Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teddy Ditches Knee Brace
If Sam plays well and get the vikings at least one win in the playoffs and Teddy is healthy gives the team options next offseason.

It's great seeing him out of the brace.  I'm cheering for him and hopeful he can make a complete unhindered comeback.  But I think these still images need to be taken with a grain of salt.  It's progress, but very likely just the next baby-step in the entire process.  They really don't tell that much of a factual story, outside of the fact he isn't wearing a brace.  Was it off all day long?  All practice long? For one series of practice or one particular drill in practice?  What if we see him wearing a brace again later next week?  Did he have a setback?  Everyone just needs to stop the prophecies and just let things play out.  

One of the more surprising things I heard from my orthopedist while I was having knee issues (nothing on Teddy's level of course) was that he very much discouraged knee braces. When I went in the first time and told him I was wearing a brace he reacted saying "No no no." And after the meniscus tear surgery braces were not part of post op recovery. I think the thinking these days is that braces discourage the strengthening of the muscles that support the knee, leading to increased and unnecessary stress on the tendons and ligaments.

I've heard friends say they heard similar instructions from their knee doctors.

Anyway, just a laymen's anecdote. But I'm guessing Teddy's doctors are ready to have him out of any kind of brace as soon as possible.

Pictures are nice and everything, but I'm not going to get excited about seeing Teddy this season until a doctor says he's cleared to practice.

Bradford is a good QB and I really like how he played last season behind a putrid line.  So i am torn i would like to see us extend him and have him be a stabilizing factor in this offense.  But Man i just love Teddy, he brought hope and courage and very good leadership and good QB play to this Qb starved team.  I am scared though to put all our eggs in Teddy's basket as his knee might always be an issue.

Quote: @"NoGoingBack" said:
One of the more surprising things I heard from my orthopedist while I was having knee issues (nothing on Teddy's level of course) was that he very much discouraged knee braces. When I went in the first time and told him I was wearing a brace he reacted saying "No no no." And after the meniscus tear surgery braces were not part of post op recovery. I think the thinking these days is that braces discourage the strengthening of the muscles that support the knee, leading to increased and unnecessary stress on the tendons and ligaments.

Anyway, just a laymen's anecdote. But I'm guessing Teddy's doctors are ready to have him out of any kind of brace as soon as possible.

Pictures are nice and everything, but I'm not going to get excited about seeing Teddy this season until a doctor says he's cleared to practice.
Likely a difference of opinion when there are ligaments that need time to heal and strengthen vs some cartilage that gets cleaned out.  It's been a few years but I've had a brace do both of my knees after injury.

Quote: @"NFL Draft Guru" said:
Based on the last tidbit I heard Teddy is still in-line to open the season on the PUP list and continue rehabbing throughout camp, the preseason, and the first 6 weeks of the season. After that there is a very real chance he is fully cleared and becomes the backup QB. In my opinion he likely wouldn't be the #2 on gameday. But he could be used as a long-term fix if Bradford were to suffer a significant injury. 

In the Vikings eyes this is playing out nicely if they can get him cleared around week 6 (that is when he could first be activated). They can watch him on the practice field for nearly 11 weeks with his contract tolling into 2018. It makes the Bradford decision that much easier when you know what you're working with in Bridgewater. 
This scenario seems extremely plausible and realistic, Guru. I'm sure the Vikings would love this to play out exactly this way.

I would say that with so much on the line for the team with that PUP decision, and Bradford being here (for at least 6 weeks into the season, and obviously longer), Teddy showing up ON ROSTER 1st day of training camp... that would be very, very telling in regards to where he is at with the injury. There is no incentive to play him if he isn't prepared physically to go, none. There is a lot of incentive to put a 100% healthy Teddy on the PUP...

I'm leaning towards feeling like... if he shows up day one, why worry about his health? If the Vikes and doctors green light it, with all that PUP incentive, I would get the sense that there is some supreme confidence in his ability to stay healthy behind Bradford. 

Another thing I'm still wondering about from another post the other day, can the Vikes protect Teddy somehow while keeping him active through Camp/Pre-Season? Would they burn a roster spot and some time coddling #5 from getting hurt while taking real reps? Could they roll with 4 QBs through camp and keep Teddy out of pre-season game action? Call Teddy the #3 up til mid-season? Throw Keenum out there in an early season emergency?

... even then, I mean dang... that $1. what, 5? million dollar 5th year deal is so enticing. You can eat that and still "franchise" Bradford if needed. Even if Teddy was 200% healthy... it's enticing.

It would take some un-businesslike morality to let him play, unless they think letting Teddy do what he wants gives them a good-faith "in" on renegotiating that contract up against it's deadline, er something...

Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform (Reserve/PUP)
Players in this category do not count against the 53-man roster limit.

Players in this category are limited to non-contact rehabilitative work under the supervision of the club's trainer or physician, and such player are permitted to attend team meetings and may also attend (but not participate in) practice.

Commencing on the sixth calendar day prior to a club's seventh regular season game (including a bye week) and continuing through the day after the conclusion of the 11th regular season weekend (November 24), clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/PUP for a period not to exceed 21 days.

If the player is not restored to the Active/Inactive List prior to the conclusion of the 21-day period, and the club elects to continue to carry the player on Reserve/PUP, the player shall not be permitted to practice or to participate in team or in during the remainder of the season, including postseason.

Quote: @"NoGoingBack" said:

I can see that from the perspective of using a knee brace for normal activity. But athletic activity seems to be on another level because your are pushing it.