Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brutally honest assessment
It's tough because we faced a top 10 defense with a completely reshuffled OL and the weak before we played in horrible field conditions, so while the offense isn't clicking on all cylinders, I don't think we should be panicking. The good news is that we have a 1st round bye, so the OL has time to get healthy and get back on track. Also, even when things weren't going great, the running game was still strong and we were able to get enough out of the passing attack to win. Pair that with an elite defense like we have, and that will still match up well even against teams that are much more balanced than the Bears. It's a strong crop of playoff teams in the NFC, so the Vikings will need to earn their way through each round.

Quote: @Skodin said:
its a combo of bad oline play and shaky QB play. He hasnt looked on a premier level since the Atlanta game. 

enjoy the 13 games we won this year, it is most likely one and done. but the future is bright. 

This team is a QB away from being truly dominant. Should be a destination for any free agent QB
So, he played well in Carolina.  One INT was on him, but was good as a punt.  Diggs caused the other one.   He played in 4 degree weather where no offense was going to do much, but Vikes had plenty to win 16-0.  Today, he had a 101 QB rating and did all he needed to, when he had 4 lineman in new roles.

As Viking fans, we are used to the disappointments of Bud Grant, Jerry Burns, Denny Green, Mike Tice, Brad Childress and more.   But, none of the players on today's roster played for those coaches, and none even remember any fact about those championship run attempts.

It is the fans who assume the worst, but maybe this is the year.  Without Case Keenum playing as he had and freelancing a lot, we'd likely be 8-8, even with this defense.

This is the pros, and all teams are good and can beat another team, even Cleveland.  Games are not college games where a Division 1 team stomps a Division 3 team 77-0.

The Vikings may well go one and out, but it will be because they lost to a good team.  If the Saints, Rams, or Panthers beat us, would that really be a failure?  These are good teams.  Let's just see how it goes before we throw the towel in.

Quote: @Viking1987 said:
The  bears  also  have a fine top 10  defense that came to  play today
Agree.  The Bears D is actually very good against the run and pass. Sure the intensity of the offense was lacking, but they moved the ball on them throughout the entire game.

This Viking team wins with great D and enough offense to force opposing teams to have to get pass happy.  The Bears running game was completely shut down.

As long as we an an above average offense and this smothering defense, I'm not worried about any teams.  I don't see anyone beating us at home.

Brian Robison played for Childress.  

Case continues to do just enough to win but to leave a lot of unanswered questions and a lot of plays unmade.  He was bailed out several times today on back foot floated passes by defenders that didn't get their heads around.  I hope this can continue but I have serious doubts it will against improving  defenses like the saints and panthers.

Quote: @A1Janitor said:
Brian Robison played for Childress.  
Everson did as well.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Case continues to do just enough to win but to leave a lot of unanswered questions and a lot of plays unmade.  He was bailed out several times today on back foot floated passes by defenders that didn't get their heads around.  I hope this can continue but I have serious doubts it will against improving  defenses like the saints and panthers.
The problem is, fans keep waiting for him to fail.   He has played the Panthers and threw for 300 yards.   He had one deep chunk INT early in the game that hurt us, but the second doinked off of Diggs helmet (not Case's fault).  When a guy wins 12 games, I think you have to assume, if he is lucky, he is not lucky just one time.  He does miss things, but remember, the Ravens won the Championship in 2000 with Trent Dilfer as QB, a guy who threw lots of INTs and many passes were short-hopped to receivers.

Defense wins championships, and while Case may ultimately not be able to win it all, we'd be nowhere without him this year.  He's better than people think, because he takes risks - which you have to do in the NFL.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
@pumpf said:
Unless the offense steps up their game, we're done.  Today we saw what happens when the offense can't stay on the field: our defense (which is fast and filled with good tacklers) gets tired and isn't as effective.  A team with a good defense will be able to score vs. our defense (when it gets tired).

Case has not been impressive the last few weeks.  But it's too late to make a change.  So either Shurmur has to step it up and design some more effective plays... or Case has to execute better.
Time of possession had the Vikings at 36 minutes vs the Bears at 24.  Not sure why they should be tired?

That's a good point.  Maybe they weren't tired.  But they sure did seem to let down (for a stretch, anyway) for awhile- that is, until the Bears got in goal-to-go distance.  Then they buckled down.

Quote: @pumpf said:
Unless the offense steps up their game, we're done.  Today we saw what happens when the offense can't stay on the field: our defense (which is fast and filled with good tacklers) gets tired and isn't as effective.  A team with a good defense will be able to score vs. our defense (when it gets tired).

Case has not been impressive the last few weeks.  But it's too late to make a change.  So either Shurmur has to step it up and design some more effective plays... or Case has to execute better.
Once every year (or two) we agree.

I was seriously disappointed today. Unless that offensive line gets fixed and Keenum finds his accuracy he used to have, we'll be one and done. Awful showing today against an awful team. We should be lucky we can rest up.

Too close to the forest to see the trees. I get it, but you're being too critical. I find myself getting stuck in that trap, too. 

But I'm no homer and I've ragged on others for being pollyanna in the past on various things, I think most know this about me. I'm direct. Trust me on this: this team is ready to win it all right now. Will they? Who knows. But this team is going to come back in 2 weeks pretty healthy and play in front of a raucous home crowd: good luck, opponent. 

This team is ready to show up on the big stage.