Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peterson's Evening
Why is it that this is even a discussion?  He is an aging back, who had too high a salary, has to come out on passing downs, and is not really about team concept.  He is about the impact he has on the game plan

He plays for another team, so we are not obligated to cheer for him or wish him well.  I, for one, was not looking for him to put up 1500 yards rushing after we let him go.  The Saints use of him speaks volumes.  The Saints were in the game in the 1st half, and they largely sat AP after the first few series.

AD had a bad night, but I don’t think it means he’s
automatically obsolete.  The main issue
for him, is that they got behind and it forced them out of the formations that
he’s able to participate in.  He’s just
not your guy if you want to be running a pass heavy offensive scheme, like if
you get behind.  But if the Saints get a
good lead and want to battering ram the defense a bit in the 4 minute offense,
suit him up.  Brees can pass from under
center.  AD can pass block a little bit
and run routes a little bit.  He’s not
completely deadweight in an under center scenario, but once you switch out of a
balanced offense to one that is pass heavy, why wouldn’t you switch to one of
the other two backs.

I still maintain that he should have tried to go to Dallas
for whatever they would take him for. 
You let Zeke be the man, AD is the primary backup.  He’s in Texas where everyone loves him.  Dallas was dead last in 2016 for percentage
of passing plays.  They were the 5th
most likely team to utilize snaps under center. 
They have an OLine that would let him get running with a full head of
steam and give people the illusion that he was still the AD of old.

I don’t think it’s where you would go if you were trying to
get a ring, but it’s definitely where you would go to maximize his individual
production.

Dallas is way closer to a ring than New Orleans is. They almost made it last year. If that's his thinking he'd have been much better off in Dallas.

As for AP, I just don't care. I was done with him 3 years ago. At this point his liabilities make him more of an anchor than a sail. He can't block, he can barely run routes, he can barely catch, he's never bothered to learn blocking assignments and I think it's because it's probably too difficult for him.

We held on to him 3 years too long, it cost us 45 million dollars and we got 1 season of production.

Good riddance.

Once they got Elliott, they no longer wanted Peterson in Dallas.  He signed with the Saints because that's who offered him employment, not because he felt they were destiny and a great fit

I'd be interested to see the long runs AP has this year.   I dont think he will have many, if any.  

He is the type of back that will carry it 25 or 30 times and break one.   Problem is his age - the reaction time from seeing the opening and processing it to make the cuts slows with age - and that is why I didn't think signing him was worth it. 

Quote: @Tom Moore said:
 He signed with the Saints because that's who offered him employment, not because he felt they were destiny and a great fit
The 2017 schedule with "Saints at Vikings week 1 MNF" came out on a Thursday. Peterson signed with NO the next Tuesday, 5 days later. This was about getting revenge on prime time TV for not being "appreciated" enough, and it blew up in his face.