Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Smoking
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

How long ago did you try rhe signals?  I've had mine a couple years and haven't had an issue except when we changed router locations so it got wonky,  I bought a wifi gizmo to mount outside and that should fix the issue.   We will see.
It's been a few years since I first tried the Signals. If I remember correctly, the Signals only recognizes wifi using 2.4 Ghz, while my wifi was a 5 Ghz I believe. I like the simplicity of the Smoke X, with nothing to set up. The Smoke X cost less too. But I do like that you can adjust temp ranges using your phone with the Signals. You have to use the Smoke X base unit to adjust cooking temp or probe temperature ranges. I've been using the Smoke X along with the Billows for about 5 years or so, many many cooks, and they both are still working fine ... very worth the investment.
https://www.thermoworks.com/smoke-x/

I'm going to have to try those smash burgers soon. Melted cheese, raw onion and mustard for me as well.

I don't think smoking is off topic for football.    Smile
[Image: 1bthvst0tbzy.jpg]

So I'm not a big smoker of meats....but eating them is another story. So when I lived in KC, a neighbor who I was a good buddy with LOVED to smoke meat. Had a really nice smoker, etc. But he never ate what he smoked. Ever. So he'd always invite my wife and I and a few other neighbors in our cul-de-sac over to eat. We'd bring the beer, sides, dessert, etc. I mean this went on almost every weekend from May to like early October. He was part of my home poker group, so we were pretty close. Good dude. 

Now THAT'S how you smoke meat.  :p

Quote: @StickyBun said:
So I'm not a big smoker of meats....but eating them is another story. So when I lived in KC, a neighbor who I was a good buddy with LOVED to smoke meat. Had a really nice smoker, etc. But he never ate what he smoked. Ever. So he'd always invite my wife and I and a few other neighbors in our cul-de-sac over to eat. We'd bring the beer, sides, dessert, etc. I mean this went on almost every weekend from May to like early October. 

I never liked BBQ until I went to Kansas City last fall with my son for a baseball tournament. I think the place we went to was called Slaps. Oh my. 

[Image: aladdin-jasmine.gif]

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
So I'm not a big smoker of meats....but eating them is another story. So when I lived in KC, a neighbor who I was a good buddy with LOVED to smoke meat. Had a really nice smoker, etc. But he never ate what he smoked. Ever. So he'd always invite my wife and I and a few other neighbors in our cul-de-sac over to eat. We'd bring the beer, sides, dessert, etc. I mean this went on almost every weekend from May to like early October. 

I never liked BBQ until I went to Kansas City last fall with my son for a baseball tournament. I think the place we went to was called Slaps. Oh my. 

Yeah, I moved from KC about a year before Slaps came in. I loved Arthur Bryants, Oklahoma Joe's, Gates. A lot more places opened up over the last 11 years since I moved. Strouds used to be an excellent place for fried chicken, etc. but it didn't survive COVID. 

Glad this thread has got some traction! I thought the interest might overlap but it's still fun to see. I'm smoking a whole duck for the first time today. Gonna put it on in an hour or so for an early dinner (hopefully). Quack quack!

[Image: 8ulntvru0f7c.jpg]

Quote: @SouthCarolinaViking said:
[Image: 8ulntvru0f7c.jpg]

JEEZ! Salute!! This guy ain't playing around!

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Anything running on charcoal,  drums, eggs or other ceramics,whatever,  look into this setup,  basically what PF was talking about,  just a little more here.

https://www.thermoworks.com/signals/
Signals is app controlled via wifi and will operate a remote combustion fan, the Billows product that PF mentioned.  It has 4 probes,  1 for the fan and smoke chamber,  and 3 for meat or whatever.   They have adapters to fit various cooker setups.  I also use their thermopens,  I have probably bought close to 10 of them so I have them everywhere and give as gifts.  Get the new thermopoen one,  it's got a backlit display and wakes up with movement , as well as a rotating display.

I still use my UDS , drum smokers, as they always seem to make pretty damn good meat,  but they got even better and easier with the electrics listed above  
We use the Fireboard on our Kamado, which is a similar concept (temp probes and a fan) and it's pretty great.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:

Yeah, I moved from KC about a year before Slaps came in. I loved Arthur Bryants, Oklahoma Joe's, Gates. A lot more places opened up over the last 11 years since I moved. Strouds used to be an excellent place for fried chicken, etc. but it didn't survive COVID. 
My son lived in KC for about 5 years and we'd go there often.  Oklahoma Joe's ribs are frickin' the bomb - love them!  The crown prime rib at Jack Stack's is like nothing I've ever had.  One rib fills you up - it's so delicious my mouth is watering as I type.[Image: AMCP0221.jpg]