Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
More McCarthy love.....
Hey!

Shooters coming around lol!

— Vikings training camp begins in two weeks. The way it looks now, it will be a redshirt year for rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy, with Sam Darnold the starter and Nick Mullens the backup. It appears the transition plan will be to turn the starting job over to McCarthy in 2025.

https://www.twincities.com/2024/07/13/ch...potential/

I have mixed emotions about this thread... I love JJM as our QB of the future. The man's a winner! On the flip side, he is like a movie that comes out in 2025. We may get some positive quotes in the media and perhaps a quick view with a few plays in a preseason game but no "movie" until 2025. No need to peak interest early, the time line will not change. JMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IDVikingfan's post:

(07-16-2024, 07:56 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Hey!

Shooters coming around lol!

— Vikings training camp begins in two weeks. The way it looks now, it will be a redshirt year for rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy, with Sam Darnold the starter and Nick Mullens the backup. It appears the transition plan will be to turn the starting job over to McCarthy in 2025.

https://www.twincities.com/2024/07/13/ch...potential/

Shooter's right for maybe the first time ever. Still, there are outsiders who disagree. 

From@LukeEasterling, quoting a rival scout on the #Vikings rookie QB: "McCarthy is a true winner with a live arm and plus mobility...From the impression he’s made at every stage of the draft process, I think McCarthy will be starting by September."

Is it possible McCarthy starts in September? Sure, anything's possible. But here's why I think these outsiders are wrong.

First, they don't know what we know. They likely don't know the Vikings, realizing they would select their QBOTF in the next couple drafts, have been studying young QBs, why they fail and why they succeed, since they took over (don't depreciate the "teams with dirty hands" comment). And, as a result, I think they're convinced of 3 things: 

1. That Darnold was damaged as a result of starting right out of the gate, so they will probably give him more rope than he might deserve before yanking him. And even if he comes out and throws a half dozen picks in the first two games, we'll almost certainly see Nick Mullens instead of JJ McCarthy. 

2. That teams who gave their QBs at least one red shirt year (Chiefs and Packers, in particular) have gotten better results. They tried to move up for a QB last year to give him a year under Cousins. I think they're absolutely adamant about following this model. 

3. They don't know how hugely important the McCarthy pick was for the Vikings franchise. He isn't just the 1st and only QB taken in the top 10 in their 63 year history. His success or failure is tied to the success or failure of the team, the 140 million dollar wide receiver, the coach and the GM. They will do everything in their power, and then some, to put his career on the right path, and nothing at all to put it at risk. 

So "rival scouts," whoever they are, can say all they want, but it's not going to happen.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Does anyone have any evidence one way or another on what KOC or KAM thinks about redshirting JJM or is everyone just giving their gut feel on the matter?

(07-18-2024, 02:48 PM)medaille Wrote: Does anyone have any evidence one way or another on what KOC or KAM thinks about redshirting JJM or is everyone just giving their gut feel on the matter?

Evidence? Like KOC coming out and telling everyone JJ's going to get a red shirt year? Or that JJ will start week one? Or after the bye? Something like that? No. Teams are never that conclusive, and for good reason. 

It's just speculation (on my part anyway) based on what what we know about the complexity of this offense, JJ's youth, what they tried to do last year, what they've said about failed QBs who started too early, what they've said about taking their time with JJ's development, and what they've done in OTAs and minicamp. Actually you can just read my post above. :-)

(07-18-2024, 02:48 PM)medaille Wrote: Does anyone have any evidence one way or another on what KOC or KAM thinks about redshirting JJM or is everyone just giving their gut feel on the matter?

The only 'evidence' we have is KOC saying he's got a plan for JJM and the team will be sticking to this development plan regardless. There are milestones in this plan that JJM will have to hit for the organization to move forward with him as the starter. The insinuation is that will take time....but that's subjective. Its not really anyone on the board this is giving their gut feeling, its more just reposting opinions from the sports media and speculation online.

This 'redshirting' quote is the media being the media. I'm certain KOC nor anyone else in the organization said anything like this. I think Darnold playing well would be a godsend to the long-term success of McCarthy....at least for a substantial part of the season. Nightmare scenario is Sam looking like hot dog shit right out of the gate. 

Rumors continue to get out that JJM is impressing people. Fingers crossed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(07-19-2024, 06:16 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: The only 'evidence' we have is KOC saying he's got a plan for JJM and the team will be sticking to this development plan regardless. There are milestones in this plan that JJM will have to hit for the organization to move forward with him as the starter. The insinuation is that will take time....but that's subjective. Its not really anyone on the board this is giving their gut feeling, its more just reposting opinions from the sports media and speculation online.

This 'redshirting' quote is the media being the media. I'm certain KOC nor anyone else in the organization said anything like this. I think Darnold playing well would be a godsend to the long-term success of McCarthy....at least for a substantial part of the season. Nightmare scenario is Sam looking like hot dog shit right out of the gate. 

Rumors continue to get out that JJM is impressing people. Fingers crossed.

I agree...

Sam Darnold doing well is tailwind for young JJ's career, not headwind.

(07-11-2024, 10:35 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Exactly.  I'm not sure what comet is talking about...  JJ reportedly ran a 4.48 40 yd dash prior to this season, had the highest velocity throw of any QB who threw in this year's combine (1 mph slower than Josh Allen who has a cannon), and had the fastest 3 cone time of any QB at the combine this year.  He's got the arm, the mobility, and all the physical traits you could ask for in today's QB.

McCarthy didn't run the 40-yard dash, citing hamstring tightness, but he had the fastest 3-cone drill time among the four quarterbacks who participated at 6.82 seconds. He was second of four in the 20-yard shuttle.

(07-19-2024, 10:49 AM)Montana Tom Wrote: McCarthy didn't run the 40-yard dash, citing hamstring tightness, but he had the fastest 3-cone drill time among the four quarterbacks who participated at 6.82 seconds. He was second of four in the 20-yard shuttle.

"McCarthy will not run for the 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine due to a hamstring injury but ahead of Michigan's 2023 campaign, he reportedly ran a 4.48"

Running past Blake Corum and blocking for him will show you how fast he is, lol.

Oh boy....

The Purple Persuasion
@TPPSkol
Speaking this morning on the @PowerTripKFAN, #Vikings HC Kevin O’Connell said there WILL BE “competition” between QBs Sam Darnold and J.J. McCarthy ?

[Image: oh-lord-3ix3lnnixxuqr2wt.gif]

(07-19-2024, 06:16 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Nightmare scenario is Sam looking like hot dog shit right out of the gate. 

Shouldn't matter. If Sam sucks early on and the team replaces him, it will most likely be with Mullens. At least for the first part of the season. They will tank the season before throwing JJ into the fire before he's ready.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post: