Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Every Teddy long pass from 2015
That article was written by a Teddy fanatic who's going to see what he wants to see.

It's tough to watch that video and equate it to anything positive.

"If you look at it sideways and bend your screen a little and for the second to last game pretend that the Vikings are wearing yellow pants... Teddy's deep balls are more accurate than any quarterback in history."

It's been two years, but I'm pretty sure that just about everyone agreed that Teddy's deep ball was less than good and his arm strength was a drawback.  Surrounding all of the hope that he's going to get better is the lack of any realistic impression of how good he was when he got hurt.  He wasn't good.  He had potential.  He had the same potential that Jackson and Ponder had, but something about the way he played gave us all the hope that he would be the one who actually lived up to it.  His strengths were that he had good legs, but he kept his head up anyways.  He was good making the decision to throw the ball away when it made sense.  He made safe throws most of the time, but not so much that it was a problem.  And he had a head on his shoulders smart enough that we were all comfortable that he'd eventually learn to be good at reading defenses.  Most of us had some hope, but most of us were pretty wary of the 100 yard games too.  Let's not put lipstick on a pig.  He was a project that was hopefully going to come into his own.

At best on the Vikings he's a backup.  And at least for 2018, he's not the kind of backup that Foles or Keenum turned out to be. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I thought he looked noticeably stronger than Case,  and Teddy actually could have benefitted by taking a page out of Cases play book and put a little more air under some of those throws. ( not punt hang time like some of Cases throws were, but a little more air for receiver to be able to make an adjustment on) One thing to keep in mind is a lot of those throws were in very predictable situations as Norv didnt use much creativity early in the downs)  I have a hard time taking to much from that video good or bad as that season was such a mess offensively and only being Teddys second season.
In no way, shape or form did I think his arm looked noticeably stronger than Case’s.  In fact I thought it looked quite a bit weaker, especially when he did resorted to dropping the elbow and flicking the ball.  The so-called Hail Mary that landed at the 15 yard line was the most egregious example, but there were plenty of others.

I never thought that Case had anything but a more than adequate arm last year.  However I definitely felt that arm strength was Teddy’s biggest issue during his time here as a starter, and almost all media outlets continue to mention it when the comparing the 3 QBs.

What I find funny is that Teddy gets ripped for his arm strength and inconsistent deep ball...  yet Case has a weaker arm and arguably had much better WRs to come down with contested catches downfield...  and one gets a free pass and the other doesn't.

If everyone wants a QB with a consistently good deep ball, they should be lobbying hard for the Vikings to sign Cousins.  He's been one of the best at it the past couple years...  Pair him up with Diggs and Thielen (top 5 in contested catches this season) and watch his numbers REALLY take off.

Again, I think Case has a stronger arm than Teddy, and look at how many of the deep balls in that video that Teddy never even gave his WRs a chance on, because he either threw the ball out of bounds (not on purpose) or just flat out missed the WR.

@Wetlander Case played in the NFC Championship game, threw the Minnesota Miracle, and led the team to more wins than _anyone_ would have expected at the beginning of the season and a lot of people didn't even expect 12 games into it.  And he avoided sacks like some sort of ninja.

How does that not buy him a pass?

Quote: @Wetlander said:
What I find funny is that Teddy gets ripped for his arm strength and inconsistent deep ball...  yet Case has a weaker arm and arguably had much better WRs to come down with contested catches downfield...  and one gets a free pass and the other doesn't.
Teddy and Case both had these recievers.
Diggs
Thielen
wright
Rudy 
Case helped our receivers to get good numbers...Teddy couldn't achieve that.

Quote: @Norse said:
@Wetlander said:
Diggs
Thielen
wright
Rudy 

Wright had better numbers with Teddy than Case...  Diggs was a rookie that only started 13 games...  Thielen was a special teams player...  and Rudy caught a couple more TDs with Case but had basically the same amount of targets, receptions, and yards.

I guess I'm having a hard time seeing how the two situations are even remotely similar.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Norse said:
@Wetlander said:
Diggs
Thielen
wright
Rudy 

Wright had better numbers with Teddy than Case...  Diggs was a rookie that only started 13 games...  Thielen was a special teams player...  and Rudy caught a couple more TDs with Case but had basically the same amount of targets, receptions, and yards.

I guess I'm having a hard time seeing how the two situations are even remotely similar.
They arent.  Not even worth trying to compare.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Wetlander said:
@Norse said:
@Wetlander said:
Diggs
Thielen
wright
Rudy 

They arent.  Not even worth trying to compare.
Why aren't they worth comparing?