Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
League Leaders: Cousins, JJetta, DHunter...trade 'em all!
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:
"The important thing is to trade away every single productive player on the team in order to stockpile crapshoot college kids with no pro experience!"

(seriously, that's the armchair GM message of the last few years, and possibly the most vacuous babble on the internet)
No,  the most common perspective on those wanting to rebuild is to look at a realistic time line for a rebuild and move players that will be out of their prime by the time that rebuild is complete.  Players that will likely still be contributing wouldn't need to be replaced and by moving them you just create a longer time line to get to competitive again.   I would guess right now that we are looking at 2 years of drafting and FA to get to the point of being a top tier team,  maybe more if they fuck up the draft again and or overpay free agents for what we get from them.
But JJ would still fit our timeline if we stink this year, draft a rookie QB, and hope to be a playoff team in 2-3 years.  He's only 24 years old.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
Davante Adams was traded to the Raiders for a 1st and a 2nd. If you think a team is going to give up 3 #1's plus additional picks, for JJ I got nuthin for ya. 
If Davante at 29 yrs old and having a history of nicks and games missed but with elite production fetches a 1 and 2, then JJ at 24 with elite/NFL record setting production would fetch more than that based on what he's done and will continue to do for years.  I could see the Vikings easily getting 2 firsts plus some Day 2 picks if they were to trade.  I hope we don't.

If the season goes south, I'd rather trade Cousins and Hunter.  Ensure a top 3 draft pick and have JJ, Hock, Addison, Darrisaw to build around on offense.  Keep it set up for a young QB to be successful right away.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:
"The important thing is to trade away every single productive player on the team in order to stockpile crapshoot college kids with no pro experience!"

(seriously, that's the armchair GM message of the last few years, and possibly the most vacuous babble on the internet)
No,  the most common perspective on those wanting to rebuild is to look at a realistic time line for a rebuild and move players that will be out of their prime by the time that rebuild is complete.  Players that will likely still be contributing wouldn't need to be replaced and by moving them you just create a longer time line to get to competitive again.   I would guess right now that we are looking at 2 years of drafting and FA to get to the point of being a top tier team,  maybe more if they fuck up the draft again and or overpay free agents for what we get from them.
But JJ would still fit our timeline if we stink this year, draft a rookie QB, and hope to be a playoff team in 2-3 years.  He's only 24 years old.
Yeah, JJ will be a big fan of that. Expect the Stefon Diggs treatment. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:

two different discussions taking place here,  I agree JJ wont be past his prime, but he may not be willing to give up 2-3 years of his prime while the team rebuilds around him,  so with that potential issue,  I would be willing to take offers for him,  but it would have to be if we couldnt keep him happy and the return was worth it.  

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:

depends on how you sell it.  honestly Kirks numbers are largely due to having JJ on the receiving end,  but Kirk is not looking as good this year as he has in the past, maybe its pressure or whatever,  or maybe its father time and JJ should expect to see a continued decline in Kirks ability to throw him open,  to not get him killed on crossing routes,  to hit those deep throws etc...how many good / great receivers ended up going to teams with QBs that were past their prime and as a result the receivers stats/marketability suffered as well?  one thing about it, right now its JJs team,  he is the face of the franchise,  would JJ get that if he were to force his way out of town?

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Zanary" said:

depends on how you sell it.  honestly Kirks numbers are largely due to having JJ on the receiving end,  but Kirk is not looking as good this year as he has in the past, maybe its pressure or whatever,  or maybe its father time and JJ should expect to see a continued decline in Kirks ability to throw him open,  to not get him killed on crossing routes,  to hit those deep throws etc...how many good / great receivers ended up going to teams with QBs that were past their prime and as a result the receivers stats/marketability suffered as well?  one thing about it, right now its JJs team,  he is the face of the franchise,  would JJ get that if he were to force his way out of town?
(squints at Kirk currently leading in various tangible QB categories)

Huh.  I wonder what he should be looking like? 

I wonder what he'd look like if less of his passes got dropped/bobbled...and, for that matter, what our win/loss record would look like...

...if our $17 million Tight End wasn't giving me "Stone Hands Shiancoe" PTSD.

Kirk is, again, the most-hit QB in the league and that's despite some obvious attempts to escape harm.  The sad fact is that our already-iffy line is now also wracked with injuries, our "savior" lineman is only going to be improving one position, and that the coaches need to rein in the errors...period.

Kirk's balling out, when he can...but he's had gaffes, JJ has, the whole team is disjointed right now.  JJ fumbling for a touchback?  Both TJ and KJ coughing up passes to defenders?  Easy INT bobbled straight to the opposing WR for points? Muffed punt, blown coverages...

...KOC and crew need to get the errors dealt with.

As far as the original thread is concerned, anyone thinking JJ is going to wait patiently for anything less than a star QB is out of their minds.  Everything he's said has led to the simple fact that he can choose to simply play through '24...and leave, if he doesn't like the direction.  He's repeatedly said that he likes our current QB, and he knows Kirk better than any of us...I'd say that will matter a bit.  Maybe not decisively, but a good amount.

It’s no secret that after the Minnesota Vikings 0-3 start the discussion of tanking and trading players away has moved to the forefront of the conversation.
Vikings superstar wide receiver Justin Jefferson has heard the talks and is tired of it.
Quote:“At the end of the day it’s not going to be perfect every time,” said Jefferson. “There’s things that you’ve got to go through throughout the season to really tell if you’re going to be a great team or not. We’re handling adversity early in the season with the turnovers and being 0-3, but there is a whole bunch of more games to go. I’m tired of people saying that we’re looking into next season or all of the trades and stuff like that. We’re focused still on this season. We have a lot more games to go and we have a lot more things to accomplish this season. We’re still focused in, and we still have the same goal as we had before the season. We just need to fix a few things and I feel like we’ll be back on track.”

@"mgobluevikes" said:
Davante Adams was traded to the Raiders for a 1st and a 2nd. If you think a team is going to give up 3 #1's plus additional picks, for JJ I got nuthin for ya. 
If Davante at 29 yrs old and having a history of nicks and games missed but with elite production fetches a 1 and 2, then JJ at 24 with elite/NFL record setting production would fetch more than that based on what he's done and will continue to do for years.  I could see the Vikings easily getting 2 firsts plus some Day 2 picks if they were to trade.  I hope we don't.

If the season goes south, I'd rather trade Cousins and Hunter.  Ensure a top 3 draft pick and have JJ, Hock, Addison, Darrisaw to build around on offense.  Keep it set up for a young QB to be successful right away.
Adams hasn't missed a game in 2 years, and has only had minor injuries earlier in his career that kept him out of 4 consecutive games twice due to turf toe and a sprained ankle. That's hardly a history in this league.

Adams also has a bigger body than JJ, and while we're catching lightning in a bottle with him, who's to say JJ will play at this level for another 5 yrs. with the milage we're putting on him? His value could very well be more than Adams' when he was traded, but 2 #1's is crazy talk for WR unless we're talking about KC's or some other super bowl contender's #1's  which are more like rd. 2 picks. 

Flush the toilet!

The Wilf's have been great owners with regard to supplying top notch facilities and allowing the front office staff the capital to invest in players. But I have to question the effect of the front office hiring decisions they have made over the years. I like to think they have learned from their attempts to be innovators with the triangle of authority and other unique concepts of how things should be done. But sometimes it seems using a more traditional pathway may be more beneficial. 
Yet, here we are, once again with an experiment in an analytics expert at GM and a first time head coach. And while I support their decisions, I have yet to see significant positive results. 13 wins was an unexpected result last year. But the team was far from competing for a SB championship.
Time for a rebuild that should have probably already happened. 

After week 4:
RECEIVINGYDS
And Khalil Mack got all his sacks in ONE game yesterday:
SACKSSACK