will overspend and hamstring the team in the future.  But as long as we get a ring, I am fine with whatever.

Many people seem so worried about multi-year budget plans for the team. The first, hardest, and only absolutely necessary step in building a championship dynasty: win your FIRST championship. Let's not nitpick the budget to ensure a long-term "division dynasty".
a championship would be great,  but not at the expense of having to watch shit football for 3-5 years after that IMO.  I know it sounds crazy,  but I watch for entertainment and as great as 1 year of being on top would be,   i dont know that it wouldnt lose its luster if the team fell off after that due to not being able to afford the pieces or not having the draft pieces to maintain a competitive team.    a lombardi would be awesome,  but not if we cant back it up.  I am fine with going after cousins as long as its done responsibly.   we see good teams go all in ever few years and it rarely works out, can it .... yes,  but its no guarantee that over spending on a guy is going to make it happen.  if our capologist (guru) says around 26 is the max without handcuffing the future then I tend to agree and think that going beyond that would be stupid.

Quote: @Magnus10 said:
@Jor-El said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:

Agree with Jor-El.  People freak put like its their money being spent, yet its not.  Hell I would bust the Salary Cap budget if it led to us winning a Super Bowl, then gladly pay the consequences over the next few years if necessary.   But thats just me.   I also have a lot of confidence in Brezinski to manage our financials.   
no, people freak because its a capped league and we know that overspending has consequences.  even the great Brez got handcuffed with making Favres contract work with the other big ones we had at the time.   hes good at his job,  but hes not a magician.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:

a championship would be great,  but not at the expense of having to watch shit football for 3-5 years after that IMO.  I know it sounds crazy,  but I watch for entertainment and as great as 1 year of being on top would be,   i dont know that it wouldnt lose its luster if the team fell off after that due to not being able to afford the pieces or not having the draft pieces to maintain a competitive team.    a lombardi would be awesome,  but not if we cant back it up.  I am fine with going after cousins as long as its done responsibly.   we see good teams go all in ever few years and it rarely works out, can it .... yes,  but its no guarantee that over spending on a guy is going to make it happen.  if our capologist (guru) says around 26 is the max without handcuffing the future then I tend to agree and think that going beyond that would be stupid.
I'm not sure I wouldn't pick the championship, myself..... but you're arguing from extremes. Is the downfall of overpaying Cousins actually that we will watch "shit football", meaning we will fall to some 3-13 Browns-like squad?? How would that happen, anyway - you tie up an extra $5M in the salary cap, so ALL our good players leave - even the ones already under contract? Of course not. If we paid a QB $30M/year, our "problems" are more likely in the form of having to let someone like Danielle Hunter or Trae Waynes leave after their rookie contracts, or maybe not add any other expensive FAs like Sheldon Richardson.
So tee up the issue more accurately: would you want a Super Bowl championship even if it meant the team might be in the 9-7 to 10-6 range for the 3 seasons after? I sure would.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Jor-El said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Zanary said:

And spending like Daniel Synder does not guarantee a championship.

I have to think they'll want an agreement in place with Cousins before actual FA starts or they will be forced to make offers to keep one of the others.  Maybe they put the best offer for each on the table and if Kirk doesn't  bite they go plan B.  Assuming they aren't using Kirk as a form of leverage on the others.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
Retaining Bridgewater in 'some capacity' isn't what I'd call a ringing endorsement as the answer at QB. But they may have to look at him as a Plan B or fall back scenario potentially depending on how things go with either Cousins or Bradford. 
How can you give a QB who hasn't been on the field in two years a ringing endorsement? I don't think a single NFL team would be able to definitively say that Bridgewater was the answer if they'd been in the Vikings shoes. That doesn't mean they wouldn't want him back however.  
You can't, of course. But he's a Plan B at best right now. Vikings intentions will flesh out for real in the days to come.
Plan D maybe

A KC
B SB or CK
C CK or SB
D TB

There is a potential downside to signing the next big money free agent, look how it worked out for the Bears.  There is also validity in the argument that big money QB's can strap their teams when it comes to keeping talented vets.  Rogers, Manning, Brees each are/were in situation where they HAD to elevate the talent around them.  Paying a QB that kind of money means the QB has to be able to do that.

The two day legal tampering period will tell us if Cousins is an option.  If he is not and option and we do not have a deal in principle in place we will absolutely throw some money at Teddy or Bradford.  I think the Vikes let Keenum walk unless everything else falls apart.

Vikings' Teddy Bridgewater set for free agency with contract issue resolvedIf Teddy Bridgewater's career with the Vikings is to continue, the team will have to sign him to a new deal for the 2018 season.
League sources said Tuesday morning that the NFL Management Council has decided not to toll the quarterback's 2017 contract into the new league year, resolving a potentially contentious issue after Bridgewater's 2016 knee injury caused him to begin the 2017 season on the physically-unable-to-perform (PUP) list. Bridgewater is set to become a free agent March 14.
The NFL's collective bargaining agreement says a player on the PUP list and in the final year of his contract will have his deal tolled "if he is still physically unable to perform his football services as of the sixth regular-season game." The Vikings activated Bridgewater from the PUP list after their Week 6 victory over the Green Bay Packers, setting up the possibility his contract could toll into 2018. Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman said before the Super Bowl, though, that Bridgewater was "technically ready" to become a free agent in March, and that any decision to carry over the final year of the quarterback's original four-year contract into his fifth season would be made between the league and the NFL Players Association, independent of the Vikings.
Had the NFL decided to enact the tolling provision of the CBA on Bridgewater's contract, it likely would have triggered a grievance from the NFLPA. NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said on Feb. 2 that the union's position was "if a player is medically cleared to play, he needs to be activated.
"At times, does that result in a fight between the union and management over a provision in the tolling agreement? Yes. Does it mean that might be language we would want to look at again and change in a new CBA? Yes."
The union's case likely would have hung on whether Bridgewater was medically ready to return from the PUP list before he could be activated after six weeks. 
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-teddy...475297223/