Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson released by Broncos
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"JR44" said:
The concern with this move is now there is another team who needs a QB and who could possibly jump us.
That's been there all along regardless of if they kept him or not,  just like if Cousins returned here,  it's only a temporary situation that needed addressing yesterday.

There are so many QB needy teams that IMO the notion of trading down has never seemed realistic to me.  Either go up ans get your guy,  or stay put and take the best available of the "2nd tier guys remaining"  but trading down just seems like it opens up to many more players to the game and they end up at the dance without a date.
But its more than just having a 'date'. You need a date that can win Prom Queen.....otherwise it's just a date. I'm not interested in Minnesota selecting any old QB because they don't want to 'miss out'. If they try to move up, can't, and another guy available at #11 isn't their guy or its just too high (see Ponder) then trade down. 

I see value in any of the top 5 or 6,  I honestly have them ranked all a lot closer than some just because I don't view Daniels Maye and Williams as high as some.   It's 1 first round pick,  you are going to likley over draft a QB no matter where you take him,  so why dick around and risk getting your preferred guy and only gain a day 2 at best pick?  Get your guy early and move onto day 2.  I could see solid arguments for Nix, Penix, and JJ at 11.
You didn't read my post: it has to be somebody they prefer.....not just a warm body. Hence my comment about the Prom Queen meaning we need a guy that can lead the team to the Superbowl, not another Danny Dimes, Justin Fields, Trey Lance, Bryce Young, Baker Mayfield, etc. 
You don't know if you hear the prom queen until a year or so into it though, so don't risk on losing out,  rank your guys and get one when you can vs playing pocket pool with the wall flowers because you thought you could get better value by trading down.  The thinner the pool the higher the likelihood of getting shit,   and I agree with PF,  I don't put Mayfield in that group either. 

Wilson is easily the best bridge option out there for the Vikings. If we allow Cousins to sign elsewhere, $28.5M hits our cap. Wilson's minimal salary requirements would allow the Vikings to absorb that hit in 2024 at roughly $8M more than Cousins cap hit was in 2023.

Obviously, he's not perfect and there's a shit ton wrong with him, not the least of which is his impact on our carefully crafted culture. But all the perfect options are unavailable, and Wilson is the only QB out there who would legitimately give the Vikings a chance to remain competitive while they onboard a new QB by giving the Vikings the financial headroom to add tier-1 free agents to his surround.  

After the top four, don’t waste a draft on pick on QB.  Statistics show that the odds drop WAY down when you start looking for that franchise QB in the left overs.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Wilson is easily the best bridge option out there for the Vikings. If we allow Cousins to sign elsewhere, $28.5M hits our cap. Wilson's minimal salary requirements would allow the Vikings to absorb that hit in 2024 at roughly $8M more than Cousins cap hit was in 2023.

Obviously, he's not perfect and there's a shit ton wrong with him, not the least of which is his impact on our carefully crafted culture. But all the perfect options are unavailable, and Wilson is the only QB out there who would legitimately give the Vikings a chance to remain competitive while they onboard a new QB by giving the Vikings the financial headroom to add tier-1 free agents to his surround.  
I agree Wilson would be better than Dobbs or Hall, but maybe not Mullens.  Mayfield would be much better than Wilson.  Wilson isn't good anymore, and a desparate QB needy team like Denver just kicked him off the team.  That to me is the huge red flag.

Quote: @"HappyViking" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I agree Wilson would be better than Dobbs or Hall, but maybe not Mullens.  Mayfield would be much better than Wilson.  Wilson isn't good anymore, and a desparate QB needy team like Denver just kicked him off the team.  That to me is the huge red flag.
Mayfield is projected to get $27M AAV. This would sit on top of Cousins cap hit. So roughly a $55M cap hit. And Mayfield is going to want (and likely get) a multi-year deal from someone. If the Vikings were prepared to offer anyone a multi-year deal, they would just re-sign Cousins at half the cap hit. 

The only way I could see this happening is if Baker would be willing to accept a one-year, prove-it deal playing with JJ, et al. As tempting as that might be for him, he's far more likely to take the longer term. 

Russ believes he's a starter not a bridge.  He'll go where a team believes the same.  I'm not saying it's true, just that the belief will drive things.  Raiders, Steelers, maybe Falcons if they can't acquire Kirk.

@"HappyViking" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Mayfield is projected to get $27M AAV. This would sit on top of Cousins cap hit. So roughly a $55M cap hit. And Mayfield is going to want (and likely get) a multi-year deal from someone. If the Vikings were prepared to offer anyone a multi-year deal, they would just re-sign Cousins at half the cap hit. 

The only way I could see this happening is if Baker would be willing to accept a one-year, prove-it deal playing with JJ, et al. As tempting as that might be for him, he's far more likely to take the longer term. 
The $27M or $55M cap hit would still be bargain compared to a Cousins contract.  I think if the Vikes have to shop for FA tier two QBs, there are way better options than Wilson.  I don't think he's very good anymore as a player, and his character issues in the locker room could really be a problem for team moral as well.

@"HappyViking" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

At this point he's a proven lower tier starter who could just take decent $ to stay in Tampa.  I can't see him leaving to be a bridge. 

A bridge doesn't get big money with guarantees and promises to start.  He just gets a chance to earn some NFL coin while he waits a year or two for the drafted guy to step up.  It's a glorified backup position which I can't see Mayfield going for, given where he is already at.

@"HappyViking" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Baker took the one year prove it deal last year, and proved it. He's not taking another one.

I agree with you that Russell Wilson is far and away the best bridge option if Kirk walks. However, I think him coming here is unlikely. He doesn't want to be a bridge QB just like Kirk doesn't. He could go to Pittsburgh (or possibly WAS, NE) and be the locked in starter for multiple years. If the Vikings wanted that they'd give it to Kirk or Baker before Russ I think. We need to draft a QB early and badly. If this costs us multiple first round picks then does it really do the Vikings much good to try and make a run in 2024 with Russ or whoever? Getting Kirk's dead money off the books, getting the guaranteed money for guys like JJ and possibly Hunter or another impact defensive player out of the way, and resetting while preparing to make a big run in 2025 might be more prudent.

100%. On a bad Broncos team last season he still accounted for 29 TD's, over 3,000 yards passing with an almost 67% completion percentage. It really doesn't get much better than that for a bridge QB and with the money saved on his salary, it would certainly open up more doors for us. I'd also say this offense suits what he does best very well.