Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Risner to Minnesota
Is it because of Bradbury's injury, or Ingram's ineptitude ? They should have recognized the weakness of the interior line last year and done something about it in the off season. The Vikings couldn't run the ball last year and Cousins got pummeled, yet they rolled out the same line!

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
@"FLVike" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
According to Mike Klis of 9News in Denver, it's a one-year, $4 million deal with $2.25 million guaranteed.

That's all? That should have been done weeks ago.
You're assuming that's what the price was weeks ago.
It was probably less because he has us over the barrel now Smile

Hyperbolically, if he had us over a barrel his agent did a shit job taking advantage. Realistically, going into week three and there's no shortage of oline injuries league wide. Based on lack of talk, didn't exactly sound like teams were beating down his door.

I guess I'm glad but really, Kwesi, you couldn't have done this in June?  Certainly didn't cost an arm and a leg.... and waiting this long damn near cost us Kirk's arms and legs.

lol, not this board but in other locations, you'd think this signing was like getting Randall McDaniel. Whether you like PFF grades or not, Risner's over the last 3 seasons were not good. He was unsigned for a reason. I'm usually excited about stuff like this but I just don't see this moving the needle much.

And KOC can act now like they wanted Risner before....lol....not the case. But Ingram sucks so badly they decided in desperation to pull the trigger. At least they are trying something, but the much better way would have been to plan to Ingram's replacement in the offseason.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
lol, not this board but in other locations, you'd think this signing was like getting Randall McDaniel. Whether you like PFF grades or not, Risner's over the last 3 seasons were not good. He was unsigned for a reason. I'm usually excited about stuff like this but I just don't see this moving the needle much.

And KOC can act now like they wanted Risner before....lol....not the case. But Ingram sucks so badly they decided in desperation to pull the trigger. At least they are trying something, but the much better way would have been to plan to Ingram's replacement in the offseason.
Agree, theres a reason he wasnt signed when everyone has OL issues. Feels like dog shit to coyote shit. Hopefully we’re wrong and he come in and blows us away.  

I'm excited about the signing because he's been durable and disciplined. Very few injuries and penalties. He's not the world's best run blocker, but his pass blocking has been consistently good. Take away the Jax game last year and he was damn near elite. Right now, we need that desperately. 

And it's going to look a lot better than it really is simply because we're not playing the Bucs and Eagles anymore. The Chargers and Panthers don't have anywhere near the inside rush as those teams. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

I'm excited about the signing because he's been durable and disciplined. Very few injuries and penalties. He's not the world's best run blocker, but his pass blocking has been consistently good. Take away the Jax game last year and he was damn near elite. Right now, we need that desperately. 

And it's going to look a lot better than it really is simply because we're not playing the Bucs and Eagles anymore. The Chargers and Panthers don't have anywhere near the inside rush as those teams. 
Well, I'm going to have to beg to differ with you. #1 he's been sitting there, unsigned. Not great. Second, a team let him walk (Denver), again not ideal. Third, KOC mentions on the news of the signing that 'they need to run the ball to set up the pass' and you mention how much he sucks in the run game. Its also going to take some time to get him up to speed and game shape, I highly doubt he plays Sunday. 

Like I mentioned, I usually get amped over signings like this but I'm really going to have to see it on the field first.

Quote: @"bigbone62" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"bigbone62" said:
@"FLVike" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
According to Mike Klis of 9News in Denver, it's a one-year, $4 million deal with $2.25 million guaranteed.

That's all? That should have been done weeks ago.
You're assuming that's what the price was weeks ago.
It was probably less because he has us over the barrel now Smile

Hyperbolically, if he had us over a barrel his agent did a shit job taking advantage. Realistically, going into week three and there's no shortage of oline injuries league wide. Based on lack of talk, didn't exactly sound like teams were beating down his door.
Who cares but this should have been done long ago. I guess you were one of those that were against bringing him in?  

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

Well, I'm going to have to beg to differ with you. #1 he's been sitting there, unsigned. Not great. Second, a team let him walk (Denver), again not ideal. Third, KOC mentions on the news of the signing that 'they need to run the ball to set up the pass' and you mention how much he sucks in the run game. Its also going to take some time to get him up to speed and game shape, I highly doubt he plays Sunday. 

Like I mentioned, I usually get amped over signings like this but I'm really going to have to see it on the field first.

I don't think anyone expects Risner to come in and solve all our problems. Least of all me. But my point through this whole thing has been about incremental improvement. 5% here, 10% there. Whether that came from Ingram going from year 1 to 2, or signing a guy like Risner, makes no difference to me. 

I suspect Risner either sits or gets a handful of snaps this Sunday and then is ready to go the following week. Right now, we don't even know where he's going to play. But one factor in his favor is that he's been in zone offenses his entire career and his OL coach in Minnesota is the same guy as it was in Denver. 

Maybe the timing is just about the obvious - with 4 accrued years, Risner is covered by the vested veteran rule which guarantees his entire season's money if he's on the roster in week one.  So no signing. 

Week two on a three day turnaround, you aren't going to have time to bring a new guy in.  So it happens now in week three.

So if he's injured and done for the year, or stinks and gets cut, they don't have to shell out the whole 4 million.