Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't want to overreact after one week, but.....
Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Greylock" said:
With the turnovers, the miscues, the offsides on the field goal try by Tampa how much of this could be related to the starters getting no action in the preseason.  I know you want to minimize injuries in a meaningless game but this game was the first time for the starters as a unit and it certainly showed. 
That thought entered my mind as well.
every team sport I have ever played,  you get better through repetition,  you do things over and over in as close to game like situations as you can to make sure you are as ready for the real game as possible,  the league gives them 3 dress rehearsals and the decision is to not take advantage of them?  In a game that has virtually banned real hitting in practice,  they thought they couldnt benefit from a couple series against real opponents to knock the rust off?  I know the Vikes werent the only ones,  but I also know KC did the same thing and have a similar record after a home game they should have won.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"TBro" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Leber sums it up....

https://twitter.com/nacholeber/status/17...78109?s=20
I don't agree with his take that the OLine did a good job of not allowing penetration. They were constantly getting blown up. 
I'll have to watch it again, but I don't think the OL played too poorly against that very good front seven. They certainly weren't the reason for the loss, as they have been in the past with the IOL getting overpowered up the middle.

I might change my mind after further review, but it seemed to me most of the pressure came from the edges via blitz. The Bucs blitzed more than any other team yesterday, except one, the Vikings.  

The Vikings gave up 6 TFL's yesterday and 9 QB Hits so that is what I'm basing my response on. On several plays, Mattison was hit in the backfield and was able to get past the line of gain with 2nd and 3rd efforts so it could've been even worse. I don't have access to the all 22, but from my viewpoint we were giving up a ton of penetration up the middle that created a ton of disruption. Way too many 3 and outs. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
https://twitter.com/RandBall/status/1701260226152825046
The tackle by JJ as pretty impressive on that INT.  I think it may have been you that called it out in his first year on how strong JJ was.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
https://twitter.com/RandBall/status/1701260226152825046
Bad read.  Hesitating then throwing into double coverage on a non 3rd down in the deep red zone.  

Bad read, not throwing to the league's best WR or a top 5 TE in the league or the wide open 1st round rookie

This isn't going to end well with Kirk

One big gripe, on the last run by Mayfield where he picked up the first down.  Pace plays it like he is tackling a QB, cuz if he goes in and blows Mayfield up, he might get a flag.  Instead he arm tackles him and everyone celebrates Mayfield running strong.  QBs need to either be fair game once they take off, or they need to be blown dead at contact.

Tampa outplayed us on our turf.

Our first two fumbles in our own territory resulted in only 3 points for TB.  So not killer by any means.  
The Int in the end zone took at least 3 off the board and then TB drove to tie the game at 10-10 by half.  Their best drive of the game other than the closeout!  They finished both halves and we couldn't.  

Second half of a 10-10 game at home and JJ has 2 catches for 12 yards.

We score 1 TD in the second half that was gifted by a phantom PI on KJ the play before - IMO?  Otherwise, we would have generated 3 points total in the second half with a Top Offense??  

That stat sheet against the run looks great but we couldn't stop them when we needed to, and TB had the worst run offense in football last year...fyi. 

Awful start to the season.  Now we come to my turf in Philly which has been a killing field.  Kirk is going to be under siege, and this is going to be hard to watch surrounded by Iggle fans.  

Don't want to overreact after one week, but.....

It is what we do.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Don't want to step on toes, but maybe, just maybe, Cousins is not a really good QB.

Quote: @"FLVike" said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Don't want to step on toes, but maybe, just maybe, Cousins is not a really good QB.
He was 33/44 for 344 yards and two TDs under a ridiculous amount of pressure.  Not many QBs would have been picking themselves off the turf and shaking it off like he was all game.  The interception at the end of the half really hurt and he missed on a few, I do not blame the fumble on him.  Overall it wasn't his best game, but it was a pretty solid effort based on the kind of pressure he was under all game.  The one area I thought he could have improved on the most from yesterday, was feeling the pressure and sliding in the pocket, not scrambling, but just moving a little bit to buy more time.