Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings now with an 83% chance to make playoffs
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
"All of a sudden, Minnesota owns a two-game grip on the NFC’s final wild-card spot. And when you remember that Justin Jefferson has missed most of this improbable win streak, it’s easy to get excited about this story. Worry about the future later; what’s happening with Josh Dobbs and everyone else is simply too fun."  -FoxSports.com
Would the excitement level be the same if Cousins was still the QB?  Or is the added element of mobility from the QB spot to the offense the spark that has rejuvenated the fans?  

Most fans predicted a winning record through this streak of games ( not perfection,  but winning )  but I dont think many saw the possibility of making a real run until Dobbs started running.
I do think there would be a buzz about the team if Cousins
was the QB through this run, but I think it’s less about the running and more
about the improbability of winning and the newness of things.  When guy comes in cold and wins you two games
without really knowing the offense, there’s some air of magic about that, and
while Cousins play is probably fairly predictable, this is new and somewhat
unpredictable.

Fans would still be excited with wins and Kirko Chainz has new fan equity the last year or so under KOC. But some younger fans like their style points and the Passtronaut is delivering that in spades more than Cousins ever could or would. As you mention, the unpredictability of Dobbs could leave everyone cold at some point. Cousins is a known, highly productive quantity. 
How many more sacks would Cousins have taken the last couple weeks often resulting in stalled drives,  vs how many more passes would he have completed to keep the chains moving?  I dont know but I feel the added mobility to the QB spot is a bigger asset than a better arm down field.  It will take a few more weeks before its worth trying ro compare any drive and game stats to get a feeling of what suits KOCs offense better,  but the more I see with Dobbs,  the more I tend ro think KCs run here is likely over., unless we see a 180 turn around with 3 and outs,  sacks and turnovers,   the O staying on the field is what most fans want to see.   Time will tell though. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
"All of a sudden, Minnesota owns a two-game grip on the NFC’s final wild-card spot. And when you remember that Justin Jefferson has missed most of this improbable win streak, it’s easy to get excited about this story. Worry about the future later; what’s happening with Josh Dobbs and everyone else is simply too fun."  -FoxSports.com
Would the excitement level be the same if Cousins was still the QB?  Or is the added element of mobility from the QB spot to the offense the spark that has rejuvenated the fans?  

Most fans predicted a winning record through this streak of games ( not perfection,  but winning )  but I dont think many saw the possibility of making a real run until Dobbs started running.
about the improbability of winning and the newness of things.  When guy comes in cold and wins you two games
unpredictable.

Fans would still be excited with wins and Kirko Chainz has new fan equity the last year or so under KOC. But some younger fans like their style points and the Passtronaut is delivering that in spades more than Cousins ever could or would. As you mention, the unpredictability of Dobbs could leave everyone cold at some point. Cousins is a known, highly productive quantity. 
How many more sacks would Cousins have taken the last couple weeks often resulting in stalled drives,  vs how many more passes would he have completed to keep the chains moving?  I dont know but I feel the added mobility to the QB spot is a bigger asset than a better arm down field.  It will take a few more weeks before its worth trying ro compare any drive and game stats to get a feeling of what suits KOCs offense better,  but the more I see with Dobbs,  the more I tend ro think KCs run here is likely over., unless we see a 180 turn around with 3 and outs,  sacks and turnovers,   the O staying on the field is what most fans want to see.   Time will tell though. 
Part of me agrees hard with this. You might turn out to be right. Its shocking after getting so used to Cousins being a statue to watching Dobbs. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

unpredictable.

Part of me agrees hard with this. You might turn out to be right. Its shocking after getting so used to Cousins being a statue to watching Dobbs. 
I've been saying for several years that his lack of mobility is what is holding back our O and making our OL look worse than they are,  hope I'm right,  not sure how much more crow I can stomach,  the taste definitely doesn't grow on a person.

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

unpredictable.

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

unpredictable.

I've been saying for several years that his lack of mobility is what is holding back our O and making our OL look worse than they are,  hope I'm right,  not sure how much more crow I can stomach,  the taste definitely doesn't grow on a person.
It's nothing short of whiplash watching KC to Dobbs...

But someone is eventually going to figure out how to make Dobbs beat them with his arm and I dont know if he can do that consistently or not. I suspect not given he's on his 7th team. 

Payton is a good coach and their D is getting better, lets see if he lays a blue-print out or not. Big game Sunday night!! 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

unpredictable.

Yes, Dobbs can run. But let's not pretend he's anywhere near the QB that KC is. Or that the team will be better off with Dobbs in the playoffs than they would've been with Cousins. That's a narrative I thought we'd start to see creep in as we stack a few dubs together, but it's utterly nutso. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

unpredictable.

Yes, Dobbs can run. But let's not pretend he's anywhere near the QB that KC is. Or that the team will be better off with Dobbs in the playoffs than they would've been with Cousins. That's a narrative I thought we'd start to see creep in as we stack a few dubs together, but it's utterly nutso. 
Don't disagree with this take, either. I actually lean toward this much more, but like I said: a part of me agrees with what jimmy said as well. Dobbs certainly has us all spinning a bit, some more than others. Food for thought. 

I think it’s obvious, but we’re not at steady state with
Dobbs yet.  He hasn’t had enough time to
have a full grasp on things.  KOC hasn’t
fully built an offense around him yet.  Our
weapons have been limited due to injuries. 
Defenses haven’t really put together the puzzle on how to defend our
offense with Dobbs as the QB, and we really haven’t faced strong competition
yet.  I think we would have equally as
easily won against the Falcons and Saints with Cousins at QB as we did with
Dobbs.  The downside of Dobbs has been
braindead turnovers, and while he’s been good with the ball, maybe those
downsides show up when the game is tougher and more pressure is put on
him. 

The question on Dobbs vs Cousins, I think has to be framed
in terms of performance per dollar.  I
think if you can get Dobbs for $20M and Cousins is asking $35M, you do Dobbs
every single time.  If Dobbs and Cousins
cost the same, then the question is a lot tougher to answer.  That said, I think a QB that is pass first
but with dangerous athleticism, and is a competent QB through the air stresses defenses
in a way that a pure pocket QB cannot and that multiplicity has a lot of value.  The outstanding question is why Dobbs has
floated from team to team.  If you
combine strong intellect with great physical traits, why has he failed to catch
on and keep a roster spot?  I don’t think
the “Other teams are dumb” argument is really that compelling.

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

unpredictable.

I believe that KOC's first choice is Cousins. By probably a wide margin. But it validates his inner thought that the QBOTF needs to have mobility as part of his skill set. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

unpredictable.

Don't disagree with this take, either. I actually lean toward this much more, but like I said: a part of me agrees with what jimmy said as well. Dobbs certainly has us all spinning a bit, some more than others. Food for thought. 
I agree with Jimmy that Dobbs brings a dimension to this offense that makes it hard to defend. It's a dimension I think KOC has always wanted and intended to add in the draft this spring. 

But I think we all need to take a step back, take a breath, and realize that defenses don't have film of Dobbs running this particular offense. I don't want to take anything way from him, because he's been sensational. But he's benefitting from that to a certain degree. It could last a few more games; it could last the rest of the season. We've seen it happen.

But at some point defenses are going to put two and two together and make things a little more difficult. There are now a dozen or more mobile/running QBs in the NFL and it's not like defenses never figure them out.

If the Vikings want to prevent this, or at least hold it off longer, they need to be as dynamic and unpredictable on offense as possible. The wildcat snap to Chandler is a great example. Running the ball more effectively would help as well. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

unpredictable.

I believe that KOC's first choice is Cousins. By probably a wide margin. But it validates his inner thought that the QBOTF needs to have mobility as part of his skill set. 
I think that margin breadth could change greatly over the next couple months.  If KOC can continue to scheme the mobility into the game,  and Dobbs can make enough plays with his arm to keep JJ, KJ, TJ, and Addison involved,  the offense changes in a way that even Cousins superior arm talent likely cant equal.  And like others have said,  what can an extra 15 million a year do for KOCs roster overall,  yes he is an offensive guy,  but he is still the HC and has to be able to identify areas of need and recognize what that cap space could mean going forward.  

A few bad games by Dobbs could certainly reverse course,  but IMO the ship is currently sailing away from Kirk Cousins returning in 24.