Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best (and most likely) possible outcome of the Vikings’ quarterback situation?
Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
I don't know why Bradford + Teddy would be financially difficult.  Neither is going to get "much" on the open market.  Sam has high upside- but is a huge risk.  Teddy has potential- but also more risk.  I can't imagine that any team is going to pay them to become starters.  So now you've got 2 back-ups (in terms of salary) competing for a starting job.  I would think that some combination of $25 million (or less) would get both of them- and we'd still have Sloter.  That is... if the team wanted both of them.  
Sort of agree, but I think with the dearth of talent at QB1 positions around the NFL, either could get paid as a starter. 
but does either one want to got to the places that are so desperate for a starting QB that they will over look their existing issues and guarantee them that starter money?   I dont know about Teddy,  but I doubt Sam would want to move to Cleveland or the Jets,  maybe AZ for him,  but I sure wouldnt expect him to agree to play in buffalo with his knees.
Depends on.  Would 7-10 mil more a year make Buffalo or NYJ palatable? 
not buffalo or likely even the jets, both are outdoor teams and with Sams knees... thats gonna make for a long last few years in the cooler months.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I don't know why Bradford + Teddy would be financially difficult.  Neither is going to get "much" on the open market.  Sam has high upside- but is a huge risk.  Teddy has potential- but also more risk.  I can't imagine that any team is going to pay them to become starters.  So now you've got 2 back-ups (in terms of salary) competing for a starting job.  I would think that some combination of $25 million (or less) would get both of them- and we'd still have Sloter.  That is... if the team wanted both of them.  
I fear we would just have 2 backup QBs.
Here's the lesson I took from the Vikings' experience in this season's playoffs: we built a "surrounding cast" team and it was only good enough to get us TO the playoffs, no further. Routed in the NFCCG and could/should have been one-and-done. We need top-15 QB play to contend. But some people still think the supporting cast is so good we can win with a backup QB? OK...
Hmm, there's a top 15 QB available and we have cap space to outbid his other suitors. But some think we should insist on that QB taking a discounted salary because playing here will be such a privilege? Save $3-5M of the Wilfs' money so that we can...what? Make Danielle Hunter the highest-paid DE in the NFL next year while playing for an 11-5 wildcard team??

its funny how most were excited for 2016 and what the future held with Teddy as our franchise QB... then Teddy got hurt and we got Sam and he played exceptional in 2016 and all we heard was how great it was to have 2 franchise QBs... now they are considered back up QBs?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
its funny how most were excited for 2016 and what the future held with Teddy as our franchise QB... then Teddy got hurt and we got Sam and he played exceptional in 2016 and all we heard was how great it was to have 2 franchise QBs... now they are considered back up QBs?
IMO Bradford is brittle and depending on him would be crazy. IMO Bridgewater might be just as bad physically, and the hope of early 2016 was based on extrapolating that he would continue improving his game. Now his development was interrupted by 2 years without game play and an injury that might have altered his throwing mechanics.
Two years have passed, the situation changed, and we learned more. Updating your opinions with more current information is a good thing, not a character flaw.

Quote: @Jor-El said:

@JimmyinSD said:
IMO Bradford is brittle and depending on him would be crazy. IMO Bridgewater might be just as bad physically, and the hope of early 2016 was based on extrapolating that he would continue improving his game. Now his development was interrupted by 2 years without game play and an injury that might have altered his throwing mechanics.
Two years have passed, the situation changed, and we learned more. Updating your opinions with more current information is a good thing, not a character flaw.

but you have no current information on Teddy.  you are using assumption that is really tainted bias,  and ignoring all the positives that have been coming from those that actually have real first hand information in the coaches and teammates.

as far as Sam being brittle,  we were all waiting for him to get broken in 16 behind that mess of line and he played every snap IIRC.  yes he has missed 3 seasons so he should certainly not be without a solid #2,  but he is definitely more than a back up QB.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@pumpf said:
I fear we would just have 2 backup QBs.
Here's the lesson I took from the Vikings' experience in this season's playoffs: we built a "surrounding cast" team and it was only good enough to get us TO the playoffs, no further. Routed in the NFCCG and could/should have been one-and-done. We need top-15 QB play to contend. But some people still think the supporting cast is so good we can win with a backup QB? OK...
Hmm, there's a top 15 QB available and we have cap space to outbid his other suitors. But some think we should insist on that QB taking a discounted salary because playing here will be such a privilege? Save $3-5M of the Wilfs' money so that we can...what? Make Danielle Hunter the highest-paid DE in the NFL next year while playing for an 11-5 wildcard team??

And how some assume a top 15 QB that racked up stats playing for a bad team will automatically make the seamless transfer to another team. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Bradford/Sloter? I'm starting to bump this up the reality scale personally.
I was thinking the same thing while reading through this thread.  I have a feeling Sloter is going to be the backup regardless of who they sign as the starter.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
@StickyBun said:
I was thinking the same thing while reading through this thread.  I have a feeling Sloter is going to be the backup regardless of who they sign as the starter.
As much as I like Sloter, I think it would be pretty foolish to count on him as QB2 two years removed from playing WR. 2019, maybe. But not next year. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@1VikesFan said:
@StickyBun said:
As much as I like Sloter, I think it would be pretty foolish to count on him as QB2 two years removed from playing WR. 2019, maybe. But not next year. 

He was a top QB recruit in HS who was recruited to Southern Miss as a QB, coaching changes led to him transferring, he played WR for season then went back to QB.  So it's not like he is a converted WR laying QB he WAS a converted QB playing WR.  It sounds like he has the head/mind of a QB which is 50% of the battle(heart and arm talent the remaining).

Worthwhile read:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pi...r-steelers

Quote: @NodakViking said:
@MaroonBells said:
@1VikesFan said:
@StickyBun said:

He was a top QB recruit in HS who was recruited to Southern Miss as a QB, coaching changes led to him transferring, he played WR for season then went back to QB.  So it's not like he is a converted WR laying QB he WAS a converted QB playing WR.  It sounds like he has the head/mind of a QB which is 50% of the battle(heart and arm talent the remaining).

Worthwhile read:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pi...r-steelers

Oh I know. Trust me he's been on my radar since before the draft. One of the few media scouts I actually sorta trust, Dave Te Thomas, wouldn't shut up about him. I'm just saying he's raw. He's a helluva developmental prospect. I just think he probably needs another year.