Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keenum + Sloter for 2018?
Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
I think we sign Bridgewater to a backup contract in the offseason with incentives.  Then sign Case to a ten million plus incentives contract and let them fight it out in camp. 
Oh come on. You don't really think that's going to happen do you? Teddy signs a backup contract and Case gets 10M?

Look, I agree with anyone who says all those things like "if ain't broke, don't fix it," or "ride the hot hand." If I were coach I"d be doing the same thing. But I would also understand that it's far more likely that Bridgewater is the future of this team and not Case Keenum. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:
I think we sign Bridgewater to a backup contract in the offseason with incentives.  Then sign Case to a ten million plus incentives contract and let them fight it out in camp. 
Oh come on. You don't really think that's going to happen do you? Teddy signs a backup contract and Case gets 10M?

Look, I agree with anyone who says all those things like "if ain't broke, don't fix it," or "ride the hot hand." If I were coach I"d be doing the same thing. But I would also understand that it's far more likely that Bridgewater is the future of this team and not Case Keenum. 
There are politics surrounding that as well. Teddy is the ultimate teammate, he shows it all the time and is a natural leader. But do not for one minute think it is a foregone conclusion that he resigns in MN on a team friendly deal if the Vikings don't give him the opportunity to play. Teddy and his representatives could wedge the Vikings into a very uncomfortable spot with the number of QB needy teams in the league. 

There is absolutely 0 chance he resigns on a backup contract. Its more likely the Vikings get backed into a corner and are forced to tag him for $22M. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

There are politics surrounding that as well. Teddy is the ultimate teammate, he shows it all the time and is a natural leader. But do not for one minute think it is a foregone conclusion that he resigns in MN on a team friendly deal if the Vikings don't give him the opportunity to play. Teddy and his representatives could wedge the Vikings into a very uncomfortable spot with the number of QB needy teams in the league. 

There is absolutely 0 chance he resigns on a backup contract. Its more likely the Vikings get backed into a corner and are forced to tag him for $22M. 
Agree. It's becoming a more and more awkward situation. Rather than replace Keenum, I'm beginning to wonder if it might not make sense to put Teddy in for a series or two in the next few games. I know it's not likely, and every coach's nightmare is playing "two" QBs, but at least this way you're not committing to making a change. You're just getting your QB some snaps. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

so my proposal to offer them both similar deals with the winner getting the starter money and the loser getting the QB2 money with an out at the end of the year isnt likely to fly?   :p

seriously though,  question from yesterdays game... on the play where Case did his best Harry Houdini and made the defender miss his and then shook off the tackle from Donald... how the hell was that defender not flagged for slapping Case in the head?  He was still in the pocket,  isnt a blow to the head of a QB about the easiest flag to throw?  There was nobody else around Case to block the view either... that was ridiculous.   No call there and then the bull shit call on Barr when they simply reacted to Goffs head snapping back. ( i will maintain that it was a clean hit until I see a different camera angle that shows that Barr either led with the crown or hit him in the head.)

Are teams seriously going to give Teddy Starter money if he does not play one snap this year?  his knee is a huge question mark right now and the Sam Bradford mystery knee injury will make every team think twice about signing a guy to a Starter contract who has had as devastating a knee injury as Teddy. 

I do get the hometown love an willingness to overpay for him from the Vikings and Zimmer but does anyone seriously think that in the offseason a team will throw 15+ million a year at Teddy?  BTW I love Teddy and I want him to be the franchise QB but I am not sure he warrants a contract that big.

Quote: @"PSBLAKE" said:
Are teams seriously going to give Teddy Starter money if he does not play one snap this year?  his knee is a huge question mark right now and the Sam Bradford mystery knee injury will make every team think twice about signing a guy to a Starter contract who has had as devastating a knee injury as Teddy. 

I do get the hometown love an willingness to overpay for him from the Vikings and Zimmer but does anyone seriously think that in the offseason a team will throw 15+ million a year at Teddy?  BTW I love Teddy and I want him to be the franchise QB but I am not sure he warrants a contract that big.
I think you can only pay Teddy big money if he's proven to you that he isn't affected by the knee, either physically or mentally. And you can't really know that without putting him into a game. One way or another, Teddy has to play. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

so my proposal to offer them both similar deals with the winner getting the starter money and the loser getting the QB2 money with an out at the end of the year isnt likely to fly?   :p

seriously though,  question from yesterdays game... on the play where Case did his best Harry Houdini and made the defender miss his and then shook off the tackle from Donald... how the hell was that defender not flagged for slapping Case in the head?  He was still in the pocket,  isnt a blow to the head of a QB about the easiest flag to throw?  There was nobody else around Case to block the view either... that was ridiculous.   No call there and then the bull shit call on Barr when they simply reacted to Goffs head snapping back. ( i will maintain that it was a clean hit until I see a different camera angle that shows that Barr either led with the crown or hit him in the head.)
I'm curious if that kind of contract deal could be done - where the pay is dependent on winning the starting job. I don't remember anything like that happening, and we see so many guys on the bench still collecting full pay from some big deal they signed that I think there must be some opposition to it. I don't know if that is NFLPA and defined solidly in the contract, or just no agent and player would accept it. They build incentives into contracts all the time, so I think you could do that. It's just odd that I don't remember that happening.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"PSBLAKE" said:

I think you can only pay Teddy big money if he's proven to you that he isn't affected by the knee, either physically or mentally. And you can't really know that without putting him into a game. One way or another, Teddy has to play. 
If Teddy were to somehow get to unrestricted free agency, someone would pay him. I don't think its a huge mystery either. As the team you can protect yourself in a number of different ways (signing bonus, term, salary, roster bonuses, etc..) There are a number of teams that are so desperate for a QB and flush with cap space that risks can be taken. 

In the Vikings shoes you need to be a bit more careful. You can pay a QB, but you need to make sure Teddy is the right option. But that is where it becomes ideal to get him into a game at some point. Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, and Diggs are all going to get substantial raises. You cannot risk losing one of those players, reducing the Vikings margin for error.  

Quote: @"Clanzomaelan" said:
The only thing I can think of that supports the bottom falling out for Keenum is the thought that maybe teams lack film on him? That said, he's 7-2 as the starter. Not sure what film they're lacking. 

Seems a bit fantastical to suggest that we'll see the "real" Keenum, and support it with the fact that Rudy bailed him out on the possible pick. Goff who has been awesome YTD got bailed out by his WR when Harrison nearly picked him. It's something that happens over the course of the game. 

Also, to suggest that Thielen is consistently bailing him out just seems short sighted. Often, Keenum is buying time with his feet, and doing a good job finding the open WR while on the move. Finally, he's actually getting the ball to the WR while on the move. Just not sure what else we expect of him.

I'd think we'd have seen the real Keenum by now. I'm thinking maybe he found a system that works with him.
There's plenty of film on Case, but I have yet to see the Vikings use the same gameplan. Their doing a good job and taking away the defense's strength.

Do the Vikings absolutely need to see him in a game to figure out if they want to resign him? I'm not so sure. Much has been said that if Keenum wasn't doing so well right now... or should I say that if the team wasn't working so well with keenum, that they would put Teddy in. So if that's the case don't you think they might have their decision made one way or the other? WHile they won't know if he will be timid on that knee until he plays an actual game do you think they will see enough in one lousy game? 

I think a lot more is being made of the "Need to see him in a game" than is really truth. If he was head and shoulders above Keenum then wouldn't that warrant him being given a contract regardless if he plays this year or not?