Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schefter reporting Vikings looking to do Cousins extension now
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"JR44" said:
If they didn't feel confident enough in Cousins to make trading up for a QB a priority, then he is not the guy for them to move forward with.  This doesn't feel like the way great organizations operate. I feel like you make a decisive decision and it is either Cousins or move on.  Feels wishy washy and I don't think it does a lot for the relationship you have with him.  Really disappointing this was the plan.
I read somewhere, not sure if it was Geoff or not but someone said they had a preliminary deal worked out for #8 for 1 of the QBs if they fell. 

There was also chatter that Levis wasnt a cultural fit, so he was out. 

yah, I read that too...Sounds like a great big thumbs down on fit, and KOC doesnt seem that tough to get along with either. 

Well, I wish the kid well with the Titans. I hope Vrabel can raise him right. 

If you cant get along with the big KOC you cant get along with anyone lol. Dude seems as genuine as they make them. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"JR44" said:
If they didn't feel confident enough in Cousins to make trading up for a QB a priority, then he is not the guy for them to move forward with.  This doesn't feel like the way great organizations operate. I feel like you make a decisive decision and it is either Cousins or move on.  Feels wishy washy and I don't think it does a lot for the relationship you have with him.  Really disappointing this was the plan.
I read somewhere, not sure if it was Geoff or not but someone said they had a preliminary deal worked out for #8 for 1 of the QBs if they fell. 

There was also chatter that Levis wasnt a cultural fit, so he was out. 

yah, I read that too...Sounds like a great big thumbs down on fit, and KOC doesnt seem that tough to get along with either. 

Well, I wish the kid well with the Titans. I hope Vrabel can raise him right. 

If you cant get along with the big KOC you cant get along with anyone lol. Dude seems as genuine as they make them. 

I know right. He seems like a good dude. I don't know how you can't get along with him. Both KOC and KAM had ties to his coaching staff so obviously they decided he wasn't the right fit. 

To clarify, I didn’t get that from Schefter. Florio and some guy I don’t know were on a livestream talking about presumably what he told them. 

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
It was obvious they weren't going to move into the top 10 with their lack of draft capital, so the possibility of landing one of the top 3 QBs  was next to zero. Delaying the extension until after the draft looks like they just handed Kirk all of the leverage again. How does this make any sense?
How much leverage does Kirko have? After this season he'll be a 36 year old QB w/ only one playoff win assuming no playoff wins this season. I don't forsee a lot of teams signing up for that.
Right now, significantly more than the Vikings. 

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
It was obvious they weren't going to move into the top 10 with their lack of draft capital, so the possibility of landing one of the top 3 QBs  was next to zero. Delaying the extension until after the draft looks like they just handed Kirk all of the leverage again. How does this make any sense?
How much leverage does Kirko have? After this season he'll be a 36 year old QB w/ only one playoff win assuming no playoff wins this season. I don't forsee a lot of teams signing up for that.
common sense would agree with you,  but look at this board,  I would bet that over 2/3 of the board is OK with extending Kirk even though we all know that means more of the same mercenary contract tactics that we have seen for the last 5 years.  I am sure that they are likely aligned with many front offices in the league whose jobs are based on positive results and measured in the now,  not the future.   If I was a GM and landed a highly athletic but raw QB next spring,  or even this year ( COLTS ) and wanted a bridge for the next 2 years while we aaron rogers his ass ( a smart approach IMO )  then why not ante up for a quality veteran to mentor his replacement as long as everything else is mostly in place for a run once you hand the reigns to the kid in a couple years?  keeps the fan base engaged and excitement up.

however if you dont feel that you are that close,  then whats the point?  take the ass kicking that a couple off years brings to a franchise,  but use your quality veterans to bring in draft capital,  use their cap savings to extend your own young studs on front loaded deals,  and they added draft picks as well as draft positions from down years to rebuild not only your QB room, but other areas of need at key positions. 

I start looking at the playoffs in August or sooner,  if I dont see a team that is heading for glory that year,  then I want to see a team that is building for something.  I want to see a path to the future.  ( which I see neither with our teams from last year or so far this year) I find it much less frustrating as a fan to know that we are putting out a potential future generation of Vikings, that comes up short,  than to know that we are doing everything we can possibly do to compete and still are one and done in the playoffs or worse.  winning divisional banners means nothing to me anymore,  maybe it would if I was a lions or bears fan, ( or 30 years younger)  but at this point in my fandom,  its SB or bust baby. 

If Kirk was on the 49ers they would be contending for Superbowls. If Kirk was on the Chiefs they would lose in the playoffs. Kirk needs to be on a team with a top 10 defense and running game. Vikings are not there yet.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
It doesn't. I was fine letting Kirk play out the season and determining his value by his play of the field. I thought that is what Kwesi was gambling on. There was zero chance we were coming away from this draft with a QBOTF who would be ready to take over next year. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
It doesn't. I was fine letting Kirk playout the season and determining his value by his play of the field. I thought that is what Kwesi was gambling on. There was zero chance we were coming away from this draft with a QBOTF who would be ready to take over next year. 

This!

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
common sense would agree with you,  but look at this board,  I would bet that over 2/3 of the board is OK with extending Kirk even though we all know that means more of the same mercenary contract tactics that we have seen for the last 5 years.  I am sure that they are likely aligned with many front offices in the league whose jobs are based on positive results and measured in the now,  not the future.   If I was a GM and landed a highly athletic but raw QB next spring,  or even this year ( COLTS ) and wanted a bridge for the next 2 years while we aaron rogers his ass ( a smart approach IMO )  then why not ante up for a quality veteran to mentor his replacement as long as everything else is mostly in place for a run once you hand the reigns to the kid in a couple years?  keeps the fan base engaged and excitement up.

however if you dont feel that you are that close,  then whats the point?  take the ass kicking that a couple off years brings to a franchise,  but use your quality veterans to bring in draft capital,  use their cap savings to extend your own young studs on front loaded deals,  and they added draft picks as well as draft positions from down years to rebuild not only your QB room, but other areas of need at key positions. 

I start looking at the playoffs in August or sooner,  if I dont see a team that is heading for glory that year,  then I want to see a team that is building for something.  I want to see a path to the future.  ( which I see neither with our teams from last year or so far this year) I find it much less frustrating as a fan to know that we are putting out a potential future generation of Vikings, that comes up short,  than to know that we are doing everything we can possibly do to compete and still are one and done in the playoffs or worse.  winning divisional banners means nothing to me anymore,  maybe it would if I was a lions or bears fan, ( or 30 years younger)  but at this point in my fandom,  its SB or bust baby. 
I have no idea what this even means. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:

I have no idea what this even means. 
im not sure how to explain it much easier.  when you decide to rebuild the roster,  then do it all in,  admit you are likely not going to be competitive for a couple years,  identify who on your roster will be past their prime and not worth paying high dollar contracts to for the next couple years while you rebuild,  and trade them for either draft picks or younger players that will help your roster once you have finished your rebuild.  take the cap savings from those veterans that you traded for picks or younger players and use that to lock up the young studs you have and want to retain.  you will be picking lower in the draft so you have more options and value and should be able to help you get the players you want as opposed to picking 23,  really wanting a QB,  but knowing you dont have near the draft capital necessary to move into the top 3 to get your man.