Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Way way to early on Dobbs
Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@Skodin said:
@CFIAvike said:
Dobbs may very well be Keenum 2.0 this year.  A guy who's historically not that great that catches lightning in a bottle and plays way above his level for a time   
Or he might be a pretty good QB with the right team around him and the right coaches.  He's also cheaper than the immobile pocket passer so he gives you flexibility to draft a QB if you want.   Pretty good place for this team to be.
I guess we'll see, but his entire history in the NFL leans to my theory. And if he IS that great , what makes you think he's not gonna take this front office to the cleaners when they have to try to re-sign him next year.  If he really is THAT good he's gonna demand to be paid more than the 15th highest paid QB in the NFL.
Then you likely let him go,  he was supposed to be a rental,  the plan has been to draft our QBOTF and that should still be the plan.  If he continues to play well and wants the chance to stick around and compete for the starting job against Hall and the rookie,  and is willing to sign for modest starter money,  then you do it.  Either way the team needs to stay focused on the future and the cap savings that come from moving off the 40+ million dollar contacts that keep strangling the cap. 

Odds are Dobbs will come back to earth and will not be demanding top tier money,  until then we can just enjoy seeing what our O has been missing and where that might take us.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@Skodin said:
@CFIAvike said:
Dobbs may very well be Keenum 2.0 this year.  A guy who's historically not that great that catches lightning in a bottle and plays way above his level for a time   
Or he might be a pretty good QB with the right team around him and the right coaches.  He's also cheaper than the immobile pocket passer so he gives you flexibility to draft a QB if you want.   Pretty good place for this team to be.
I guess we'll see, but his entire history in the NFL leans to my theory. And if he IS that great , what makes you think he's not gonna take this front office to the cleaners when they have to try to re-sign him next year.  If he really is THAT good he's gonna demand to be paid more than the 15th highest paid QB in the NFL.
Then you likely let him go,  he was supposed to be a rental,  the plan has been to draft our QBOTF and that should still be the plan.  If he continues to play well and wants the chance to stick around and compete for the starting job against Hall and the rookie,  and is willing to sign for modest starter money,  then you do it.  Either way the team needs to stay focused on the future and the cap savings that come from moving off the 40+ million dollar contacts that keep strangling the cap. 

Odds are Dobbs will come back to earth and will not be demanding top tier money,  until then we can just enjoy seeing what our O has been missing and where that might take us.
Good take. Lots of options for Minnesota here, all good. If he implodes, see ya Josh, thanks for the memories. Great rental. If it turns out to be more, which the odds say it won't, but if it does, even better. More options because there's no guarantees the Vikings will be able to maneuver for who they want in the Draft for TQBOTF. And even if they do get the guy they want, they can decide who plays for one year as the starter. 

Fans: just enjoy it. Nobody is really crowning him, but he sure as hell is playing very well right now. Its fun to watch. From what I could hear on TV yesterday and read this morning, the crowd was losing their shit for him. He had them eating out of his hand. Let's see if they can sneak into the playoffs and make this year even more fun. Enjoy the wave while it lasts. Dobbs threw to his WRers in practice for the first time last week, lol. How about we say not too shabby at a minimum?

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
Definitely getting Keenum 2017 vibes from Dobbs...  I don't think Dobbs will prevent us from getting a QBotF or re-signing Cousins in the off-season (or both).  But he we gotta enjoy this ride and see where it goes! 

The good with Dobbs:
  • We are very competitive and in play for a playoff spot.
  • there is alot of excitement in the fanbase
  • As of today we have all the leverage with Kirk. If Dobbs continues to play well we can call Kirk’s bluff.  This yo me is the biggest win.
  • We have a chance to sign him long term if we so choose because we not only have a tear to evaluate him, but also see him in our system
  • Jaren continues to develop (he shoukd be back up when cleared in my opinion because we need to see what he has if an opportunity presents itself)
  • i think and may be wrong but an install  from Dobbs to Jaren is easier that Kirk to Jaren
The bad:
The only downside is we dont get a shot at the perceived top QBs. However with the current track record on identifying talent on offense I am starting to be OK with this.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@CFIAvike said:
Definitely getting Keenum 2017 vibes from Dobbs...  I don't think Dobbs will prevent us from getting a QBotF or re-signing Cousins in the off-season (or both).  But he we gotta enjoy this ride and see where it goes! 
We'll see for sure!  If Dobbs keeps the starting job the rest of the season by making big plays and leading the offense, I actually believe the Vikes will move on from the expensive, aging KC.  That's a big "If" that Dobbs keeps playing well, but we're going to find out.

[Image: F-0UhRUXEAA1pK-?format=jpg&name=900x900]

Quote: @mblack said:
The good with Dobbs:
  • As of today we have all the leverage with Kirk. If Dobbs continues to play well we can call Kirk’s bluff.  This yo me is the biggest win.
  • We have a chance to sign him long term if we so choose because we not only have a tear to evaluate him, but also see him in our system
  • Jaren continues to develop (he shoukd be back up when cleared in my opinion because we need to see what he has if an opportunity presents itself)
  • i think and may be wrong but an install  from Dobbs to Jaren is easier that Kirk to Jaren
The bad:
The only downside is we dont get a shot at the perceived top QBs. However with the current track record on identifying talent on offense I am starting to be OK with this.

For good or for bad the Vikings have played themselves out of getting a top QB prospect.  McCarthy is going to be long gone by the time the Vikings draft in the higher teens/lower 20s.  So do you package 2x 1sts and move up for a QBotF?  There's a bunch of teams that need to draft a QB.  Chicago, Green Bay, New York x2, New England, Denver and I'm sure a bunch more that will be picking long before we do.  It would need to be a competitive offer to move in front of that many teams.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@mblack said:
The good with Dobbs:
The bad:

For good or for bad the Vikings have played themselves out of getting a top QB prospect.  McCarthy is going to be long gone by the time the Vikings draft in the higher teens/lower 20s.  So do you package 2x 1sts and move up for a QBotF?  There's a bunch of teams that need to draft a QB.  Chicago, Green Bay, New York x2, New England, Denver and I'm sure a bunch more that will be picking long before we do.  It would need to be a competitive offer to move in front of that many teams.
You just can't worry about that at this point. That ship has sailed. Vikings have firmly placed themselves in the wildcard playoff picture now and they are going for it. You have to hope that they really like another QB that is Tier 2 and they can obtain in the Draft. As mentioned, its a very deep QB Draft. Somebody outside the top 3 QBs is going to hit. Maybe more than one.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@mblack said:
The good with Dobbs:
The bad:

Thats the QB I want. But again I wanted Mac Jones

there is no reason the Vikings can't be like the Chiefs -- have their cake and eat it too re: QBOTF

As others have said, enjoy the season - it appeared dead just 14 days ago. 

The draft will take care of itself.