Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum Return for D. Hunter
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Also Hunter led the NFL last season with 36 QB pressures on 3rd and 4th downs. So yeah, any trade package not including a 1st round pick and these teams can pound sand 
so let me get this straight,  you want the team to deal Cousins because he can walk after next year anyway,  but Hunter you have to have a first round pick even though he is also likely to walk after the coming season and is also wanting top tier money?  I dont understand the double standard,  KC is more important to the O than DH to the D,  KC is going to be harder to replace, and KC has been more durable.  With both of them I only see about another year or 2 tops before the wheels fall off the wagon.  Yes DH is likely higher ranked for his position,  but DE is not nearly as valued as QB so taking a third for Cousins,  but demanding a first for Hunter doesnt seem to be coming from the same place of logic to me.
What are you talking about? I'm not in favor of trading Hunter at all if the plan is to be competitive this season. However if they want to trade him, based on precedent and production, the Kwes-master better come out of that deal with at least a 1st round pick in return. 

If they trade Hunter, then it doesn't make sense to me to hold on to Cousins and be "kinda good" while jettisoning all the other older veterans on the roster because we wont be competitive anyway. Trade him, take a tank year, regroup next offseason with a likely top ten pick, cap space, and bring in some actual impact young players that we can build around for the long term. Again, if they really wanted Cousins in the first place and thought he was "the guy" he'd already be signed to an extension and this wouldn't be a conversation, but he's not....therefor it is
SO... if you are ok with them moving KC,  since they dont think he is the guy,  that would say they arent all in as well and moving Hunter would be a no brainer  as well since they are both on the last year of their deals and neither have been re-signed to date.

I dont buy the competitive rebuild notion,  if they keep fucking around with "competitive" the task of rebuilding a better roster is more challenging as you cant afford to make a run from the late teens to mid 20s to a top position if you are targeting real impact players at key positions like QB or even coveted DL.  sure you can luck into some guys dropping,  but I dont trust that we will take that guy anyway as there will always be some metric that says to take the WR.
I think you could make the argument for keeping Hunter while getting rid of Cousins from the age perspective. There's a seven year age difference. Hunter won't be 29 until Halloween while Cousins turns 35 prior to the season. I could feel pretty good about giving Hunter a 3 or 4 year deal and reasonably expecting the same type of production, where there is no way you give Cousins that same kind of deal. I personally feel if you keep one, you should keep them both though in the interest of being competitive.

But I do completely agree with you that the "competitive" part doesn't really lend to being in position to acquire that elusive franchise QB. The price tag becomes very steep trying to move up into position when you are drafting in the late teens to early 20's in the interest of trying to remain "competitive." 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
Also Hunter led the NFL last season with 36 QB pressures on 3rd and 4th downs. So yeah, any trade package not including a 1st round pick and these teams can pound sand 
so let me get this straight,  you want the team to deal Cousins because he can walk after next year anyway,  but Hunter you have to have a first round pick even though he is also likely to walk after the coming season and is also wanting top tier money?  I dont understand the double standard,  KC is more important to the O than DH to the D,  KC is going to be harder to replace, and KC has been more durable.  With both of them I only see about another year or 2 tops before the wheels fall off the wagon.  Yes DH is likely higher ranked for his position,  but DE is not nearly as valued as QB so taking a third for Cousins,  but demanding a first for Hunter doesnt seem to be coming from the same place of logic to me.
What are you talking about? I'm not in favor of trading Hunter at all if the plan is to be competitive this season. However if they want to trade him, based on precedent and production, the Kwes-master better come out of that deal with at least a 1st round pick in return. 

If they trade Hunter, then it doesn't make sense to me to hold on to Cousins and be "kinda good" while jettisoning all the other older veterans on the roster because we wont be competitive anyway. Trade him, take a tank year, regroup next offseason with a likely top ten pick, cap space, and bring in some actual impact young players that we can build around for the long term. Again, if they really wanted Cousins in the first place and thought he was "the guy" he'd already be signed to an extension and this wouldn't be a conversation, but he's not....therefor it is
SO... if you are ok with them moving KC,  since they dont think he is the guy,  that would say they arent all in as well and moving Hunter would be a no brainer  as well since they are both on the last year of their deals and neither have been re-signed to date.

I dont buy the competitive rebuild notion,  if they keep fucking around with "competitive" the task of rebuilding a better roster is more challenging as you cant afford to make a run from the late teens to mid 20s to a top position if you are targeting real impact players at key positions like QB or even coveted DL.  sure you can luck into some guys dropping,  but I dont trust that we will take that guy anyway as there will always be some metric that says to take the WR.
I think you could make the argument for keeping Hunter while getting rid of Cousins from the age perspective. There's a seven year age difference. Hunter won't be 29 until Halloween while Cousins turns 35 prior to the season. I could feel pretty good about giving Hunter a 3 or 4 year deal and reasonably expecting the same type of production, where there is no way you give Cousins that same kind of deal. I personally feel if you keep one, you should keep them both though in the interest of being competitive.

But I do completely agree with you that the "competitive" part doesn't really lend to being in position to acquire that elusive franchise QB. The price tag becomes very steep trying to move up into position when you are drafting in the late teens to early 20's in the interest of trying to remain "competitive." 
i dont see Hunter being able to maintain his current level much longer,  his game is about quicks and not as much about power,  the quicks will leave him much sooner than a guy loses power and as such I dont see him as a good risk for anything more than a 2 year deal,  about all the more I would risk with KC.  IMO they both have about the same shelf life,  despite their age difference.

@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

i dont see Hunter being able to maintain his current level much longer,  his game is about quicks and not as much about power,  the quicks will leave him much sooner than a guy loses power and as such I dont see him as a good risk for anything more than a 2 year deal,  about all the more I would risk with KC.  IMO they both have about the same shelf life,  despite their age difference.

Looks plenty powerful to me. Check out the bull rush at 1:13 against Miami. That's grown man football

There are some Pro's and Con's to this entire issue.
If I had my druthers, I'd rather we work it out and keep him, with some non-guaranteed injury outs.
Good luck with that, I know.
His injury history bothers me...a lot.  Neurological (neck/spine) issues are not trifling matters.
If he was happy here, and he was re-signed, I'd be happy.  
Judging his performance last year is not an accurate representation of his abilities/capability because to me he is a pure DE/Edge and under that defense, he was lined up as a LB, not a natural Edge rusher.  He seemed out of sorts all season, as if he was trying to figure out where he was supposed to be.  Is BFlo's defense going to utilize him differently?  I would assume that they would take the blinders off and give him more help with blitz's from anywhere on the field.  It just seemed so predictable most of the plays, we were rushing 4 and they were just hand fighting.  Completely ineffective IMO, but I give him a pass for last year because of the bend-not break-defense that did NOT work.
I'm trying not to get emotionally attached either way.  I believe in my heart-of-hearts that Kwesi is going to try to re-sign him if he can.  If he cannot, he will trade him to wherever we can ge the best return.  
Of that, I am convinced.

@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I think you're completely wrong. His game is all about power and length. He's more JJ Watt, not Von Miller.

My preference is to extend Hunter with a fair deal. No way I trade Hunter for anything less than a first plus something. If we cannot get a 1st + in a trade then I would let his agent know that the Vikings are prepared to make Hunter play under the current contract (feel free to hold out) and to franchise him next year, too. Depending on how he does, we may consider franchising him a second time before releasing him after 3 more seasons. With both sides properly motivated perhaps it will make it easier to work out an extension.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

I think you're completely wrong. His game is all about power and length. He's more JJ Watt, not Von Miller.
I see him at his best exploding into an OL,  swimming around, or ripping under,  if he doesnt get at them quickly it seems to neutralize his power.   I am not calling him a pussy,  or a 1 trick pony,  I am just saying that his burst is his greatest asset IMO and I dont see that lasting much more than a couple more years.  Especially with the OTs getting more athletic all the time.

If we get moderate improvement from the defense, the Vikings should be a playoff team again in 2023. It's hard to see that happening without Hunter. 

I see Hunter as a tipping point on the rebuild scale. He's the best player on our defense. One of the truly elite edge rushers in the NFL. And he's only 28. If you don't pay the guy, it's really hard to make the argument your rebuild is a "competitive" one. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
If we get moderate improvement from the defense, the Vikings should be a playoff team again in 2023. It's hard to see that happening without Hunter. 

I see Hunter as a tipping point on the rebuild scale. He's the best player on our defense. One of the truly elite edge rushers in the NFL. And he's only 28. You don't pay a guy like it's really hard to make the argument your rebuild is a "competitive" one. 
Agree, especially when we have nothing proven at pass rusher behind him.  Wonnum and Patrick Jones are nice players but they don't look like difference makers.  The guy out of Army is intriguing but I'd be surprised if he does anything notable his rookie year.  Right now our pass rush is questionable, if we trade Hunter it could be a big problem.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I see Hunter as a tipping point on the rebuild scale. He's the best player on our defense. One of the truly elite edge rushers in the NFL. And he's only 28. You don't pay a guy like it's really hard to make the argument your rebuild is a "competitive" one. 
Agree, especially when we have nothing proven at pass rusher behind him.  Wonnum and Patrick Jones are nice players but they don't look like difference makers.  The guy out of Army is intriguing but I'd be surprised if he does anything notable his rookie year.  Right now our pass rush is questionable, if we trade Hunter it could be a big problem.
Sounds like Wonnum is the one who got Hunter's snaps in OTAs, which is a little surprising to me. I think of PJ2 as the better pass rusher and Wonnum the better run defender.

Hunter is THE key decision of the offseason IMO. The "river" in poker terms. You keep him, the Vikings should be legit contenders. You trade him and they're not. But you might just get the capital you need to draft the QBOTF.