Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The buzz seems to say Teddy
Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
Take it for what it's worth. I don't think any of these guys know any more than the rest of us, but in Googling the latest chatter on Vikings' QB debate, there's definitely a buzz in the media that the Vikings may be leaning toward Teddy.... 

https://thevikingage.com/2018/02/12/rumo...idgewater/
NFL Update@MySportsUpdateExecutives around the league expect the #Vikings to give QB Teddy Bridgewater a short term and incentive based “prove it” type deal this offseason. They have not come to a conclusion on what they’ll do with Case Keenum.

Back in November, Over The Cap’s Jason Fitzgerald said he could see the Vikings giving Bridgewater a short-term contract this offseason worth, “between $6 million and $7 million a year plus incentives.” He also mentioned Minnesota probably will not fight to toll the quarterback’s current deal if it ends up looking like something that requires the NFLPA to get involved.

It just makes the most sense.  Taking the emotion out of it.  He has the most longterm upside of the 3.  Give him a contract that pays him as a starter with a chance to build on it.  Players usually will bet on themselves.  Pay him to avoid the tolling and earn a starters salary, but allowing him to prove himself and earn the big payday.  If he does, then the Vikings will be happy to pay him a top salary.  If not, he made decent money and gave it a shot.
Except the part about him not having played for a couple of years now.  If they sign him there has to be a realistic fallback plan that doesnt waste the season should he falter.
They all have risks.  That is why the coaches and GM will have to make that decision. 

It seems that the chatter is based upon the Vikings making a safe decision with one of their current 3.

There is very little chatter about the Vikings going after the better QB that will be available.  Kirk Cousins.

It is interesting that so many people (media types) dismiss the idea of Cousins and put the chances low.

I think a lot of fans are interested in saving money more than getting the best QB.

There really is no argument that Cousins has not had the better last 3 seasons of work.

The upside argument is speculative and not something that can be proved.

If the Vikings go with Teddy on a cheaper one year prove it deal or Case on some kind of tag, and neither really does as well as hoped, then they will be right back looking for a QB next year or the year after.

But what if they sign Cousins and he bombs?  It may take them longer to start looking for another QB.

It is a tough decision but it should not be.

Cousins has the better odds of succeeding going forward based on his track record.

I would put Case next then Sam and Teddy.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@Bullazin said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Ralphie said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
Take it for what it's worth. I don't think any of these guys know any more than the rest of us, but in Googling the latest chatter on Vikings' QB debate, there's definitely a buzz in the media that the Vikings may be leaning toward Teddy.... 

NFL Update@MySportsUpdateExecutives around the league expect the #Vikings to give QB Teddy Bridgewater a short term and incentive based “prove it” type deal this offseason. They have not come to a conclusion on what they’ll do with Case Keenum.

Back in November, Over The Cap’s Jason Fitzgerald said he could see the Vikings giving Bridgewater a short-term contract this offseason worth, “between $6 million and $7 million a year plus incentives.” He also mentioned Minnesota probably will not fight to toll the quarterback’s current deal if it ends up looking like something that requires the NFLPA to get involved.

It just makes the most sense.  Taking the emotion out of it.  He has the most longterm upside of the 3.  Give him a contract that pays him as a starter with a chance to build on it.  Players usually will bet on themselves.  Pay him to avoid the tolling and earn a starters salary, but allowing him to prove himself and earn the big payday.  If he does, then the Vikings will be happy to pay him a top salary.  If not, he made decent money and gave it a shot.
https://thevikingage.com/2018/01/23/who-...back-2018/

The above article puts the odds of the three being QB in 2018:
Sammy...20%
Case...60%
TB...80%
And the reasoning is pretty straightforward.  He'd be the least expensive to sign with the best upside.
My fear is we could see a repeat with Sammy's situation...the Vikes are in the midst of a great season and TB goes down with that bad wheel.  Who would be our backup and could we hope to see Case-clone 2.0?

That would be a fear with anyone. No matter who the QB is, he has to be backed up with someone qualified. Read the 3rd article I linked above. Rick calls the backup QB the 2nd most important position on the roster. And with so few appealing options out there in free agency, I keep coming back to the most ideal situation: Sam and Teddy. 
Despite preferences what makes it ideal is we have 2 firsts and a 4 th invested in these 2
Ah, that's not "ideal", that's "justifying spent draft picks". I actually hope the team management is not weighing that as a factor, because it can lead to clouded judgment and weaker decision-making. If a draft pick was a mistake - and I am NOT saying either was, just IF - a smart and confident GM admits it and moves on, rather than handicapping a team with a bad Ponder. I mean bad player.
you’re a little off in your own world of Speilly bashing i think. sure it is ideal.  we have 2 franchise QB’s in Teddy and Sam. Whats more ideal than that?  a system QB game manager that may get 20 million a year on the open market?

If I remember correctly many were with the TOA and Chilli for not going hard after Brees because he had a serious shoulder injury and surgery. Look how that turned out. 
I am not comparing Teddy to Brees but all this is largely a crapshoot mixed with some opinions from people paid to treat and evaluate athletes

Quote: @mblack said:
If I remember correctly many were with the TOA and Chilli for not going hard after Brees because he had a serious shoulder injury and surgery. Look how that turned out. 
I am not comparing Teddy to Brees but all this is largely a crapshoot mixed with some opinions from people paid to treat and evaluate athletes
i was one and i bet you were also.  Hoping we get this right, i want a trophy before i die

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@mblack said:
i was one and i bet you were also.  Hoping we get this right, i want a trophy before i die
I was probably the one leading the case against Brees. How sad.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
It seems that the chatter is based upon the Vikings making a safe decision with one of their current 3.

There is very little chatter about the Vikings going after the better QB that will be available.  Kirk Cousins.

It is interesting that so many people (media types) dismiss the idea of Cousins and put the chances low.

I think a lot of fans are interested in saving money more than getting the best QB.

There really is no argument that Cousins has not had the better last 3 seasons of work.

The upside argument is speculative and not something that can be proved.

If the Vikings go with Teddy on a cheaper one year prove it deal or Case on some kind of tag, and neither really does as well as hoped, then they will be right back looking for a QB next year or the year after.

But what if they sign Cousins and he bombs?  It may take them longer to start looking for another QB.

It is a tough decision but it should not be.

Cousins has the better odds of succeeding going forward based on his track record.

I would put Case next then Sam and Teddy.
I'm a little surprised too...  unless Kirk is lying about wanting to win and goes for the most money, the Vikings should have the inside track to lock him up for a market rate contract.  Let's not forget that Brez is a cap genius and should be able to construct a contract that pays Kirk like a top QB, but doesn't sacrifice our ability to retain our own upcoming FAs. 

The rumblings say that Cousins camp has been putting out the smoke that he wants to be here.  The question is...  do the Vikings want him?  I think they should look hard at him.  Bradford and Keenum had career years here...  It's not crazy to think that Cousins could too.  He's done more with less than Keenum and Bradford did on their previous teams.  And everyone said their play was hampered by a poor supporting cast.  Cook, Thielen, Diggs, and Rudy are better than Crowder, Doctson, Vernon Davis, and Samaje Perine.

If we miss out on Cousins, Teddy would be the only in-house option I'd try to re-sign... assuming he is fully recovered and the training staff has no concerns with his knee long-term.  He offers everything DeFillipo is looking for in a QB.  Character, leadership, timing, accuracy, and decision making.

If I'm the Vikings, I would try to get one of these guys and let Bradford and Keenum walk and get a couple compensatory picks in 2019.

Without knowing the health status of Bridgewater and Bradford it's just not possible to predict what the Vikings will do.

Then layer the added complexity of the marketplace. The $ they're willing to spend, then layer it again with whether the Vikings are even interested in either (or Cousins or Case) and for what cost and you have a mystery wrapped by an enigma wrapped by a riddle.  

Sherlock Holmes would be stupefied trying to solve this one. 

Frankly it's amazing and a little disconcerting coming off a 13/3 season to have this much of a question mark at the undisputedly most important position on the team. 

Then again, this is the Vikings who have had 2,001,984 qb's since Moon retired...

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@Jor-El said:
@Bullazin said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Ralphie said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:

https://thevikingage.com/2018/01/23/who-...back-2018/

The above article puts the odds of the three being QB in 2018:
Sammy...20%
Case...60%
TB...80%
And the reasoning is pretty straightforward.  He'd be the least expensive to sign with the best upside.
My fear is we could see a repeat with Sammy's situation...the Vikes are in the midst of a great season and TB goes down with that bad wheel.  Who would be our backup and could we hope to see Case-clone 2.0?

That would be a fear with anyone. No matter who the QB is, he has to be backed up with someone qualified. Read the 3rd article I linked above. Rick calls the backup QB the 2nd most important position on the roster. And with so few appealing options out there in free agency, I keep coming back to the most ideal situation: Sam and Teddy. 
Despite preferences what makes it ideal is we have 2 firsts and a 4 th invested in these 2
Ah, that's not "ideal", that's "justifying spent draft picks". I actually hope the team management is not weighing that as a factor, because it can lead to clouded judgment and weaker decision-making. If a draft pick was a mistake - and I am NOT saying either was, just IF - a smart and confident GM admits it and moves on, rather than handicapping a team with a bad Ponder. I mean bad player.
you’re a little off in your own world of Speilly bashing i think. sure it is ideal.  we have 2 franchise QB’s in Teddy and Sam. Whats more ideal than that?  a system QB game manager that may get 20 million a year on the open market?

Sorry I just cant agree with the statement about having 2 franchise QBs in Sam and Teddy.  Sam has the arm talent to be a franchise QB and the first Saints game showed all of his capabilities. But the injuries and being on his third team kind of undermine that.   At least Sam has shown he has the capability to be a franchise QB, if he can stay healthy, have a pretty clean pocket, and have some good weapons at his disposal.

Teddy just has not shown he is a franchise QB yet.  He MIGHT evolve/improve and eventually get there, but there is also is a good chance he might not.   Add in the knee injury and I just can't put my trust in him as THE guy.

Over the last two seasons we have had capable to good, and sometimes great, QB play from Bradford and Keenum.  I think we are all in for a shock if we go all in on Teddy and find him to be about the same QB he was in 2015.   He tends to hold the ball too long, check down regularly, and is not good on the deep ball.   I have seen enough games where we don't break 100 yards passing.  The reality is Teddy can not make the majority of the intermediate-deep throws that Sam made against the Saints, and has never produced the results we saw from Keenum this season.

I think we need to take a long look at Cousins, and if that does not work out maybe bring Case back on a shorter term contract and see if Teddy can back him up if his contract tolls.  I love Sams ability to throw the ball, but given DeFillipo's comments about wanting more mobility from his QBs I am not sure if he sees a good fit there.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Without knowing the health status of Bridgewater and Bradford it's just not possible to predict what the Vikings will do.

Then layer the added complexity of the marketplace. The $ they're willing to spend, then layer it again with whether the Vikings are even interested in either (or Cousins or Case) and for what cost and you have a mystery wrapped by an enigma wrapped by a riddle.  

Sherlock Holmes would be stupefied trying to solve this one. 

Frankly it's amazing and a little disconcerting coming off a 13/3 season to have this much of a question mark at the undisputedly most important position on the team. 

Then again, this is the Vikings who have had 2,001,984 qb's since Moon retired...
It would be nice to not have to worry about this for another 5 years (or more). It has been a long time since the Vikings could say that. Culpepper I suppose was the last.