Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My rookie year predictions for all 6 QBs
(05-21-2024, 08:22 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Me too.  I don't expect Darnold to come in and be Kirk, but if he can keep us competitive and in the hunt so we can let JJ get as much time as he needs...  that's a huge plus.  Maybe he can be our Keenum this year?

I do think Darnold will play decently, but I temper it with his career completion percentage is not good. Its probably the number one reason he's failed. RB Aaron Jones is going to be a huge help to him with dump off passes.

(05-22-2024, 06:27 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I do think Darnold will play decently, but I temper it with his career completion percentage is not good. Its probably the number one reason he's failed. RB Aaron Jones is going to be a huge help to him with dump off passes.

For sure.  We've seen KOC build in those easy completions into his offense, just need a QB who trusts himself to make the right read and throw.  Aaron Jones will definitely give us a more dynamic receiving back we haven't had since Cook was in his prime.  Hopefully Darnold can get his completion percentage to 63+ instead of the career 57-61% he's been.  I think between KOC's offense and the way he builds guys up will give Darnold more confidence and we'll see him play his best football yet.  Just not sure how "good" that will be...
[-] The following 2 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

Lots of unknowns regarding Darnold/McCarthy. First and foremost-- how will both play in training camp, preseason, and then (presumably for Sam) during the regular season?

But one aspect not getting discussed a ton is the Wilfs. I wonder where they stand on all of this. We've heard of meddlesome owners with other franchises for years pushing the new hotness into a starting position earlier than perhaps coaches wanted. I'm not sure the Wilfs will go that far but at least from my perspective, they've always prioritized putting butts in seats and being competitive.

Where we sit today, being competitive seems to mean, "Roll with Darnold". But what if that changes? If Darnold isn't playing well and the team is losing every week, will they be content to ride it out? I have my doubts. And they won't be alone in this either as all of the casual fans and even many diehards are going to want to see JJM get in there.

Should be interesting.

Maybe its just me, but I feel like the Wilfs have been in the background more the last few years vs early on in their ownership. I think they'll let KOC alone to run the QB room the best way he sees fit.

Fans and media are a whole other story. All of the pressure to play JJ in 24 goes away if Darnold ends-up being serviceable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

IMO, best thing that could happen is for JJ to come out in the preseason and not look great, show enough to give the fan base hope for the future, but not enough so that the bleacher creatures are chanting his name the first 3 and out of Darnolds Viking career. I really hope that we dont see him in any meaningful snaps this season.

(05-22-2024, 11:17 AM)pattersaur Wrote: Lots of unknowns regarding Darnold/McCarthy. First and foremost-- how will both play in training camp, preseason, and then (presumably for Sam) during the regular season?

But one aspect not getting discussed a ton is the Wilfs. I wonder where they stand on all of this. We've heard of meddlesome owners with other franchises for years pushing the new hotness into a starting position earlier than perhaps coaches wanted. I'm not sure the Wilfs will go that far but at least from my perspective, they've always prioritized putting butts in seats and being competitive.

Where we sit today, being competitive seems to mean, "Roll with Darnold". But what if that changes? If Darnold isn't playing well and the team is losing every week, will they be content to ride it out? I have my doubts. And they won't be alone in this either as all of the casual fans and even many diehards are going to want to see JJM get in there.

Should be interesting.

The Vikings (owners, gm, coach) should have one and only one priority: developing JJ McCarthy into the best QB he can be in 2025. If that means he sits the whole season, then he should sit the whole season. I don't think record will factor in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(05-22-2024, 01:33 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: The Vikings (owners, gm, coach) should have one and only one priority: developing JJ McCarthy into the best QB he can be in 2025. If that means he sits the whole season, then he should sit the whole season. I don't think record will factor in.

Completely agree that should be priority 1. But is sitting him all year the best way to do that? Time will tell, to a degree.

I do think some are being unrealistic with the "sit him all year" thing though.

Jordan Love was sitting behind the literal MVP.

Mahomes was sitting behind Alex Smith, who had KC in the playoffs.

The list of top 10 QB picks who sat for a full season behind a shaky starter is not long. If Darnold has us in the playoff hunt then absolutely keep him in there and ride that lightning. If not? Everyone is gonna be antsy and JJM is gonna see a lot of time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pattersaur's post:

(05-22-2024, 02:01 PM)pattersaur Wrote: Completely agree that should be priority 1. But is sitting him all year the best way to do that? Time will tell, to a degree.

I do think some are being unrealistic with the "sit him all year" thing though.

Jordan Love was sitting behind the literal MVP.

Mahomes was sitting behind Alex Smith, who had KC in the playoffs.

The list of top 10 QB picks who sat for a full season behind a shaky starter is not long. If Darnold has us in the playoff hunt then absolutely keep him in there and ride that lightning. If not? Everyone is gonna be antsy and JJM is gonna see a lot of time.

It's not as much about who the starter is as it is about the complexity of the offense (very) and the team's philosophy on QB development. And I think the Vikings are going to be extremely patient. 

I think what Kwesi said after the draft is telling: "When we go back over history, we say these quarterbacks that missed, there’s a lot of hands that are dirty in that regard. We’re going to make sure that our hands are clean and give [McCarthy] the best opportunity."

This is the 1st top 10 QB the Vikings have taken in their entire history. The last thing they're going to do is put him in before he's ready. Even if they have to sign a QB off the street to prevent that they will IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

If I believe what they say, W/L record will have no bearing on when JJ sees the field. Thats just made-up pressure from fans/media.

If they are as methodical about rearing a young QB as they were about the draft scenarios, then JJ wont see the field till their key criteria are met. 

Now, that's if I believe them...Which (in May) I am inclined to do.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(05-23-2024, 07:39 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: It's not as much about who the starter is as it is about the complexity of the offense (very) and the team's philosophy on QB development. And I think the Vikings are going to be extremely patient. 

I think what Kwesi said after the draft is telling: "When we go back over history, we say these quarterbacks that missed, there’s a lot of hands that are dirty in that regard. We’re going to make sure that our hands are clean and give [McCarthy] the best opportunity."

This is the 1st top 10 QB the Vikings have taken in their entire history. The last thing they're going to do is put him in before he's ready. Even if they have to sign a QB off the street to prevent that they will IMO.

At the bold- this would be nutso in most scenarios. I suppose if it's the first couple weeks of the season maybe-- as a temporary solution-- but beyond that, come on.

I'm not sure how coddling McCarthy like a baby bird is preferable to letting a football player play football. Just don't agree.

In your scenario where we sign a guy off the street and start him 3 days later: Are we trying to win football games or not? Because to me the guy in house who knows at least some of the offense seems highly preferable to trading picks we don't have for a fill-in or signing a practice squad QB.

Keep in mind as recently as last season this team has prioritized winning games on a week to week basis above all else, including at times common sense.