Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did we just dodge a bullet with Harbaugh?
Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Some of us may not live long enough for the “long term”

selfish? yes, but we have lived through six decades of disappointment.
Why does hiring O'Connell instead of Harbaugh automatically push us into we won't be competitive for years?  I mean McVay took over a Rams team that was consistently mediocre or below average under Jeff Fischer and had them in a Super Bowl within two years with Jared Goff as his QB.  He's now coaching in his 2nd Super Bowl in 5 years as a HC.  LaFleur elevated a Packers team (with Rodgers) that had stalled out under Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson to two NFCCGs and two #1 seeds in the NFC.  Staley took over the Chargers last year and had them on the brink of a playoff berth at 9-8 after going 5-11 and 7-9 the two seasons prior.

I guess I'm not automatically thinking rebuild with O'Connell.  This offense was good enough with an inexperienced OC, Kirk Cousins, and a stubborn HC in Zimmer to win 8 games despite a defense that wasn't good at all.  Now we have a young, innovative offensive HC that should be able to keep the offense at a high level and maybe we can get a fresh set of eyes on defense and get it fixed.  Why so much doom and gloom?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
Hard to say and we'll never know. I'll focus on what we have and not what might have been. In fact, it could be that it was never going to happen with Harbaugh if his expectations were he was going to get the job regardless of the interview. Presumptive if true and tone deaf to some extent. Not what the new culture is about and Kwesi did his due diligence with Harbaugh.

If Viking fans can't focus on "what might have been"......????????
Oh geez another 10 years of therapy down the toilet.   
Ah  Crap---that's the mentality that sees Sean freakin Mannion under center or just wasting a spot on your team roster.     :'(

Quote: @minny65 said:
IMO - Yes, we dodged a bullet

I really did not want the sideshow Harbaugh here at all.  
Not only did we dodge a bullet, but we grab the bullet out of midair and rifled it back at Harbaugh/Michigan with a note: not good enough Smile   signed Chuck F'in Norris (division).   

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@Vanguard83 said:
Some of us may not live long enough for the “long term”

selfish? yes, but we have lived through six decades of disappointment.
Why does hiring O'Connell instead of Harbaugh automatically push us into we won't be competitive for years?  I mean McVay took over a Rams team that was consistently mediocre or below average under Jeff Fischer and had them in a Super Bowl within two years with Jared Goff as his QB.  He's now coaching in his 2nd Super Bowl in 5 years as a HC.  LaFleur elevated a Packers team (with Rodgers) that had stalled out under Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson to two NFCCGs and two #1 seeds in the NFC.  Staley took over the Chargers last year and had them on the brink of a playoff berth at 9-8 after going 5-11 and 7-9 the two seasons prior.

I guess I'm not automatically thinking rebuild with O'Connell.  This offense was good enough with an inexperienced OC, Kirk Cousins, and a stubborn HC in Zimmer to win 8 games despite a defense that wasn't good at all.  Now we have a young, innovative offensive HC that should be able to keep the offense at a high level and maybe we can get a fresh set of eyes on defense and get it fixed.  Why so much doom and gloom?

In fairness McVay doesn't have a 1st round pick until the 2030s or so.  He's very much using future resources to gain immediate success. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
The idea of a 10 year contract was enough to turn me off. I am ok with the decision.
You are the second person to note the 10 year as a deal breaker.... why?  WTF do we care if they gave him a lifetime contract,   it doesn't count against the cap and its just a buy out away from him being gone at any time.  Some would say that might make the wilfs hesitant to move on,  but I say nah,  that becomes a business write off for a multi billion dollar franchise at that point,  the wilfs are business men, they deal with losses and gains daily.