Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings to get involved at the trade deadline?
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

Of  the Vikings final 11 games, 6 are @ HOME.

Even if they go 5-6 to finish the season at 10-7  it's very unlikely their pick will be in the Top 20.
This exactly.  I would gladly trade a pick in the 20s (or 30s) for a Derrick Brown or a Brian Burns from Carolina.  Not only can you get a young player with a lot of upside, but you also push down the value of the pick you dealt.

LA has traded pretty much every first round pick they have had for the last decade and its worked out for them.

Get Brown and put him on the DL or get Burns and put Hunter on the DL.  Either way it's an upgrade in run stuffing and QB pressure
This! I keep hearing about corner depth and backup tight ends. Fuck that. At 5-1, we're probably going to make the playoffs. So go for it. It's what the Rams did last year. At the trade deadline, they brought in Von Miller. Couple days later they signed OBJ. IOW, they went for it. And they won the Super Bowl. 

Derrick Brown or Brian Burns would be the kind of players I'd be looking at. Someone who can help take us over the top. They'll cost more in trade than Von Miller did (a 2nd and a 3rd), but there's a good reason for that. They're young, very good, and on rookie contracts. 

I "get" Von Miller. He was super expensive and 32 when the Broncos traded him. But I will never understand why teams "rebuild" by moving good, young, cheap players--but you know what they say about a fool and his money. 
Agree that I would be great to get those guys, but I think too much is being made of Carolina trading off all their assets and blowing it up.

Like they just have D.J. Moore a contract extension and he's a good young WR.  Derrick Brown and Burns are both young studs on rookie deals.  These guys are core players for them moving forward...  I doubt they'd trade them.

It makes more sense to trade McCaffrey since he's 1) a top RB when healthy and 2) his career arc doesn't fit with a rebuild.  I would expect to see more trades like Robbie Anderson and other vets that may have value for a team now but don't fit into the Panthers long-term plan.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Lotta buzz, mostly fake, but some serious, that the Vikings may want to bring in OBJ.

I'm for making a big move, but I don't see how this makes any sense at all. Vikings need defense, a run stopper, a pass rusher, a corner maybe....not another damn receiver. 
Rams OBJ from last year would instantly be the 2nd best pass catcher we have and could help us, but the giant question mark is if he’s still that guy. It usually takes players a season to really get back to full strength after an ACL. So is 80-90% OBJ worth it for half a season and playoffs? Probably not, especially if adding him is at the expense of adding a piece on defense, like you pointed out.

If the Vikings were to sign Odell I hope they’d push for an affordable 2-year deal. I want Thielen to retire as a Viking but that’ll likely be up to him. Having OBJ in hand might help a lot with negotiating a salary reduction for AT. $19M in 2023 ain’t happening for him, as I’m sure he knows. 

If they got OBJ how long would it be before he is pissed he is not the focus of the offense.  Would he be satisfied being the #2 guy behind Jefferson?  Maybe so as long as the team is winning but if they stumble for a game or two then what?  Keeping Jefferson happy and involved in the offense is more important than bringing in OBJ and hoping they both remain happy.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

Of  the Vikings final 11 games, 6 are @ HOME.

Even if they go 5-6 to finish the season at 10-7  it's very unlikely their pick will be in the Top 20.
This exactly.  I would gladly trade a pick in the 20s (or 30s) for a Derrick Brown or a Brian Burns from Carolina.  Not only can you get a young player with a lot of upside, but you also push down the value of the pick you dealt.

LA has traded pretty much every first round pick they have had for the last decade and its worked out for them.

Get Brown and put him on the DL or get Burns and put Hunter on the DL.  Either way it's an upgrade in run stuffing and QB pressure
This! I keep hearing about corner depth and backup tight ends. Fuck that. At 5-1, we're probably going to make the playoffs. So go for it. It's what the Rams did last year. At the trade deadline, they brought in Von Miller. Couple days later they signed OBJ. IOW, they went for it. And they won the Super Bowl. 

Derrick Brown or Brian Burns would be the kind of players I'd be looking at. Someone who can help take us over the top. They'll cost more in trade than Von Miller did (a 2nd and a 3rd), but there's a good reason for that. They're young, very good, and on rookie contracts. 

I "get" Von Miller. He was super expensive and 32 when the Broncos traded him. But I will never understand why teams "rebuild" by moving good, young, cheap players--but you know what they say about a fool and his money. 
Agree that I would be great to get those guys, but I think too much is being made of Carolina trading off all their assets and blowing it up.

Like they just have D.J. Moore a contract extension and he's a good young WR.  Derrick Brown and Burns are both young studs on rookie deals.  These guys are core players for them moving forward...  I doubt they'd trade them.

It makes more sense to trade McCaffrey since he's 1) a top RB when healthy and 2) his career arc doesn't fit with a rebuild.  I would expect to see more trades like Robbie Anderson and other vets that may have value for a team now but don't fit into the Panthers long-term plan.
Yeah, I'm not expecting them to trade either one of Burns or Brown. Like I said, it would be foolish for all the reasons I mentioned above. Still, fun to talk about. 

Quote: @"Greylock" said:
If they got OBJ how long would it be before he is pissed he is not the focus of the offense.  Would he be satisfied being the #2 guy behind Jefferson?  Maybe so as long as the team is winning but if they stumble for a game or two then what?  Keeping Jefferson happy and involved in the offense is more important than bringing in OBJ and hoping they both remain happy.
OBJ refers to JJ as his little brother from his LSU days so he's not likely to rock that boat.  He knows Jefferson is going to be #1.  He may battle for time with Thielen though.  Vikes are 5-1 and I think OBJ just wants to win.  I'd be more worried about OBJs health and subsequent decline.

I read somewhere today that OBJ might not be game ready until mid December. I doubt the Vikes pursue him if this is accurate.

This team is not one player away from the Lombardi. If they can get a good player at a great value, I'm all for it. But they are already a little short on draft capitol and cap space. I would be surprised to see a big trade. Fun to speculate though!

I'll just throw a name into the pool as I swing by for a moment - Daron Payne. 

Hey Geoff, hope all is good 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I'll just throw a name into the pool as I swing by for a moment - Daron Payne. 
Interesting. That's a trade I could get behind. Fits a need for sure.