Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brees, Cousins, Draft Pick Or Teddy To QB The Vikings In 2018
I hate Brees. The sheer arrogance he displayed when he demanded that the Commissioner call him to explain his decision regarding Bounty Gate was the final straw.

Every time he gets sacked on Redzone I cheer. Would be impossible for me to root for him.

Hoping between Teddy, Kyle and a 2nd or 3rd Round pick the team will find a long term solution.

Imo, you sign Brees, you have to let 3 studs go, just to pay/fit his bloated salary into the cap.
Mongo no like!  Wink

Quote: @"Scoog" said:
Gotta keep Sloter if he's showing any promise.  In today's NFL, young capable QBs are too valuable to risk losing off the roster.

Agreed.  Some posters say he's the next big thing...others say he's green as a gourd.  If he IS worth keeping, raw or not, we don't need a high draft pick at QB next year.  If he's nothing more than a camp arm, then let's consider the 2018 draft.
But backing up the Brinks truck for an aging veteran scares the Bejesus outta me.  Cousins is far younger, but that would delay any Sloter (or '18 draft pick) development, not to mention the salary hit.

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
@"Scoog" said:
Gotta keep Sloter if he's showing any promise.  In today's NFL, young capable QBs are too valuable to risk losing off the roster.

Agreed.  Some posters say he's the next big thing...others say he's green as a gourd.  If he IS worth keeping, raw or not, we don't need a high draft pick at QB next year.  If he's nothing more than a camp arm, then let's consider the 2018 draft.
But backing up the Brinks truck for an aging veteran scares the Bejesus outta me.  Cousins is far younger, but that would delay any Sloter (or '18 draft pick) development, not to mention the salary hit.

The fans in Denver loved him and supposedly some teams showed interest prior to the trade deadline.

The next 8 to 10 weeks will have a lot to say about that. There are a hundred different scenarios that could play out, but I think it will be Teddy. Sam will retire, and we'll resign Keenum as a backup and keep developing Sloter. 

Quote:
@"MaroonBells" said:
The next 8 to 10 weeks will have a lot to say about that. There are a hundred different scenarios that could play out, but I think it will be Teddy. Sam will retire, and we'll resign Keenum as a backup and keep developing Sloter. 
I dont know that we will be able to afford to resign Keenum.  I see him getting a place holder type contract with one of the teams that goes after a top rookie in the coming draft.  he has proven that he can handle and offense at an above average level, while he isnt what a team ultimately wants in a starting QB,  he should come in and be able to keep the your team respectable while your young stud gets broken.

I think in 2018 we will have the same three types of QBs
that we do this year.  Starting QB,
Veteran Backup, and a developmental guy. 
Either Sloter or a top 2018 draft pick will be the developmental guy.  Bradford is out of the equation with his knee
issue.  I think Bridgewater has the
inside track on the Starting QB spot, but I would certainly take a look at
Brees if he was actually available. 
Cousins, I agree with the posters that said he’ll probably be too
expensive for what he is, but he’s definitely a starting QB.  If you could get Bridgewater for $5M less
than Cousins a year due to his knee, I would take that risk without thinking
about it.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I don't think there is any way Case will be back here as a backup.  After his play so far this year, I bet he will be looking to at least compete for a starting job somewhere and will want a salary to match.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
I don't think there is any way Case will be back here as a backup.  After his play so far this year, I bet he will be looking to at least compete for a starting job somewhere and will want a salary to match.
Wow, I don't see that at all. Guy played two years for the Texans, then part of a year for the Rams, the back to the Texans, then back to the Rams. And nowhere did he ever really compete for a starting job. He was a backup and an injury replacement player. And that's exactly what he is here.

I see him getting a nice little raise because he deserves it, but unless he goes nuts in the next few weeks, I don't see him competing for any starting jobs. And if Sam can't make it back, the Vikings make a lot of sense. 

Like Maroon mentioned above, the next 8 weeks are really going to hint at how the Vikings QB situation is going to play out. Right now there is a lot of obscurity just because we haven't seen Teddy play and there is no timeline on Sam's knee. 

Going into the season I thought Sam had to have have an equally impressive season or improve on his W/L record a year ago to receive a long-term extension. With durability still being a major concern, you cannot lock yourself into Sam for 3+ years. If Sam even wanted to play next year its hard to gauge what a fair contract would be. Could I see the Vikings committing to him on a 2-year deal similar to his extension with the Eagles? Maybe. But that is only if Teddy isn't successful in his return. 

That brings you to Teddy and his own unique contract. Assuming his contract isn't going to toll into 2018, negotiating a contract might be quite hard. Getting him on the field if healthy will help solve what his worth is on the market. It's going to be $10M+ either way but durability still is a concern for the Vikings long-term. Similar to Bradford, how comfortable do you feel locking into Teddy after only seeing him over 1/2 a season? Hard to say. If both sides would compromise, Teddy's 5th year option value would have been $12.2M. Maybe that is where talks can begin.