Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dobbs definitely starter for next week!
Quote: @Tyr said:
Dobbs showed some guts today. He started off rough, but he made some incredible plays with his legs and some good throws when he needed to. The fumbles and safety were bad, but the OL was not doing him any favors today and losing Osborn and Akers didn't make his job any easier. I'm curious to see what he can do with more time to learn the offense and getting some players like Darrisaw and Jefferson back.

As for Hall, I thought he looked good. He was dealing with the same OL issues, but he made some nice throws, showed some mobility, and deserves a longer look.

It's way too early to say if either QB is more than a stopgap for this year, but it makes me feel better about their ability to identify and develop QBs. Previous regimes would draft and bring in backups who weren't capable of playing. Maybe they would protect the ball, but does that matter if all they can do is check down? At least O'Connell and his staff had Hall and Dobbs ready to play and adjusted on the fly.
You mean instead of this?

[Image: ponder-freeman-vikings-starter1.jpg]

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I was thinking Joe Webb today after Hall went down. 
For me, the running of Joe Webb, escapability and playmaking of Case Keenum, and perhaps during the last drive, the poise and demeanor of maybe Brad Johnson/Warren Moon.

Dobbs has to start.  For the sake of Hall.  Hall's brain might not be ready and if he was to start and struggle, the home crowd would be chanting for Dobbs.

That's unfair for everyone.

there is no way Hall starts next week, Hall probably would not attempt some of the throws Dobbs made today.

Quote: @JR44 said:
@rf54 said:
@JR44 said:
If Hall can play, I think Hall is the right choice to go forward.  He looked really good when he was in there and think he has the highest ceiling and our best shot going forward.  Dobbs was able to get it done when we needed it, but he was also a big reason why we got in a hole.
No, he doesn't make some of those vet throws and the experience to make plays on the run.  Dobbs will get the nod.
He has barely played the equivalent of one NFL season in 5 years in the league he is on his 4th team in 5 years and was traded by one of the worst teams in the league for a bag of beans, so let's not pretend he is some veteran starter.  Hall has taken more football snaps over the past 4 years so   

Dobbs has been starting in the NFL, Hall was playing at BYU.  Not even in the same zip code.

I agree Dobbs will definitely start. Hall has a concussion for gods sake. They are not going to rush him back and Dobbs’ play means they don’t have to. I don’t understand anyone quibbling about Dobbs’ performance. Can you imagine stepping in at a moments notice and trying to run an offense you don’t know? With people whose names you haven’t even learned yet? I defy any QB to do better under those circumstances. As Ben Leber said, his performance was “heroic.” It was an amazing game all the way around. When it looked like the Falcons were going to run away with the game, with the ball first and goal at the one, our defense made 4 stops. When KJ went down, every single Viking physically touched him and let him know they had his back. It was an incredible team win. Hell, KOC gave a game ball to the ENTIRE TEAM! That was a game I will remember for a long time, with gutsy performances from many (Hockenson being one) but none bigger or gutsier than Josh Dobbs.

Quote: @rf54 said:
there is no way Hall starts next week, Hall probably would not attempt some of the throws Dobbs made today.
Agreed.

No one has said it specifically but Dobbs can scramble and run when things break down. 

Wow, is this a QB controversy? It sounds like some of you think Dobbs should start even if Hall were healthy. Don't agree with that, but love what Dobbs was able to do without taking any practice snaps. That's nothing short of miraculous. 

Hall is not likely going to be ready next week. He was declared "out" for the rest of the game in just minutes after the injury, which means his concussion symptoms were not mild; they were obvious, which in my opinion, means it's very unlikely he's able to go next week.

There is no controversy...YET. But if Dobbs plays well next week and wins, there could be. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Wow, is this a QB controversy? It sounds like some of you think Dobbs should start even if Hall were healthy.
I think the confussion is many believe that Hall was picked to start above other options when in reality Hall was the only option to start against the Falcons.  Dobbs was added 5 days before the game and it was simply looked at as if he could not be ready. 

KOC had to get a QB ready to play and Dobbs was not even on the roster Monday or Tuesday.  He arrived in Min late Tuesday and was only at practice Wed, Thur, and Fri.  with Sat a travel day.  KOC put all his efforts into getting the 1 guy available ready.  

Now that he has Dobbs here for and entire week, and now that he knows Dobbs is able to learn fast, the clear choice is the guy that has been starting in the NFL for 7 weeks this year and several games last year.

KOC was astonished by what Dobbs learned in a few days and said so in his presser.  

Hall,although looked OK in his second drive.  is still a 5th round rookie, who is looked at as a project by the Vikings.  Dobbs, while also looked at a developmental, has years more experience.  Look at some of the throws he made.  The throw to Addison on the sideline, The throw to Hockinson that was punched out, these are throws that we have not seen Hall make, and he may not have even attempted them.

I also think the Vikings may have to add another QB this week to get another back-up with Hall likely unable to dress for Sunday and not sure if Mullens is ready to return.

Quote: @rf54 said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wow, is this a QB controversy? It sounds like some of you think Dobbs should start even if Hall were healthy.
I think the confussion is many believe that Hall was picked to start above other options when in reality Hall was the only option to start against the Falcons.  Dobbs was added 5 days before the game and it was simply looked at as if he could not be ready. 

KOC had to get a QB ready to play and Dobbs was not even on the roster Monday or Tuesday.  He arrived in Min late Tuesday and was only at practice Wed, Thur, and Fri.  with Sat a travel day.  KOC put all his efforts into getting the 1 guy available ready.  

Now that he has Dobbs here for and entire week, and now that he knows Dobbs is able to learn fast, the clear choice is the guy that has been starting in the NFL for 7 weeks this year and several games last year.

KOC was astonished by what Dobbs learned in a few days and said so in his presser.  

Hall,although looked OK in his second drive.  is still a 5th round rookie, who is looked at as a project by the Vikings.  Dobbs, while also looked at a developmental, has years more experience.  Look at some of the throws he made.  The throw to Addison on the sideline, The throw to Hockinson that was punched out, these are throws that we have not seen Hall make, and he may not have even attempted them.

I also think the Vikings may have to add another QB this week to get another back-up with Hall likely unable to dress for Sunday and not sure if Mullens is ready to return.
Watch him look like a pile of dung this week when he gets some prep lol!! 

You are spot on in that they need to bring in another QB and they are probably praying hard Mullens gets back soon. They need QB bodies. 

All that said, I dont believe for a minute Dobbs is our QBOTF. I would have loved the remainder of the season to see what they got in Hall and that'll get truncated with the concussion.