Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins Trade Rumors
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Kirk  for Lance has to have a lot of draft capital coming back with Lance.  And I'm not talking about late 3rd rounders either.   This move is essentially handing the niners a ring,  they need to pay for that ring.  I know kc is on an expensive deal,  but its one that is a bargain since the Vikings will still end up carrying most of that hit so that has to be worth something.   I wouldnt be surprised to hear that there is a deal on place for the niners first and its up to the Vikes to pull the trigger.  Would maybe explain why they redid his deal to lower the cap hit when they didnt need to yet.
This isn't about Kirk for Lance. It's about picks for Lance. 

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@PurpleCrush said:
Not sure show credibluothis account is, but apparently they've hit on a few things recently. I will say this about any potential swap - IF it were to come to fruition, SF would definitely have to add to that trade scenario. Sure, you're getting a kid with high upside, but he's barely played at all, including college, he's coming off a fractured ankle, and two years have already been shaved off his rookie deal. I also wonder how JJ would react to going from a guy in Cousins whose helped him set all types of records, to an unproven commodity.

NFL Notifications
RUMOR:
The #Vikings and #49ers have had preliminary discussions about a Kirk Cousins/Trey Lance swap.

The Vikings aren’t confident Cousins is capable of leading them to a Super Bowl. Meanwhile, the 49ers believe that Cousins could be the missing piece just as Stafford was for the #Rams.

The salary cap implications of a potential deal remain a hurdle.

I think the odds Kirk gets traded hover somewhere around 1%, but I will say the narrative on this forum about "Jefferson would hate to be getting thrown to by (insert QB who's not Kirk)" is VASTLY overblown. JJ is a made guy. He's going to become the highest paid WR in the history of the NFL. Would he like to pad stats? Sure. But he's set regardless and by all indications is a team player. He seems smart enough to understand that finding a new QB is a solid longterm play.

I would hope so, but in the context of that trade scenario I'd still be a bit leery. Finding a new QB is indeed a solid long term play but finding a new QB who is going to turn out better than the one you have isn't that easy. I don't think making bank and being made is going to ease any concerns if the team picks the wrong guy and sets the them back however badly.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Kirk  for Lance has to have a lot of draft capital coming back with Lance.  And I'm not talking about late 3rd rounders either.   This move is essentially handing the niners a ring,  they need to pay for that ring.  I know kc is on an expensive deal,  but its one that is a bargain since the Vikings will still end up carrying most of that hit so that has to be worth something.   I wouldnt be surprised to hear that there is a deal on place for the niners first and its up to the Vikes to pull the trigger.  Would maybe explain why they redid his deal to lower the cap hit when they didnt need to yet.
This isn't about Kirk for Lance. It's about picks for Lance. 
The discussion is evolving back to a trade scenario. 

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@pattersaur said:
@PurpleCrush said:
Not sure show credibluothis account is, but apparently they've hit on a few things recently. I will say this about any potential swap - IF it were to come to fruition, SF would definitely have to add to that trade scenario. Sure, you're getting a kid with high upside, but he's barely played at all, including college, he's coming off a fractured ankle, and two years have already been shaved off his rookie deal. I also wonder how JJ would react to going from a guy in Cousins whose helped him set all types of records, to an unproven commodity.

NFL Notifications
RUMOR:
The #Vikings and #49ers have had preliminary discussions about a Kirk Cousins/Trey Lance swap.

The Vikings aren’t confident Cousins is capable of leading them to a Super Bowl. Meanwhile, the 49ers believe that Cousins could be the missing piece just as Stafford was for the #Rams.

I think the odds Kirk gets traded hover somewhere around 1%, but I will say the narrative on this forum about "Jefferson would hate to be getting thrown to by (insert QB who's not Kirk)" is VASTLY overblown. JJ is a made guy. He's going to become the highest paid WR in the history of the NFL. Would he like to pad stats? Sure. But he's set regardless and by all indications is a team player. He seems smart enough to understand that finding a new QB is a solid longterm play.

I would hope so, but in the context of that trade scenario I'd still be a bit leery. Finding a new QB is indeed a solid long term play but finding a new QB who is going to turn out better than the one you have isn't that easy. I don't think making bank and being made is going to ease any concerns if the team picks the wrong guy and sets the them back however badly.
The only way picking the wrong guy would set the team back is of they trade away a bunch of assets to do so.  Getting off the mercenary Kirk train would open a lot of cap space to allow for improving areas of need through FA amd making it easier to allocate future draft picks towards finding that QBOTF.  However if they go all in on a player from deep in the first round, using future draft picks, they lose the cap savings those picks could provide,  plus they still don't have a cheap QB, nor a means to aquire one.  IMO unless they are rock fucking solid sold on a guy they need to play it fairly conservative and see what falls to what they can afford to grab.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@pattersaur said:
@PurpleCrush said:

NFL Notifications
RUMOR:

The only way picking the wrong guy would set the team back is of they trade away a bunch of assets to do so.  Getting off the mercenary Kirk train would open a lot of cap space to allow for improving areas of need through FA amd making it easier to allocate future draft picks towards finding that QBOTF.  However if they go all in on a player from deep in the first round, using future draft picks, they lose the cap savings those picks could provide,  plus they still don't have a cheap QB, nor a means to aquire one.  IMO unless they are rock fucking solid sold on a guy they need to play it fairly conservative and see what falls to what they can afford to grab.

Not sure if that's the only way it would set them back. Picking Ponder is one example. I think your scenario is more akin to really throwing your team off the rails, at least if the guy you pick isn't worth the return on investment.

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@pattersaur said:
@PurpleCrush said:

NFL Notifications
RUMOR:

Not sure if that's the only way it would set them back. Picking Ponder is one example. I think your scenario is more akin to really throwing your team off the rails, at least if the guy you pick isn't worth the return on investment.
How did Ponder set the team back?  They should have continued to draft QB even though they picked Ponder,   he was 1 draft pick,  that hardly sets the team back for years,  failure to account for the high potential that he would bust is what set the team back.

@JimmyinSD: How did Ponder set the team back?  They should have continued to draft QB even though they picked Ponder,   he was 1 draft pick,  that hardly sets the team back for years,  failure to account for the high potential that he would bust is what set the team back.

Failure to account for the high potential that he would be a bust? All the QBs taken that year were a bust (Locker, Gabbert). And the next (Luck, RGIII, Weeden). And the next (Manuel). And the next (Bortles, Manziel, Teddy). And the next (Winston, Mariota) And the next (Goff, Wentz). 

So account for the high potential of Ponder busting....by continuing to draft QBs? The smartest thing the Vikings did was to get up from the craps table and sign Kirk Cousins. Now, if we want to roll the dice on another QB, that's fine. Go for it. As long as we still have Cousins, we can do that and limit how much a miss will set us back. 

Ponder completely set the team back at least a couple years. We squandered a couple prime AD years trying to make the Ponder pick work. It was a disaster and it's hard to think anyone would believe otherwise.
I want the Vikings to land a young new QB as bad as anyone, but I am aware of the risks in doing so.

Was listening to Soloman Wilcots and Bill Polian on NFL Radio this morning and they brought up the Cousins to the 49ers rumor. Polian stated he still believes Shannahan would want a reliable veteran with Purdy being out (maybe all season) and says Cousins to SF would make a ton of sense for both teams as he stated the Vikings would want Lance and to have a QB on their rookie deal still. Polian stated Sam Darnold throws too many interceptions to be a reliable option. Stated the biggest obstacle in making that deal wouldn't be compensation, but getting Cousins salary manageable enough to make the trade work. 

Stay tuned, this might not be a dead deal 

Someone mentioned it up above, but Lance only has a couple years left on that Rookie deal and a bunch of question marks on his ability to excel in the NFL.

No way in hell I trade Kirko for him. A reasonable amount of draft capital? Sure - if we had some.