Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So are the Vikings going to tell us what's wrong with Sam?
as far as Zimmer being testy... how many times does he have to say that specifics about injury are going to be kept in house on active players?  That has been his approach since day 1 and the reporters should know by now that he wont get into specifics with the press when it comes to players injuries or other issues.

I've come to accept that we dont need to know every little detail about a players health,  why cant the reporters get it figured out... and if it is their job to ask, then they should understand when they ask the same question repeatedly that they are going to shred some nerves.  If I was him and had to deal with some of those aholes I would be like "you are dumb...go home!" 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
as far as Zimmer being testy... how many times does he have to say that specifics about injury are going to be kept in house on active players?  That has been his approach since day 1 and the reporters should know by now that he wont get into specifics with the press when it comes to players injuries or other issues.

I've come to accept that we dont need to know every little detail about a players health,  why cant the reporters get it figured out... and if it is their job to ask, then they should understand when they ask the same question repeatedly that they are going to shred some nerves.  If I was him and had to deal with some of those aholes I would be like "you are dumb...go home!" 
Its because its part of his job as head coach. Why do you think they require coach's to have a post-game presser and take questions from the media? He's a curmudgeon. Its the media's job to ask questions and its his job to answer them. Just do away with the PCs then. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Its because its part of his job as head coach. Why do you think they require coach's to have a post-game presser and take questions from the media? He's a curmudgeon. Its the media's job to ask questions and its his job to answer them. Just do away with the PCs then. 
they can ask about the game,  they can ask about play calling selection,  lots of things he has been willing to talk about,  but they always go after the things he has made clear that he wont discuss in with them.   he typically states his position politely the first time,  and only gets rude after that.

and yes, IMO they should do away with the mandatory press conferences... as far as it being his job,  his job is to coach the football team first and foremost,  I could care less if some hacks with press credentials get their story or not to sell their papers and advertising.

and why should it even be ok to discuss the health of an employee in the public.  I guarantee you that if somebody came in to my office and asked about an employees health that I would get fired for having that conversation.   we have no "right" to know about a persons health regardless of how much they get paid or the fact that they are professional athletes.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if Zimmer is an asshole to the press.  Especially after getting asked about the same issue multiple times after he has already said he is not going to discuss it.

I think he's a great coach who has turned around our historically bad defense and made the team competitive again while being dealt some unbelievably bad blows, even by Vikings' standards.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

they can ask about the game,  they can ask about play calling selection,  lots of things he has been willing to talk about,  but they always go after the things he has made clear that he wont discuss in with them.   he typically states his position politely the first time,  and only gets rude after that.

and yes, IMO they should do away with the mandatory press conferences... as far as it being his job,  his job is to coach the football team first and foremost,  I could care less if some hacks with press credentials get their story or not to sell their papers and advertising.

and why should it even be ok to discuss the health of an employee in the public.  I guarantee you that if somebody came in to my office and asked about an employees health that I would get fired for having that conversation.   we have no "right" to know about a persons health regardless of how much they get paid or the fact that they are professional athletes.
Dude, you're making excuses for him. All NFL coaches have to do it and its PART OF HIS JOB. Your office isn't the NFL. Its ridiculous to watch that presser yesterday and say that Zimmer was anything but a petulant baby. 

Greg Papovich. adored for his gruff treatment of the press. I have no ossues with Zimmer. You should hear some of the insanely stupid questions he deals with

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
Greg Papovich. adored for his gruff treatment of the press. I have no ossues with Zimmer. You should hear some of the insanely stupid questions he deals with
But, to be fair, yesterday, the questions were fair.  Even fans don't like to see him act like Bill Parcells on reasonable inquiries about his star QB not playing, with an odd injury that appeared out of nowhere.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Dude, you're making excuses for him. All NFL coaches have to do it and its PART OF HIS JOB. Your office isn't the NFL. Its ridiculous to watch that presser yesterday and say that Zimmer was anything but a petulant baby. 
I have been defending coaches and players for years from the mass media,  I cant stand most of the media in this country and they way they try to create stories and twist words.   And why does the nfl have different standards than the rest of the country when it comes to the law?  what does pro sports have to do with labor and personal laws?  

and once again... who said its part of his job to discuss player health related issues?  is he a doctor or trainer that could speak from a position of knowledge?  the post game presser is the medias chance to talk about the game,  Bradford was not part of the game therefore its not his job to discuss that at that time.  if giving player health updates was his job then he would have gotten taken to task the numerous times in the past that he has refused to discuss them.  why do you think this time should be different?

Quote: @medaille said:
I don’t think there’s too much rocket science behind what
happened at his press conference.  The
reporters have been harassing him constantly trying to figure out what’s up
with Bradford’s knee.  Maybe not publicly,
but probably calling his phone, or trying to get his attention in the hallway,
or whatever reporters do to get the scoop. 
He’s playing it close to the vest or doesn’t know and can’t tell them
anything good, but they just keep asking, so he just throws out 6 weeks as something
that’s too far from realistic as a way of telling them they’re not going to get
any good info.
Was he being a dick. 
Yes.  Where the reporters also
being dicks?  Who knows, but Zimmer acted
like they were.

I wish Zimmer was a little better at just saying, “We’re
going to keep that close to the vest, but thanks for asking.”, but that’s not his
style.
You are just making crap up.   Call his phone, lol.   They can call Winter Park, that's about it.

Hmmm, what right do we have to his medical condition? Do you think your particular medical conditions should be available for the general public? I think at times we as fans demand too much information. Sam has a knee condition. As fans we would love to hear more about his knee condition. And for the lion's share likely not because we are concerned for his medical state, but because we are concerned about the state of our team. In reality we are legally privy to zilch, nada, bubkiss. I get it though him being a public figure we feel like we should be granted more. Reality says that we aren't. Did zimmer go too far in his presser? Probably.

But in reality we only care for the moment..... If we win next Sunday.