Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Zimmer Talks Futures of Keenum, Bridgewater and Bradford
I think the notion that the two receivers helped out Case a lot while true it fails to mention the plays Case made just to buy time and allow these receivers more time to get open and thus, get better numbers.  Without Case making a lot of plays this year it would have been much different because I am fairly certain Bradford would not have made those plays and am unsure if Teddy would have after his injury.

I am hoping the Vikings are waiting on Cousins or Brees before deciding on one of these 3 current QBs.

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
I think the notion that the two receivers helped out Case a lot while true it fails to mention the plays Case made just to buy time and allow these receivers more time to get open and thus, get better numbers.  Without Case making a lot of plays this year it would have been much different because I am fairly certain Bradford would not have made those plays and am unsure if Teddy would have after his injury.

I am hoping the Vikings are waiting on Cousins or Brees before deciding on one of these 3 current QBs.
Perhaps if case wasn't starring down Diggs and AT he wouldnt have had to run around so much.

I will pass on the two you mentioned,  but I am curious what Smith would cost.  I don't know that Brees would be as good a fit in minnys lockerroom.

I would take Keenum long before Alex Smith. I have watched too many years of him being mr. checkdown though he certainly would be a fit for a Viking QB. Mediocre

Quote: @"kmillard" said:
I would take Keenum long before Alex Smith. I have watched too many years of him being mr. checkdown though he certainly would be a fit for a Viking QB. Mediocre
Agreed.  Talk to Chief fans suffering through another lackluster offensive season.  They went from the league best offense weeks 1-5 to the leagues worst games 6-12.  They are more than happy to move on from Smith.

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
@"kmillard" said:
Agreed.  Talk to Chief fans suffering through another lackluster offensive season.  They went from the league best offense weeks 1-5 to the leagues worst games 6-12.  They are more than happy to move on from Smith.
they should be looking to move on from andy reid if they want to blame anybody.  the play calling in that middle stretch was horrible.  

Interesting comparison charts...

7. Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs85.9 overall grade[Image: Slide02.jpg]
Excerpt from the PFF QB Annual: One of the biggest stories of the 2017 season, Smith became a big-time throw machine, posting the highest percentage of his career and ranking fifth in the league at 6.04 percent. There were more schemed-up opportunities for those big plays, but it was a different feel to Smith’s game this season as he took chances into tighter windows and the aggressiveness paid off.

9. Case Keenum, Minnesota Vikings – 85.4 overall grade[Image: Slide15.jpg]
Excerpt from the PFF QB Annual: Keenum’s incredible run this season with the Vikings extended all the way into the red zone this season. He threw the highest percentage of catchable passes of any starter in that area (76.9 percent) and didn’t have a single turnover-worthy throw. That’s more than just game managing.

20. Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins78.9 overall grade[Image: Slide30.jpg]
Excerpt from the PFF QB Annual: If 2017 was the final audition for Kirk Cousins to earn himself a blockbuster contract with the Washington Redskins, he didn’t exactly knock it out of the park. His 78.9 overall grade was the worst he has posted over the last three years, and his season was bookended by the worst two games of the year.

Good post, Ralphie.  It does make you think if you like Smith, or even Cousins, you might as well just give Case the job and save draft picks and money.

Obviously we have no idea how Teddy, Sam, and Case looked on the practice field.  If Case walks away from the Vikes, it's most likely because he clearly wasn't impressive enough to keep the job.

Zim says Sam is now healthy, and Teddy is too.  There will be lots of hand wringing around here while we wait and see who gets the nod.

I can tell I'm the only person on this board living in KC. Alex Smith was anything but a checkdown QB this year. 

Any issues the Chiefs Offense had could be tied directly to Reid abandoning the run too early and not having any true WRs once Conley went down.

As dynamic as Hill can be with the ball in his hands he's still an incredibly raw route runner ala Harvin.

And if you want stats Smith's Average Completed Air Yards was actually higher than Case's (6.3 to 5.9) and Average Intended Air Yards for both were nearly identical (8.0 to 8.1).

Think about that. Alex had a gimmick WR, a great TE and a slick.rookie RB and his average completed pass traveled further through the air past the LOS than Keenum's did.

Imagine what Smith could do with precise route runners like Diggs and Thielen! 

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
I can tell I'm the only person on this board living in KC. Alex Smith was anything but a checkdown QB this year. 

Any issues the Chiefs Offense had could be tied directly to Reid abandoning the run too early and not having any true WRs once Conley went down.

As dynamic as Hill can be with the ball in his hands he's still an incredibly raw route runner ala Harvin.

And if you want stats Smith's Average Completed Air Yards was actually higher than Case's (6.3 to 5.9) and Average Intended Air Yards for both were nearly identical (8.0 to 8.1).

Think about that. Alex had a gimmick WR, a great TE and a slick.rookie RB and his average completed pass traveled further through the air past the LOS than Keenum's did.

Imagine what Smith could do with precise route runners like Diggs and Thielen! 
Great points.  I'm rethinking the whole Smith as QB thing.  I'm from the KC area and most of my contacts there were extremely frustrated this year with KC's collapse. 
Overall, Smith had an excellent year.  But there were phases...due to Reid's play calling or whatever...that were alarming.  Here are two more charts...

[Image: Alex-Smith-Season-Weekly-Grades.jpg]
[Image: Alex-Smith-Drop-Off.jpg]

KC inflated their offense with gimmicks the first 5 weeks, defense got film and it got a lot tougher.

I didn't now Conley was even a real NFL WR.  I like Smith if they go outside to get a QB-not sure I like giving up a pick though.