Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case Keenum remains in the present, but quarterback has a rich future
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Randal Cunningham was 35-36 years old in 1998-99. Committing to him wasn't really going to happen. 
..and yet we did. 
Because they thought the next year would be as good as their NFCC game run the year prior. It was a window. Keenum is much younger, so it makes more sense than a small window if they go that way. 

Do you know how almost impossible it is to not have the QB that took you to 15-1 and the doorstep of the Superbowl as the guy the following year? Won't happen. And it won't happen with Keenum if he does the same. Cunningham was dynamic, athletic and had the big arm. Johnson was not any of those things. Its not apples for apples by any stretch. 
Even I said at the time that it was "understandable" given his performance in '98. Sure, give him the starting job, but don't give him a 5 year, 28 million dollar contract and then trade away the other guy. OC leaves for a HC gig and Cunningham is benched 5 games into his shiny new contract. It may not be apples to apples, but it has some distressing similarities. 
Don't misunderstand me, I get what you are saying. I think Keenum's success has put the team in a situation moving forward they never thought they'd be in....I said this in another thread the other day. And its very obvious that Zimmer was super slow to trust Case. And if you put a gun to their collective heads, I think the organization brass STILL doesn't have complete buy in for Keenum. I think they like him a bunch, they like aspects of his game and they mostly love what he's done to get them to 13-3. But IMO, they think that Teddy could be doing this very same thing. I'm not saying I agree necessarily, I'm just saying its my opinion that that is what they feel. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
Randal Cunningham was 35-36 years old in 1998-99. Committing to him wasn't really going to happen. 
..and yet we did. 
Because they thought the next year would be as good as their NFCC game run the year prior. It was a window. Keenum is much younger, so it makes more sense than a small window if they go that way. 

Do you know how almost impossible it is to not have the QB that took you to 15-1 and the doorstep of the Superbowl as the guy the following year? Won't happen. And it won't happen with Keenum if he does the same. Cunningham was dynamic, athletic and had the big arm. Johnson was not any of those things. Its not apples for apples by any stretch. 
Even I said at the time that it was "understandable" given his performance in '98. Sure, give him the starting job, but don't give him a 5 year, 28 million dollar contract and then trade away the other guy. OC leaves for a HC gig and Cunningham is benched 5 games into his shiny new contract. It may not be apples to apples, but it has some distressing similarities. 
Don't misunderstand me, I get what you are saying. I think Keenum's success has put the team in a situation moving forward they never thought they'd be in....I said this in another thread the other day. And its very obvious that Zimmer was super slow to trust Case. And if you put a gun to their collective heads, I think the organization brass STILL doesn't have complete buy in for Keenum. I think they like him a bunch, they like aspects of his game and they mostly love what he's done to get them to 13-3. But IMO, they think that Teddy could be doing this very same thing. I'm not saying I agree necessarily, I'm just saying its my opinion that that is what they feel. 
I agree. There's been nothing obvious spoken from the coaching staff, but it's easy to get that impression by what is unspoken. And who knows? Maybe that lack of buy-in is exactly what is driving Keenum. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
..and yet we did. 

Thats a great and seldom mentioned point.  Case has thrived under Shumar but may lack the skills to do the same under the next guy

Quote: I'm not sure that any of the current QB's is our long term future. Sloter could very well be our future...only time will tell.

case has proven himself a starter.  we will offer him a multi year extension, may or may not be starter money.  thinking 3/30 range.  i believe we also offer Teddy 2 years 25 range. both these could be higher.  its hard not to make solid offers as both these guys are young and both starter quality