Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kareem Hunt Visiting Vikings
Quote: @medaille said:
@bigbone62 said:
@JR44 said:
So I guess character doesn't count?  Says a lot about this teams leadership to bring a guy like this in.  

Let's be real, character counts for a large percentage of any fan base when it's convenient. If the player produces and the teams winning character matters less and it's "our guy" deserving a second chance. If it's someone else's player character counts. Don't have to think too far back to a former Vikes RB being a scumbag and people making excuses. And still making excuses.
Obviously, any fanbase is going to include a diverse range
of opinions, and the better and more likeable a player is the more fans will
tolerate bad behavior.  That said, Hunt
isn’t anywhere close to AD or Cook in terms of performance upside and in terms
of negative optics he’s probably in the top 3 for least likeable person in the
league.  I just don’t think we need to go
out and bring in a backup RB (maybe co-starter in a RB by committee situation) that has his downsides.

Don't get me wrong, not advocating bringing him in. Simply enjoy pointing out the mental gymnastics people do on this board to twist situations into things to further their agenda or bury their heads in the send. 

I’d bring someone in for the right price. Kene is banged up, McBride is likely practice squad material year one, Abram Smith possible practice squad at best, so that leaves Chandler and Mattison realistically. 
Grabbing a vet makes sense, but guys like Hunt, Cook, Elliot, Fournette will be looking for more than they will get offered. The cupboard is pretty bare after them, with age being the issue with most of the others. 

Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@JR44 said:
So I guess character doesn't count?  Says a lot about this teams leadership to bring a guy like this in.  

Let's be real, character counts for a large percentage of any fan base when it's convenient. If the player produces and the teams winning character matters less and it's "our guy" deserving a second chance. If it's someone else's player character counts. Don't have to think too far back to a former Vikes RB being a scumbag and people making excuses. And still making excuses.
That may true when there are accusations and opposing accounts of what happen, however when there is video footage of a player beating up a woman and then physically kicking her when she is unconscious on the ground, it doesn't matter who the player is, fans are not going to care what that player brings to the team.  And for leadership to bring in a player like that and consider him does not say a lot for their own character.  

Quote: @JR44 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@JR44 said:

That may true when there are accusations and opposing accounts of what happen, however when there is video footage of a player beating up a woman and then physically kicking her when she is unconscious on the ground, it doesn't matter who the player is, fans are not going to care what that player brings to the team.  And for leadership to bring in a player like that and consider him does not say a lot for their own character.  

Case in point for mental gymnastics. There was photo evidence of the damage Peterson did to a toddlers legs, buttock and genitals. There was no opposing accounts. He never denied the damage he had done, simply tried to excuse it away as being normal where he was raised. AKA Mental gymnastics.  Fast forward a few years and he let slip in an interview that he still hits one of his sons with a belt. And there are still people making excuses and defending him.