Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So are we all in agreement now?
Purdy is fine but ultimately the QB who played better on that day won the game. You can look at the entire playoffs this year. The QB who plays the best wins the game about 90% of the time. There are exceptions but it's a strong enough correlation to be a signal to teams without an elite QB that they need to get one.
We can dissect playcalling and lucky bounces and bad breaks all we want but if you look at the playoff stat sheet there's one thing that stands out: the best QB on that day wins.

There are QBs that play in the Superbowl and then there are QBs that can only dream of playing in the Superbowl.

Quote: @JR44 said:
I think he played a great game and the moment was definitely not too big for him and do agree they look to be set with him.

What I came away with from that game is that there is Patrick Mahomes and then the next tier is well below that.  I felt like I was watching Michael Jordan during his run with the Bulls, he is just at another level.  They don't have a WR that would crack our top 2 and their RB is a nice 3rd down back, he has an all pro TE, but not a lot of other weapons.  Put him on any other team and he instantly makes them a contender.  
Yea, reminds me of Brady with Gronk and Bellycheat.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@JR44 said:
I think he played a great game and the moment was definitely not too big for him and do agree they look to be set with him.

What I came away with from that game is that there is Patrick Mahomes and then the next tier is well below that.  I felt like I was watching Michael Jordan during his run with the Bulls, he is just at another level.  They don't have a WR that would crack our top 2 and their RB is a nice 3rd down back, he has an all pro TE, but not a lot of other weapons.  Put him on any other team and he instantly makes them a contender.  
Yea, reminds me of Brady with Gronk and Bellycheat.
You forgot that KC has a defense.

Purdy is a good QB who typically won’t hurt you. That’s worth a lot in the NFL. Is he elite? I don’t see that, but then again few are. 

I disagree with many on Mahomes in this game. The Chiefs defense was the difference maker. Mahomes terrible interception early should have ended in 7 points if the 49ers didn’t shoot themselves in the foot (ehich they continuously did all game long btw). 

On the long pass by Mahomes, he skipped over a wide open Kelce to throw into double coverage. I don’t know what happened to the safety, but for whatever reason he evidently couldn’t find the football. If I was still his age, I pick that pass off consistently. It was a poor decision that luckily worked out ok. 

Overall, Mahomes play was not great in this game and he definitely didn’t earn MVP honors. Pat Mahomes is a special player and usually far better than he was in this game. When the 49ers took away his outside scramble and made him stay in the pocket, it made a difference.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@bigbone62 said:
@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
I don't know that I buy into him being an upper echelon quarterback yet, but he is surrounded by amazing talent and runs the system well. If he and Mahomes switched teams, Mahomes would absolutely be the goat and Purdy would be Kenny Pickett . I think that's more of who he really is as a QB..
The surrounding talent is very good. But he also left the field with his team leading more than once last night and thats a good Chiefs D. 

I give him more credit than just driving the Ferrari well. He makes some very good, NFL throws.  I think they are set with him for a while - even with contract #2 is settled. 
That 49ers offense is the best collective unit in football. Their offensive line was better the last couple years, but overall they are still very good. Best back in football, best left tackle in football, best trio of receivers in football, best FB in football, oh and Kittle is pretty good too. 

Just goes to show how good Mahomes is throwing to guys like Rice, Valdez-Scandling, and an underwhelming collective group. Offensive line took a major step back this year and Mahones was still able to turn it into a productive unit and took them the distance. Just goes to show, a franchise quarterback is the deodorant that covers up a lot of stink 
No doubt - look at all the warts Rogers covered-up all those years in GB. 

Did you know the Chiefs didnt have a 1000 yd WR this season? 

Back to Purdy, I can understand the argument of being content with Purdy @ QB if I was a 49'er fan. He's young and probably has some decent growth ahead of him @ QB.

They dont need elite to do well as a team, as your post (and this year underscores.) 

so,  with all that talent around him,  when the time comes do you look for the next game manager or do you pay him going QB rate and then start shedding talent at other positions?  This I think is the issue that gets many teams in trouble,  they look at good ( not great ) QBs and pay them top money because they had been successful driving the lambo,  but then find out it was mostly the car,  not the driver.
The team needs to have a good handle on what can the qb do in a given surround...IF Ayuk and Deebo leave and Purdy is left with Valdez Scandling and Joe Schmo at WR? The 49'ers need to know if Purdy can succeed with that or not - b4 it happens. 

I am not contending Purdy is elite. I am contending he is very good and that with the team they have, I would be fine with Purdy @ QB if I was a fan of the team. 
I'd rather have Purdy than Cousins for sure.  Especially when you think how good Purdy is already.  Cousins was nowhere near that good in his second season in the NFL.

Breaking news, a second year QB on what was the second worst team in the NFL with a talent starved roster doesn't look as good as a second year QB on a historically stacked team that had the second best record. It's almost as if you can find a direct correlation between a teams talent, how a QB looks and how the team performs.
Cousins wasn't even considered good enough to start on a crappy team until his 4th season.  Kirk is a good QB, but Purdy right now is already just as productive as the veteran KC. 
I'm not knocking Cousins, but Purdy is a very good QB.  If that 49er kicker doesn't get that XP blocked, it very well could've been Purdy holding up the Lombardi Trophy, not Mahomes.  Kirk in year two was nowhere near ready to lead any team to the playoffs, let alone take them to a SB.

Was it that KC wasn't good enough to play.  Or, maybe it had to do with the fact that Washington traded the 6th, 22nd, 2nd and 39th overall picks spanning three drafts for RG III. RG III who broke multiple rookie QB records, made the PB, was offensive rookie of the year and was hyped by everyone as the next big thing. Case in point after his rookie year he was ranked 15 on NFL Networks top 100 players as voted on by their peers. 

Throw in the most meddling owner in the NFL at the time pushing the  FO and coaching staff to stick with RG III through constant injuries  and your theory doesn't seem to hold much water. Too put it in perspective. Using your logic you would have to say that if Lance had the season RG III did his rookie year after SF spent all that draft capital to get him. That Purdy would have still unseated him. Do you honestly believe a successful Lance would have been unseated by Purdy?

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@HappyViking said:
@bigbone62 said:
@HappyViking said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@supafreak84 said:
I don't know that I buy into him being an upper echelon quarterback yet, but he is surrounded by amazing talent and runs the system well. If he and Mahomes switched teams, Mahomes would absolutely be the goat and Purdy would be Kenny Pickett . I think that's more of who he really is as a QB..
The surrounding talent is very good. But he also left the field with his team leading more than once last night and thats a good Chiefs D. 

I give him more credit than just driving the Ferrari well. He makes some very good, NFL throws.  I think they are set with him for a while - even with contract #2 is settled. 
That 49ers offense is the best collective unit in football. Their offensive line was better the last couple years, but overall they are still very good. Best back in football, best left tackle in football, best trio of receivers in football, best FB in football, oh and Kittle is pretty good too. 

Just goes to show how good Mahomes is throwing to guys like Rice, Valdez-Scandling, and an underwhelming collective group. Offensive line took a major step back this year and Mahones was still able to turn it into a productive unit and took them the distance. Just goes to show, a franchise quarterback is the deodorant that covers up a lot of stink 
No doubt - look at all the warts Rogers covered-up all those years in GB. 

Did you know the Chiefs didnt have a 1000 yd WR this season? 

Back to Purdy, I can understand the argument of being content with Purdy @ QB if I was a 49'er fan. He's young and probably has some decent growth ahead of him @ QB.

They dont need elite to do well as a team, as your post (and this year underscores.) 

so,  with all that talent around him,  when the time comes do you look for the next game manager or do you pay him going QB rate and then start shedding talent at other positions?  This I think is the issue that gets many teams in trouble,  they look at good ( not great ) QBs and pay them top money because they had been successful driving the lambo,  but then find out it was mostly the car,  not the driver.
The team needs to have a good handle on what can the qb do in a given surround...IF Ayuk and Deebo leave and Purdy is left with Valdez Scandling and Joe Schmo at WR? The 49'ers need to know if Purdy can succeed with that or not - b4 it happens. 

I am not contending Purdy is elite. I am contending he is very good and that with the team they have, I would be fine with Purdy @ QB if I was a fan of the team. 
I'd rather have Purdy than Cousins for sure.  Especially when you think how good Purdy is already.  Cousins was nowhere near that good in his second season in the NFL.

Breaking news, a second year QB on what was the second worst team in the NFL with a talent starved roster doesn't look as good as a second year QB on a historically stacked team that had the second best record. It's almost as if you can find a direct correlation between a teams talent, how a QB looks and how the team performs.
Cousins wasn't even considered good enough to start on a crappy team until his 4th season.  Kirk is a good QB, but Purdy right now is already just as productive as the veteran KC. 
I'm not knocking Cousins, but Purdy is a very good QB.  If that 49er kicker doesn't get that XP blocked, it very well could've been Purdy holding up the Lombardi Trophy, not Mahomes.  Kirk in year two was nowhere near ready to lead any team to the playoffs, let alone take them to a SB.

Was it that KC wasn't good enough to play.  Or, maybe it had to do with the fact that Washington traded the 6th, 22nd, 2nd and 39th overall picks spanning three drafts for RG III. RG III who broke multiple rookie QB records, made the PB, was offensive rookie of the year and was hyped by everyone as the next big thing. Case in point after his rookie year he was ranked 15 on NFL Networks top 100 players as voted on by their peers. 

Throw in the most meddling owner in the NFL at the time pushing the  FO and coaching staff to stick with RG III through constant injuries  and your theory doesn't seem to hold much water. Too put it in perspective. Using your logic you would have to say that if Lance had the season RG III did his rookie year after SF spent all that draft capital to get him. That Purdy would have still unseated him. Do you honestly believe a successful Lance would have been unseated by Purdy?
 No, I don't believe Purdy would be playing if Lance had a good first and second season like RG did.  When I think about it, Purdy got the chance to play because Lance couldn't get the job done in a very similar way Cousins got the job because RG III couldn't.  It just happened sooner with Purdy.I watched Washington play when Cousins was there and I never thought he was anything to worry about.  He could make some nice throws, but you knew the panic "pick" was going to happen.  I'd say there was a 50/50 split among Washington fans that wanted him gone or wanted him to stay when he came to the Vikes.I think if Purdy left the 49ers, a vast majority of San Fran fans (if not all) would be upset.  Obviously, there's no way of proving if KC could've led a team to the playoffs and SB in his first two seasons, but to me in years 3 and 4 starter, he still looked like a very average starting QB.I do think Kirk has improved every season as a QB since coming to the Vikes, and is very good.  I just think Purdy is about as good as Kirk is now, and way better than what Kirk was when he first became a starter.
That KC defense is tough, and Purdy left the field in OT with the 49ers in the lead.  I was very impressed with Purdy.